Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 commander with 30,000 on it and i'm in Wisconsin. Over the past couple days I have been getting like a creaking or a light brake pad grab/chattering right before the commander comes to a stop. It's only when i'm coming from a slow stop not a fast abrupt stop. Could this be from salt or what I really don't know what else it could be?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I was just in Green Bay and my Jeep was making weird noises in the cold. They went away. If it doesnt go away then brakes should probably be checked out. You could have salt, sand, gravel, or anything stuck between the pad and the rotor. Or brakes just need replacing.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Inspect the brakes and look for anything wrong, it could be anything already suggested, and likely you'll spot just doing a close inspection.

Most brake pads have "rub tabs" and are designed to give you warning the pad is worn out and needs to be replaced, and that warning is often a light grinding/chattering/squeeking noise. If you can see a little metal tab attached to the pad, touching the rotor, that is the source of the noise and the indication the pads need to be replaced, they are worn out.

If you let them wear any farther, they will likely damage the rotors and it will be a lot more expensive of a brake job.

The Commander is one of the few vehicles that the rear pads wear as fast, if NOT a little faster, than the front, so inspect the brakes at all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just had to replace the rear pads at 46000, they were almost completely worn out. I had a rear tire stem/sensor with a slow leak, when I took it to Firestone to get fixed they found the worn out pads. They wanted $174 to replace, so, after a stop at Advanced Auto, $43 and about a 1/2 hour of work at home I had them replaced. I checked the front pads and I probably have another 5000 miles or so left on them. Question, since I bought the Jeep used at 29,000 miles, do you think the fronts were replaced or do these Jeeps just wear out the rears faster?

FYI, I didn't get any noise from the rear warning me they were worn, and they were down to within a 1/32 of bare metal.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I just had to replace the rear pads at 46000, they were almost completely worn out. I had a rear tire stem/sensor with a slow leak, when I took it to Firestone to get fixed they found the worn out pads. They wanted $174 to replace, so, after a stop at Advanced Auto, $43 and about a 1/2 hour of work at home I had them replaced. I checked the front pads and I probably have another 5000 miles or so left on them. Question, since I bought the Jeep used at 29,000 miles, do you think the fronts were replaced or do these Jeeps just wear out the rears faster?

FYI, I didn't get any noise from the rear warning me they were worn, and they were down to within a 1/32 of bare metal.
Seen several posts where the rear pads wore out faster than front. Most vehicles it usually the front that wear at least twice as fast as the rear pads/shoes. Might be the 50/50 weight split, required bigger rear pads, but they used off the shelf brakes for vehicles with a heavier front weight bias.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with traction control too.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with traction control too.
Definitely, at least as likely as what I already mentioned, if NOT more, it would vary how and what conditions a person drove, but the EBCS could engage the rear brakes more often than a non-EBCS car and wear them faster then other rear brakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts