Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my jeep commander was parked at a hotel in anaheim california facing north.
it was afternoon about 87 degrees farenheit.
the glass shattered. the hotel security camera recorded what happened.
we feel this could be a result of thermal expansion of a restrained glass.
has there been any other similar problems reported?

thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've never heard of anything like this on this forum...I suppose thermal expansion could be the culprit if the glass was improperly installed.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
ernie said:
my jeep commander was parked at a hotel in anaheim california facing north.
it was afternoon about 87 degrees farenheit.
the glass shattered. the hotel security camera recorded what happened.
we feel this could be a result of thermal expansion of a restrained glass.
has there been any other similar problems reported?

thanks
87F outside means it could be 100F plus inside. Always leave the windows cracked a bit or the sunroof vented when parked outside on warmer days.

I haven't heard of this happening on Commanders but I know a friend of mine back in college had the back window self destruct on his Cherokee. It was like a 1995 or 1996 I think, only a year old at the time.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Restrained glass? I'm sure the manufacturer tests for stuff like this before the vehicle is sold/marketed. Maybe you just had some defective glass in the rear? I'm sure plenty of Commander owners have exposed their vehicles to much higher temperatures without any "exploding" glass problems!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Down here in Dubai, the temperature soars all the way to 113F. My commander is exposed to the sun directly everyday for 6 hours. Never seen/heard anything like this happen.

Probably, the vehicles here are Gulf specification. You should take the tape to your dealer as suggested by a previous member.

Sidart

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've heard of things like this happening before, just not with the Commander. I could see the glass shattering in high heat if;

A: it was already compromised by a small crack or chip
B: it was installed improperly so that there was no compliance offered by the seal/gasketing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts