Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Jeep Commander 3.7L V6 bought new.

It seems to stop fine, but when I'm stopped at a light or similar it feels like the breaks begin to loose a little pressure forcing me to press the break a little more for the vehicle to stay stopped. I put new calipers, rotors, pads and fluid last summer. I have heard that this may be the master cylinder or brake booster. I've never changed either of these, but I'm pretty handy if I have instructions. Can anyone tell me how to determine what my problem is? Since its brake related I would like to take care of it asap.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2008 Jeep Commander 3.7L V6 bought new.

It seems to stop fine, but when I'm stopped at a light or similar it feels like the breaks begin to loose a little pressure forcing me to press the break a little more for the vehicle to stay stopped. I put new calipers, rotors, pads and fluid last summer. I have heard that this may be the master cylinder or brake booster. I've never changed either of these, but I'm pretty handy if I have instructions. Can anyone tell me how to determine what my problem is? Since its brake related I would like to take care of it asap.

Thanks
Brake fluid level is good. I checked it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 1st suspect would be a failed, or failing Master Cylinder.
@Big Blue Thanks. I was doing more reading and it definitely sounds more like a leak somewhere probably the master cylinder. The more I read it doesnt seem like the booster. Is there any way to test the master cylinder or after 164k miles should I just replace it and see if it fixes the issue? Are there any tips or tricks to replacing it. On the surface it looks pretty simple.

Thanks again!

·
Administrator
6,712 Posts
@Big Blue Thanks. I was doing more reading and it definitely sounds more like a leak somewhere probably the master cylinder. The more I read it doesnt seem like the booster. Is there any way to test the master cylinder or after 164k miles should I just replace it and see if it fixes the issue? Are there any tips or tricks to replacing it. On the surface it looks pretty simple.

Thanks again!
@Greenstarfish03;

I've never done it myself, so, I don't have alot of first hand information to share with you about it.

You could go to a reputable brake & muffler shop and have them inspect & test it.

I do know that you have to be careful about properly bleeding the brake system completely of all the old brake fluid - if you're going to try and do it yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts