Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a preferred stainless steel brake line or other upgrade path to the brakes? Brakes feel overall mushy to me yet all rotors and pads are well in spec. Is there a kit like StopTech or other that has proven well on the XK?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I've been really happy with the factory brake setup actually,even with bigger tires.

I'd make sure that all rubber lines are in good shape and consider new pads or something. Have it flushed. The OEM stuff is good but unfortunately the "value" factory replacements are not as good IIRC. What pads are you running currently?

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
Is there a preferred stainless steel brake line or other upgrade path to the brakes? Brakes feel overall mushy to me yet all rotors and pads are well in spec. Is there a kit like StopTech or other that has proven well on the XK?
I've not heard of, or seen any discussed.

Just to echo what luckyse7ens said, I think most owners (myself included) are pretty satisfied with the factory brake system.

·
Registered
487 Posts
There has been some debate in this thread about whether SRT8 WK brake lines will fit a Commander. SRT8 brake lines are the only stainless steel brake lines available, so that would be the only upgrade path, if they fit.

That being said, if the brakes are suddenly feeling mushy, I would look over the brake system for leaks and try to bleed them again.

Also, as many others have said, the XK has pretty decent brakes considering its size and weight. Comparing it to a sedan or even a crossover, the brakes will feel awful, but keeping in mind that the XK is around the weight of a Suburban, the brakes aren't too bad.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just purchased these. Will install in the next few weeks. Power Stop K2220-36 1-Click Extreme Truck and Tow Brake Kit

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just purchased these. Will install in the next few weeks. Power Stop K2220-36 1-Click Extreme Truck and Tow Brake Kit
Just looking for updates and an overall rating on the power stop brake kit you purchased. I'm in the market and am looking for a good setup on my Commander.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
Review on Amazon:
By James H.
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Power Stop K2220-36 1-Click Extreme Truck and Tow Brake Kit (Automotive)
Fit 2010 Jeep Commander perfectly without modification.

Link:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Power+Stop+K2220-36+1-Click+Extreme+Truck+and+Tow+Brake+Kit
You know, during normal driving - when I'm not towing anything, the factory brakes are more than adequate;

However after giving some thought over the last few months, about how my Commander brakes when pulling my trailer, fully-loaded, I figured it was time to upgrade the factory brakes and I decided to go this route and ordered this kit that @quickster2 recommended;

Power Stop K2220-36 Front & Rear Z36 Truck and Tow Brake Kit;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UB4WSA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#productDetails

Not cheap - but it looks to be a quality upgrade to the factory brakes.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
@quickster2 ;

I'll echo @007 XK 's question;

Do you have any updates/feedback on this install?

I would imagine you've installed this brake/slotted rotor kit by now - since you bought these back in March??

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@quickster2 ;

I'll echo @007 XK 's question;

Do you have any updates/feedback on this install?

I would imagine you've installed this brake/slotted rotor kit by now - since you bought these back in March??
After 3000 miles I am very satisfied. Stopping power very good even with trailer, no discernible brake dust, and the rotors rust in rain when I don't drive much less that a couple of other vehicles I have. Would highly recommend.

Sorry for the late reply.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
After 3000 miles I am very satisfied. Stopping power very good even with trailer, no discernible brake dust, and the rotors rust in rain when I don't drive much less that a couple of other vehicles I have. Would highly recommend.

Sorry for the late reply.
No problem quickster2 - you are the 3rd person I've talked to that has them installed - one guy has had them a couple of years and all the reviews have been stellar.

·
Registered
359 Posts
There has been some debate in this thread about whether SRT8 WK brake lines will fit a Commander. SRT8 brake lines are the only stainless steel brake lines available, so that would be the only upgrade path, if they fit.

That being said, if the brakes are suddenly feeling mushy, I would look over the brake system for leaks and try to bleed them again.

Also, as many others have said, the XK has pretty decent brakes considering its size and weight. Comparing it to a sedan or even a crossover, the brakes will feel awful, but keeping in mind that the XK is around the weight of a Suburban, the brakes aren't too bad.
SRT8 brake lines won't work, part of the Brembo conversation is the requirements to get the SRT brake lines because the stockers won't work.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
SRT8 brake lines won't work, part of the Brembo conversation is the requirements to get the SRT brake lines because the stockers won't work.
SH - were you drinking when you posted this??

I've re-read it like 4 times - and I still can't make sense of it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
SH - were you drinking when you posted this??

I've re-read it like 4 times - and I still can't make sense of it.
Lol no.

Ok, SRT8 brake lines for the brembos will not physically bolt to our factory brake calipers

I know this, because part of the SRT8 brembo conversion on our commanders requires the purchase of new brake likes, specifically for the SRT8 GC brembos. Our stock brake lines (stockers) will not bolt up.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
Lol no.

Ok, SRT8 brake lines for the brembos will not physically bolt to our factory brake calipers

I know this, because part of the SRT8 brembo conversion on our commanders requires the purchase of new brake likes, specifically for the SRT8 GC brembos. Our stock brake lines (stockers) will not bolt up.
That makes more sense - thanks for clarifying.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts