Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 06 jacked up with the tires off and calipers loose, I can't get either one off. Both bolts are out and the calipers move but I can't remove them. This is not my first Brake job. Am I forgetting something?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The piston cups are hollow, the pads have pins protruding from the surface. So when you unbolt the caliper, it will slide back some, but the inside of the cup will hit the pins protruding from the pad surface and stop it.

You've got to get the pistons forced back into the caliper before it will slide off. You can use a C-Clamp to compress it about 1/4" maybe only an 1/8", or and this is what I did, carefully insert a big screwdriver into the opening in the back of the caliper and insert it into one of the cooling slots in the rotor, then wedge it against the opening in the caliper and it will force the pistons back in that 1/4" needed to clear the pins.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mongo, I had to put things back together since we had a sever weather alert, I will give it a go tomorrow or Wed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Be smart and use car stands

Also make sure you have some car stands under the car. Don't just reply on you car jack. So many people have had crushed legs or back from cars falling off jacks. I place a stand under the front cross member near the wish bone point as well as the car body behind the wheel arch.
Why because i was slack once and had the car fall off the jack. It missed me but scared the **** out of me. I was very lucky.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
NOT only can a car fall off the jack, the jack suffer a blow out and collapse. Once you've got the vehicle on jackstands, I give it a good push back and forth before climbing under, I'd rather have the vehicle fall of the jackstands before hand standing next to it, than for it to fall off later with me under it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts