Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brake related clonk?? Maybe prop/drive shaft splines.

Hi chaps

I have a 2006 UK spec 3.0CRD limited which has 20k miles on the clock.

The problem I have is after applying the brakes and then releasing them I get a clonk eminating down the RHS of the car. I've checked the disks and pads on the rear but everything looks quite new. Don't want to give the car to a UK dealer to check as they are good to useless.

Any ideas what to look for?

Thanks for any help.

Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a quick update. The clonk occurs mainly when I pull away after braking. The noise appears to be coming mainly from the rear.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Sounds like maybe a possible rear differential problem. I do not know how to check but sure someone will. Was the differential serviced lately? using correct fluids. What kind of drive system? QT, QT2 or QD2? Just a start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's something worth looking at but considering the mileage I can't actually see any wear any where.

The noise kind of sounds metallic as if something is releasing like it would if the rear brakes had shoes only. Once the car is driving and the brakes not used it doesn't really occur.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just a guess here but maybe the rear caliper isn't fully realeasing after coming to a full stop and the noise is the rotor forcing the pad off of it when you start moving again?

Can you reproduce the sound regularly? Maybe have another person stand outside and see if they can pinpoint the location of the clunk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I thought was the initial problem. The brakes are fine, dismantled and re-greased.

However now I've had another set of eyes look at it do these cars have problems with the rear propshaft? I've been told that the splines, if faulty, can create a 'cracking' noise when taking up the drive. Any thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts