Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a ques.. would a grand cherokee srt-8 brembo brake set up work on a Commander? From my understanding a commander is basically a Grand Cherokee with a different body.. The jeep is going to need brakes soon so I figure might as well upgrade a little bit since we plan to keep the jeep a long time.. Thanks for the help-suggestions

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
have a ques.. would a grand cherokee srt-8 brembo brake set up work on a Commander? From my understanding a commander is basically a Grand Cherokee with a different body.. The jeep is going to need brakes soon so I figure might as well upgrade a little bit since we plan to keep the jeep a long time.. Thanks for the help-suggestions
I'm willing to bet they would bolt right on, however you'd mostlikely need a larger diameter wheel. I dont think youd be able to clear those huge calipers on 17 inch wheels.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah that wont be an issue.. I am actually getting pricing now on some factory reproduction SRT8 wheels.. Have a connection in the wheel industry just not sure the connection can get them at wholesale or not.. I am praying he can.. I am pretty sure i can get them to work but just didnt know if I would need a different knuckle or place they bolt on.. since the rotors are bigger i assume the caliper would be higher.. just dont know.. Anyway help would be cool though.. I am sure there are some people that can answer this for me..

·
Registered
177 Posts
They are not direct bolt on, there is a member on JU that has done a complete srt-8 conversion on his laredo, from ground effect to brakes, he can answer your questions.
He goes by the name of Scottina06laredo. i'll try and find the post for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are not direct bolt on, there is a member on JU that has done a complete srt-8 conversion on his laredo, from ground effect to brakes, he can answer your questions.
He goes by the name of Scottina06laredo. i'll try and find the post for you.
awesome.. what is the JU???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nevermind googled his username and I see its jeepsunlimited.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Guess I was wrong. Glad I didnt bet any money!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It can be done with a few simple parts-
SRT8 front spindles and hubs
SRT8 Brembo calipers-loaded
SRT8 brake lines-all 4 w/copper washers
SRT8 adapter plates-rear
SRT8 caliper bolts

found this.. this is what I was thinking is that I would need the hub and spindles since the rotors are larger.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
That looks like its going to cost a lot. Is there a reason why you want the bigger brakes, besides being able to stop faster?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just like everyody that fixes up there car mainly the cool factor etc... but i figure since soon I will need a brake job I would slowly try to find the parts.. The brembo calipers are fairly cheap used.. I assume the spindles will be some cash but will just ned to find a wrecked one and buy the parts.. i got to get wheels and tires first.. This is my wifes car anyway so its lower on the list.. I have alot of parts I want for my caliber srt4.. thanks for the help guys. I will let you know if i end up doing it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I know this is a old post of mine but I just ordered some cross drilled and slotted rotors with Ceramic pads for my wifes Commander.. I hope to get some pics when I install them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
decided to keep the factory wheels so the SRT-8 brakes wouldnt have worked with them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went with R1concepts.com they ran 360 shipped for all 4 rotors with ceramic pads. Kit over there hooked me up.. They are cheap but did my research on the web and really couldnt find anything bad about them.. I hope they are better than OEM. I will try to post some pics.
BTW way i have a black 65th like you..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
48--- My rears are bad--fronts still ok so i figure if I am going to do it i am going to do all 4... from what i have read close to 50 thou the rears start to go.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I read some reviews online about the eline rotors from R1 rust so if I was you I would spray paint the CENTER of the rotor. I guess those rotors rust prematurely for some reason.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine are going to be coated so they wont rust.. Well atleast they say that is what the coating is for.. I assume if you dont have that then they would for sure.. Have you heard this about coated e-line rotors or just regular eline rotors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts