Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that the Jeep Commander (5.7l & Diesel) was the worst braking vehicle (with a Mitsubishi L200) in a test of 15, with the BMW 550i the best in the group:
Braking cold/warm from 62 mph 41/45 yards (Audi Q7 37/40 & Suzuki Grand Vitara 40/43). Braking cold warm from 81 mph 77/149 yards (Audi Q7 63/70 & Suzuki Grand Vitara 71/85). Braking on surface with one side on ice and the other side with grip 130 yards (Audi Q7 123 & Suzuki Grand Vitara 147). However, the last test stated that the directional stability was good, while that of the Audi and Suzuki was mediocre.
Now, they emphasize that the critical problem of the Jeep is repeated braking, that could happen when you drive down a mountain, or with high loads, such as having a trailer. However, unlike in Germany, where I do drive faster, here I cannot see myself driving down a mountain with high loads at 80 mph, having to brake repeatingly, so the 150 yards braking distance does not seem to be critical me here in the USA. My own experience driving up and down the Appalachian Mountains has been good.
However, as tire pressure and with it, surface contact area, play a large role in the way the JEEP experiences negative acceleration, anyone who makes changes to those should take the effects on braking into consideration.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If it is in English, could you post the link to the article?

the 2007 models add a hydraulic brake boost doesn't it?

·
Registered
142 Posts
While my response is unscientific (no data), I think the braking on my Commander is the best of any SUV I've owned (Ford Bronco, Chev Suburban and Dodge Durango.) I did read a report in "Boat and Trailer" magazine a few months back where they rated the Commander SUV of the year. The article compared the Commander to 3 othere SUVs and one the areas the Commander won was braking.

I don't intend to try any braking test coming down some hilll at 80 MPH and testing for repeated braking. My Commander does the job I need and that's enough for me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If the Commander is the worst, I'd hate to see how the Cherokee would do. I loved that vehicle and was more than a little disappointed when it was discontinued, but braking was NOT its strong point. To me, the Commander brakes better than any vehicle I've ever owned except for the 1985 528e I had back in high school (which is also 4 wheel disc).

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had fitted a Baer Eradispeed braking system to my supercharged 2001 Tahoe, and that helped increase the rotor size and braking capability. I did that after I almost rear ended someone in the first couple months of ownership, having just transitioned my a 1997 M3 to the 2001 Tahoe. I wasn't used to the (limited) braking capability.

I have not been overly impressed or unimpressed with the Commander brakes, so I have left them stock. They seem to be smooth, but require a good amount of pedal effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts