Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to replace either their front or rear pads? I am starting to hear a noise from the rear wheel when I apply the brakes. I have close to 36K on my 06 XK

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
What kind of noise? Squeaking? Clicking? Dragging? Typically your front brakes would wear out first a good portion of the weight is transferred to the front when stopping.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a Squeaking noise, just happens when I firt hit the brakes. I have also noticed noise while traveling and making turns.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Creek said:
It is a Squeaking noise, just happens when I firt hit the brakes. I have also noticed noise while traveling and making turns.
If it's just when you first touch the brakes then don't worry about it. The compounds that Jeep uses in it brake systems are notorious for squeaking. If it is doing without your foot on the brake then there is some other issue that should be addressed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you do alot of around town light braking you may haave some metallic glaze build up making the pads squeal a bit. I'd suggest a couple hard stops from 60-70 mph. Pick a safe road, no traffice, etc, where you can do this 2-3 times, usually doing this will take the glaze off. Might be a good idea to check the thickness of your rear pads before you do this though. Otherwise you may not be happy with what happens :eek:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had to get oil changed this weekend had the dealer look at brakes, said it was a metalic squeal that will come and go. I will be spending the 28-Nov 3 on the OBX sand, that should clean them off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts