Jeep Commander Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Thanks OC.

I like the way they look - and they are obviously a much higher quality component then the factory UCA's, but honestly, I can't really say that I FEEL the difference.

I just wanted to have them installed to help compensate for the extra wait of the new front bumper.

I like your new bumper - who made it?
Thanks! It's made by a local fabricator out here named Marcos; he owns a business called Steel Alliance Fabrications.

He will be the one building my rock sliders over the next week, and then eventually a rear tire carrier.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Thanks! It's made by a local fabricator out here named Marcos; he owns a business called Steel Alliance Fabrications.

He will be the one building my rock sliders over the next week, and then eventually a rear tire carrier.
Very good, looks like Marcos did a great job on that.

I'm ordering a set 4xGuard Rock Sliders here in the next couple of weeks to have them put on when I get back state-side in October or November;

Jeep Commander XK rock rails

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Quick Update

Hey everyone! The bus is doing alright, definitely going to have to go under the knife here in the next few months as my front ring and pinion are definitely on their way out!

I believe it was residual damage from when my upper axle isolator in the front end gave way a while back. The bushing broke under load while I was wheeling and I believe that force is what unseated the pinion gear from it's bearing/brace and has slowly started to prematurely wear my pinion/ring gear down. I am attending Overland Expo East with the company I work with and the GONE Moab event in Utah the immediate week following; my drivetrain will need to be back to 100% functionality by the times these events take place. I will be getting the 4.11 kit from Nitro Gear in about 3 months so that I can have my break-in miles completed before getting out on the highway.

In the mean time, I've definitely enjoyed having the Jeeperf poly bushings in the front end; definitely some noticeably louder NVH coming into the cab but I also think that is related to the gearing issue in the front diff. I've also really enjoyed the JBA UCA's; the front end doesn't feel like the suspension components are constantly under load any more which has made my driving experience off-road that much better.

Unfortunately under the weight of the front bumper, my 4600's in the front are no longer dampening like they should and it has deteriorated the ride quality in the front suspension. As I will only be able to afford to re-gear my Jeep in time for these trips later this year this will unfortunately have to be set to the side and addressed later. I don't really have a plan for what I want to do in terms of replacements but I will figure it out eventually.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Unfortunately under the weight of the front bumper, my 4600's in the front are no longer dampening like they should and it has deteriorated the ride quality in the front suspension. As I will only be able to afford to re-gear my Jeep in time for these trips later this year this will unfortunately have to be set to the side and addressed later. I don't really have a plan for what I want to do in terms of replacements but I will figure it out eventually.
This sounds odd to me since our set-ups are somewhat similar - I have Bilstein HD 4600's up front as well and I'm sure my WAM bumper that I had installed in April 2017 is every bit as heavy as yours - and my 4600's seem to be holding up just fine.

The only additional upgrades I did up front in anticipation of having the bumper installed was replacing the stock UCA's with JBA upper control arms for lifted XK's.

I don't know if that could be the difference - or maybe it's just that you off-road a lot more often than I do, I don't know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
This sounds odd to me since our set-ups are somewhat similar - I have Bilstein HD 4600's up front as well and I'm sure my WAM bumper that I had installed in April 2017 is every bit as heavy as yours - and my 4600's seem to be holding up just fine.

The only additional upgrades I did up front in anticipation of having the bumper installed was replacing the stock UCA's with JBA upper control arms for lifted XK's.

I don't know if that could be the difference - or maybe it's just that you off-road a lot more often than I do, I don't know.
I'm sure that's probably the difference. On top of the terrain near me getting fairly aggressive in some areas, I carry a fair amount of weight on camping trips especially if the rig becomes the pack mule for a group getting off grid for a few days.

I probably won't be able to do anything until the end of the year anyways, so it's a sloppy ride for me until I can afford to replace them. I'd honestly just like to replace my leveling kit with an OME kit.

·
Super Moderator
15,012 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am using AEV Pintler wheels with NO spacer. I can't say that he's not, but you do NOT NEED TO. The backspacing is correct for larger tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That’s what I was wondering. I think both types of wheels should have the same offset since they are both made for JK’s. I wanted to know before I went to the trouble of getting the wheels.
Thanks so much!
John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Hello~ Did you have to use wheel spacers with the AEV Savegre wheels?
Thanks
John
Hey, sorry for the delayed response - I actually don't own my XK anymore. It's a long story but it turned into an absolute nightmare as far as maintenance was concerned!

To answer your question, no - I did not have to use any sort of spacer. The fitment was pretty good although I did still run into some minor rubbing in both the front and rear of the truck under heavier articulation and at full lock. You may have varying results running a different tire though.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts