Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently took my 2006 Commander thru a car wash and left with (a clean car and) a broken antenna. Really all that broke / cracked was the small black "antenna escutcheon" at the base of the antenna. It's this part. I ordered a new one, but now I'm not sure exactly how to replace it?? I've been googling here for a bit and dont see much info on how to replace that piece on the Commander.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Here you go. The special nut wrench is shown also, although you should be able to get it off with pliers or something normal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Looks like the escutcheon can be slid down from the top you might only need to remove the nut to do it. 5 minute job. Just hold onto the antenna or tie a string onto it so it doesn't drop down into the fender well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @rblapham I just wanted some sort of reference as I started looking into replacing this. Glad it dosent seem like the fender will need to come off, or I wont need to disassemble any of the interior / dash, etc.

I may look to pick up one of those antenna nut wrench's though. I'll post back after I get it replaced.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks @rblapham I just wanted some sort of reference as I started looking into replacing this. Glad it dosent seem like the fender will need to come off, or I wont need to disassemble any of the interior / dash, etc.

I may look to pick up one of those antenna nut wrench's though. I'll post back after I get it replaced.

Thanks again!!

I just saw this thread, as I'm having a similar problem with my radio. May I ask where you found the part? I'll have to purchase a similar one as well. Thanks, and good luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just saw this thread, as I'm having a similar problem with my radio. May I ask where you found the part? I'll have to purchase a similar one as well. Thanks, and good luck!
Sorry it took a few days to respond. It's been a busy week here at work!!

This is the Antenna Escutcheon that I bought. I ended up paying a decent amount for shipping. But after all the searching I did, I was just at the point that I wanted / needed to buy it.

I've also been looking for the Antenna Nut Sockets. I checked at a couple of the local Auto Parts stores and they don't have them. I saw a set online listed at Home Depot. I'm going to run out at lunch today and see if I can pick them up. After that I dont think it'll be that hard to swap out. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here you go. The special nut wrench is shown also, although you should be able to get it off with pliers or something normal. View attachment 40850

So the Antenna Nut Wrench I saw at Home Depot is only available online. It comes in 6mm, 7mm, 10mm and 21mm sizes. Do you have any idea what size is needed for the antenna nut on the Commander?? If I have to order it and wait for it to be delivered, I dont want to guess what size I'd need!! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I see there are tons of them on Amazon, a small strap wrench might work and is cheap and probable at the big box stores. Search Amazon for the Chrysler number C-4816. Some say they fit chrysler products. They also sell a wrench that fits multiple sizes, some are 3 point, or 4 point and some 2 point. I would use possible a pair of long nose pliers standing upright into the nut.
I just tried mine - no luck that thing is tight. Try to order it from Jeep?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I've tried Home Depot and 2 local auto parts stores. Also looked a bunch online today. No luck.

I did try holding the bottom with vice grips and turning the top with channel locks. Again no luck. It sure is on there tight!!

I'm gonna try to run up to our Jeep dealership tomorrow. If nothing else maybe they can tell me the exact size so I can order it on my own.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
At Jeep see if they can just break it loose for you. Or try a car audio place.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The car audio place up the street was closed. At the dealership, they had the nut, but the service guy had no idea what "size" it was or what size nut wrench would work on it. I asked if someone from service could come out at look at it for me, he said they wont do that. I also stopped in and checked at Harbor Freight and they had never seen an antenna nut wrench.

So I'm back searching online for them. I'm feeling that I'm going to end up spending $40 for a set of the sockets instead of getting just the one I need!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I was searching online yesterday I noticed that a lot of these Antenna Nut Sockets were the Lisle brand. So I went directly to the Lisle website. After a bit of searching they had this PDF that lists which sockets fit which cars. Of course, a Jeep or a Commander wasn't listed. So I emailed them asking the same.

This was their response:
Lisle part # 29810, Antenna Nut Socket #1 will fit your application. The Antenna Nut will have 3 notches.

Thanks for asking,

Randy
Project Engineer

Lisle Corporation
Clarinda, IA

I figured since they helped me out I'd buy the socket from them, but they only sell the full set of 4 sockets. So, back to the Home Depot website and I ordered Socket #1. It'll be delivered to the store Thursday or Friday. I'm getting closer and closer to getting this fixed!! And hopefully this info will help someone else out down the road!!

I'll post back later this week.

·
Super Moderator
15,012 Posts
Thanks for the info, @dar124.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Make sure once you get that thing off. You put dielectric grease on both sets of threads. Yours may be frozen from dissimilar metals. If it is? Plant your new socket square on top, solid.And give it a couple of quick taps with a light weight hammer, on top of the socket.To break out the corrosion. If you just try to unscrew it. You may damage the parts or the paint.
I have removed thousands of those things in my life. I'll show you a picture of how mine looks. I have a complete set of removal tools. But I don't think you will want to purchase that set.
Good luck.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 10+ using speech to text

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Make sure once you get that thing off. You put dielectric grease on both sets of threads. Yours may be frozen from dissimilar metals. If it is? Plant your new socket square on top, solid.And give it a couple of quick taps with a light weight hammer, on top of the socket.To break out the corrosion. If you just try to unscrew it. You may damage the parts or the paint.
I have removed thousands of those things in my life. I'll show you a picture of how mine looks. I have a complete set of removal tools. But I don't think you will want to purchase that set.
Good luck.
Thanks Spraygun. Earlier in this process I did try using a couple pairs of channel locks to get them apart. It didnt work and I didnt want to damage anything, so I continued my search for the socket. Yea, I did pick up some dielectric grease a while back and have been using it on any electrical component that gets replaced on the Commander. A little bit of preventative maintenance. (y) Thanks for the pic, it helps to see it apart to know what the 2 different sides look like when separated.

I was definitely glad to find just the single socket I needed. If I did this all the time on a bunch of different cars, I might get a set. But for now I'm good with just the one that fits the Commander.

Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts