Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just joined the forum as a WK owner. I haven't found many people putting lifts on their WK's on most forums and it looks like many of you have. I decided to join since the two vehicles share the same frame and supension geometry. I've been doing quite a bit of research in regards to budget boost set-ups on the IFS of the WK/XK. I found alot of information on KJ forums since they also share a similar IFS set-up. I see many of you are going with the Rocky Road set-up with all the lift coming from putting a spacer on top of the strut. Not to discourage anyone but my research with the KJ guys is that this type of lift creates ball joint problems over time. The combo lift that Daystar (Skyjacker also) offers where the lift is a combination of a top spacer and a spacer inside the strut seems to eliminate this problem and is a much better option. Is anyone here running the Daystar lift? A couple guys on the WK forum that I visit have actually removed their RR lifts and have replaced with the Daystar. The Daystar lift does stiffen the front springs a bit but many people think the WK is much too soft to begin with. I'm not sure if the XK is the same since I haven't driven one. Well I just thought I'd share some info. that I've found on the current lift options and look forward to learning from what you guys have done here.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My Rocky Road lift (with DT8000 rear shocks) is being installed as we speak. Thanks for the additional information - we are all learning together, and it's all helpful.

·
Registered
107 Posts
05WKLMTD,

I have the RR lift but have heard grumblings about it and have even heard of people switching from the RR to the Daystar. I would like to know how they are different?

It seems that both lifts give a 2.5" increase in height but do not move the height of the Diff down to keep the factory half-shaft angles. If I am off base please correct me. I just really want to know the difference in the two lifts other than the fact that one uses a spacer and one is a combination lift. (I honestly didn't know what a combination lift was until you mentioned it in your post.)

Is there that big of a difference in the two? Any help would be much appreciated since I do not want to damage the CV joints in the front and I am sure the other people on this forum, including me, would benefit from a descriptive explanation of how the lifts differ.

Thanks a bunch for sheeding light on this for us,

Bob Wall

·
Registered
396 Posts
The only thing I heard about the Daystar lift, was that the heavy use of poly on the front and rear would lead to more squeaks. Not sure how accurate that was, but decided to go with the RR. It's in, and I like it so far. I like it a lot. Looking forward to more info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no difference between the two styles of lift in the rear. They both use poly spacers in the rear. I've attached the link to the install instructions so you may see the difference in the front. The instructions are from Skyjacker but Daystar confirmed via e-mail that the two kits are one in the same. I believe Daystar makes it for Skyjacker and the kit sells under both names.

http://www.skyjacker.com/image/search/pdf/XK20.pdf

·
Registered
396 Posts
One of the people I talked to, preferred the metal front spacers used on the RR lift kit, to the Poly front spacers on the Daystar kit, in theory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I e-mailed Daystar asking what benefits their design offers over Rocky Road or Rusty's. Here is their response:

Well the other companies use a spacer on top of the strut and that makes the strut to long. We spent a lot of time working on the spring rates and the angle of axels to get the best lift for the jeep. Here is a copy of the instructions for you to look at. Hop this helps you.

The instructions he sent were identical to the Skyjacker that I've attached here. I think I'll be going the Daystar route unless something new comes out by fall when I'll be looking for new tires. Also you may want to check Jeepsunlimited.com under the WK forum. There is a post from somebody who just installed the Superlift kit and is on his way to Moab. More lift and expense than I'd like but may be informative to others. I all ready have my TJ for my money pit.;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
05WKLMTD said:
Well the other companies use a spacer on top of the strut and that makes the strut to long. We spent a lot of time working on the spring rates and the angle of axels to get the best lift for the jeep. Here is a copy of the instructions for you to look at. Hop this helps you.
That statement does not make sense. Putting the spacer on top of the strut does not change the length of the strut at all.

Maybe they didn't understand the question or maybe I don't understand the answer.:)

05WKLMTD could you post a link to the WK forum thread that talks about the superlift being installed on a commander. I checked and could not find it. Even tried the search option and still no luck. Thanks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm pleased with the ride quality of my rocky road lifted Commander.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.