Jeep Commander Forum banner

Brake upgrades?

9K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  rblapham 
#1 ·
Is there a preferred stainless steel brake line or other upgrade path to the brakes? Brakes feel overall mushy to me yet all rotors and pads are well in spec. Is there a kit like StopTech or other that has proven well on the XK?

#4 ·
I've been really happy with the factory brake setup actually,even with bigger tires.

I'd make sure that all rubber lines are in good shape and consider new pads or something. Have it flushed. The OEM stuff is good but unfortunately the "value" factory replacements are not as good IIRC. What pads are you running currently?

#6 ·
There has been some debate in this thread about whether SRT8 WK brake lines will fit a Commander. SRT8 brake lines are the only stainless steel brake lines available, so that would be the only upgrade path, if they fit.

That being said, if the brakes are suddenly feeling mushy, I would look over the brake system for leaks and try to bleed them again.

Also, as many others have said, the XK has pretty decent brakes considering its size and weight. Comparing it to a sedan or even a crossover, the brakes will feel awful, but keeping in mind that the XK is around the weight of a Suburban, the brakes aren't too bad.

#11 ·
#22 · (Edited)
Just 2 days ago I replaced my front rotors and pads with these - Power Stop street warrior kit. It seems to be more like the way I drive. Day 2 and I really love them, even though they haven't been broken in yet they really stop much better than the OEM that was on before. Time will tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.