Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are 06 Commanders or Commanders in general known for brake noise??Not all the time but it's definitely there pulling up to lights and when slowing down sometimes.Already put new pads on and rotors were turned.Could it be the semi metallic pads? I know they made noise back in the 90's on my Lincoln's.Soemtime's it's a squeak,sometime's it's more then that.Any ideas??Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Did you get the cheap pads?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Semi-Mettallic pads tend to squeak, they have improved over the years to reduce the squeeking, BUT, logically, if you buy cheap replacement semi-metallic pads, they are more likely to squeek then the higher quality pads that have better quality control and materials to help prevent the squeeking.

Many better quality pads include anti-squeel shims attached to the back of the pads, to reduce brake noise, cheaper pads will NOT have this extra, and they will likely make more noise.

The Commander has Ceramic Pads OEM, but don't be fooled, all brake pads are a formulation of all sorts of materials, and have always included metal, its just the semi-metallic pads were when they went to high levels of metal, ceramic pads have metal in them also, just not as much and they add a lot of the new ceramic materials.

Keep in mind, all the Dealers have started to stock aftermarket pads, so if you go to the dealer, more likely than NOT, you get aftermarket pads and NOT the same OEM pads put on during assembly of the vehicle.

Finally, when doing a brake job, cleanliness and attention to detail is important. Get dirt, grease or foreign debri between the pads and rotor and you can have problems and noise will likely result. The brakes have lube points that need to be cleaned and trued up with a file, and fresh hi-temp brake grease applied, this is NOT done, then it will create noise. The contacts points between the rotor and pads, often needs some sort of treatment, to help ensure against noise, and there is usually instructions per specific vehicle, brake system and pads as too what treatment should be used. You have to review FSM, instructions included with the Pads, etc. Sometimes its just a light layer of hi-temp grease, other times its a special silicon gel, and recently, I just got a set of pads that the instructions said the anti-squeel shim is actually performed by a layer of material backed into the back of the pad, that also improved cooling of the pads, and that they be installed totally dry on the contact points between pad and caliper.

If you missed any of that, you might want to go back and redo it. If you got a cheap set of pads, might want to get a better quality set and replace the cheapo's. Finally, if you still have squeeling, I'd get the silicon goop for brake pads, anti-noise stuff, and apply it on the back of the pads.

And finally still, if all else fails, I'd look at the rotors and consider replacing them. The modern pads heat up the rotors so much, its becoming more and more common now-a-days that rotors develop problems in their metallurgy and develop hard spots, etc, I've had happen to me, and it was a vibration, NOT noise though, and nothing worked, even turning the rotors, until I finally replaced the rotors and the problem suddenly disappeared.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that detailed response! I have no idea what rotors were put on,but they were done at a delaership.I am going to print this out tomorrow and give it to the service guy and see what of this,if anything,was done.Thanks!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I am very pleased with my Wagner Thermoquiets pads with about 10K-15K miles on them. No noise and performance is equal if not better than stock OE pads which lasted around 60,000 miles. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
im in the same boat with the squealling...we bought the wife's '09 new and the lous shrill has been there since day one...i change the pads at 10k miles because it got embarassing...had the rotors turned, new pads, etc...the whole nine yards...still squeal when they get mildly warm and horrendous when they are hot and the new pads have about 32k on them...nothing has worked...been looking into some EBC organics...brake performance may suffer a little but no metallic so hoping that will stop the squeal...please keep us informed if you find a good solution...

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Chrysler has the "Mopar Value Line Brakes" pads now, they sell at the Dealer. I'm told if you go to the dealer for brake pads, this is what you will get, aftermarket pads of medium to lesser qaulity, NOT the OEM pads. Only if you go the parts counter yourself with the actual part number for OEM pads, they will look up and give you value line pads.

Don't know if the Wagner Thermoquiets are Semi-Metallic or Ceramic, but you've got two testimonials that they do work without noise on the Commander, so that is one to keep in mind. I've used the Wagner Thermoquiets on my Mini-Van and got the same result every else mentioned for the Commander.

We put the NAPA Ultra Premium Pads (Ceramic) on my Brothers '07 Jeep GC, identical brakes and pads, weights a bit different, even put them on the old rotors without turning. No Noise, perform very well. The rotors were in good shape, still very flat and smooth, we made sure to use Hi-Temp brake grease and took apart the caliper pins and lubed them, lubed the contact points on the pads and lubed the contact points between the caliper and pads.

Keep in mind, the OEM pads are Ceramic, I would get Ceramic Replacement Pads NOT Semi-Mettallic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts