Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a quote from the jeep dealer in town regarding my concern about an exhaust leak. They told me exhaust bolts are broken on both sides. I was told the heads have to be pulled to changed them. 2010 5.7 Hemi Limited. I checked the forum and couldn’t find that anyone else has had their heads pulled to replace the exhaust bolts. 8 hr job, $1850 + shop supplies + tax. Anyone else been told this?

·
Administrator
15,210 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, @RoninSpectre. Dealers are always more expensive than independent shops.

I agree the dealerships are almost always higher priced. I’m trying to find out though if pulling the heads to replace the exhaust manifold bolts is necessary. It appears that a lot of forum members have replaced broken bolts/studs themselves or had it done by someone else. But, I haven’t seen any mention of pulling cylinder heads. I only saw one post on a 5.7 and I’m sure that makes a difference. Just want to know if this method is easier for the mechanic, at my expense, or if it is necessary.

·
Administrator
15,210 Posts
@B12hooligan, I don't recall anyone having to pull the heads to replace the bolts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have heard of people doing it through the wheel wells. Me and my brother will be doing mine in the next couple of weeks if all goes well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree the dealerships are almost always higher priced. I’m trying to find out though if pulling the heads to replace the exhaust manifold bolts is necessary. It appears that a lot of forum members have replaced broken bolts/studs themselves or had it done by someone else. But, I haven’t seen any mention of pulling cylinder heads. I only saw one post on a 5.7 and I’m sure that makes a difference. Just want to know if this method is easier for the mechanic, at my expense, or if it is necessary.
I'm right in the middle of this job. I first did the passenger side exhaust manifold bolts and was able to do it. Then the driver side was leaking. I gave it a try but angles were too impossible for me and I decided to remove the heads. I want to redo the passenger side with heads off. Some bolts went in very tight and now I can chase the threads and do a proper job. So I can tell you in my case the drivers side makes it near impossible, especially to do a good proper job without removing the heads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got a quote from the jeep dealer in town regarding my concern about an exhaust leak. They told me exhaust bolts are broken on both sides. I was told the heads have to be pulled to changed them. 2010 5.7 Hemi Limited. I checked the forum and couldn’t find that anyone else has had their heads pulled to replace the exhaust bolts. 8 hr job, $1850 + shop supplies + tax. Anyone else been told this?
I just got my 2010 commander done at the jeep dealership for 1247 out the door. Dealer said they had to pull the heads as well.

·
Administrator
6,240 Posts
Sounds like you're getting the run around to me. Try a reputable, local shop with good reviews and see what they tell you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts