Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the forum. Are there any bug deflectors on the market that will fit a 2007 Commander that do not require any drilling and also do not use the auto grade tape?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts
Hey all, new to the forum. Are there any bug deflectors on the market that will fit a 2007 Commander that do not require any drilling and also do not use the auto grade tape?

Thanks in advance.
Unless you are buying it just for looks don't bother. It will not keep bugs and rocks off your windshield.

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts

Thanks in advance.
If you do not want to use screws or tape, what do you want to use... imagination? :rofl:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think he wants to use metal clips only... but I personally do not think drilling into the hood is an issue. The XK hood is aluminum, so why not just get the Mopar deflector, pop 4 holes in the bottom, push on 2 corner clips and bolt it on? It is very solid.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Chuck?
Only the upper skin is aluminum.
The framework (bottom/inside) is HSLA steel I believe. (didn't try a magnet yet....feels like steel)

To the OP.....What are you trying to resolve? I'm OK with the, avoid drilling holes idea...just wondering why you are concerned...I.E. rust?

As others have said, bug deflection on this body is sort of just smashing them into the deflecter.
The aeros on these things pretty much is a low pressure area about 6" rear of the hood leading edge for its entire width.
It actually sucks downward.
I have a hood/front end mask made for the Commander (what a cluster *** by the way)
and at speeds above 55 mph it actually lifts the hood section trailing edge a good 1/2" off the hood, no matter how tight I have it.
I suspect this low pressure is why these things seem to suck rocks at the wndshield, as opposed to carrying them up and over like a bow wake of wind.

My observations....nothing scientific,

Rob

·
Registered
362 Posts
Robby:

Yes, the top and bottom skin appear to be aluminum - non-magnetic. Actually, if it was a steel underside with top aluminum skin, galvanic corrosion would be more likely.

I bet the OP is concerned with corrosion from drilling. If so, he should understand I am always very concerned with that since I live in the salt belt. I used the grease Mopar provided to coat the holes and screw threads. I think it is a fairly solid installation.

As for the aerodynamics of the hood deflector, I have not seen the truck in a wind tunnel with or without the deflector, but these trucks are so square I doubt the deflector will (significantly) affect anything, but I dig your theory... it is interesting.

My reason for the deflector was soley to keep paint on the hood (before I knew it was aluminum). Maybe an invisible bra like Xpel may be better?!? That is just die-cut clear plastic tape... the material works great. I have used the same material in a 2" wide roll for "blast zones" with good success on my vehicles for many years.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
After almost three years of battling chips on the leading edge of the hood I think Xpel or any other quality chip guard would be adviseable.
You'll notice the leading edges of the wheel well extensions suffer a lot too.....front and rear, and I don't tailgate.
The rears, front lower sections suffer, I believe, from the front wheel cast off, even with the mudgaurds. I suspect the low pressure area behind the front extensions draws the sand and whatnot back into the body and against the rear extensions.
I did put chipgaurd strips on that area the first year of ownership once I saw some evidence of paint roughness.
I also put a chipgaurd strip on the liftgate where the wiper blade parks....I found the blade was scuffing the finish.
Regarding the dissimilar metal thoughts I had on the hood, I am finding this on the doors of Land Rovers. Steel frame, aluminum skin.....I guess they are using some exotic sealant to keep corrosion at bay.
So, I was wondering out loud if Jeep was using the same process.
If my Commander was here at my home instead of at my hangar, I would have run out there with the refrigerator magnet.

I am toying with the idea of a clear-bra, Expel or 3M, once I refinish the front fascia.
Lots of sand damage......you'd think I live in Arizona or New Mexico to look at it instead of around Chicago.
The hood deflector to save the paint is a good idea....I don't like the trash that finds its way in the gap though.
In retrospect, I'd rather blow out the trash though.
Oh well, a cash injection will make it perfect again.

Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm looking for something that mounts via screws into pre-existing holes on the underside of the hood. I've seen them out there, I'm just not sure if they're available for a Commander.

I understand that the deflectors don't do a great job of keeping the windshield clean, but my intent is more to protect the leading edge of the hood. It is much easier to clean bug carnage off of the windshield than the paint.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm looking for something that mounts via screws into pre-existing holes on the underside of the hood. I've seen them out there, I'm just not sure if they're available for a Commander.

I understand that the deflectors don't do a great job of keeping the windshield clean, but my intent is more to protect the leading edge of the hood. It is much easier to clean bug carnage off of the windshield than the paint.
I understand the resistance to drilling holes, as I am no fan of it either. In fact, I hate it!!! However, I do not think you will have a problem if you drill holes for the Mopar deflector, as long as you use a thick coat of grease on the new holes.

The Mopar design has you grease the holes, then press in plastic inserts. When you screw the deflector fasteners into the plastic inserts they expand and hold the deflector in place. The two corners are held with a metal slip on clip on each end. Mopar provides a clear tape strip so you do not damage the paint (pretty cool). Then to put a screw through the hole in the corner of the deflector and into the clip.

If you do go for the Mopar deflector, you may want to do what I did... I reversed the instructions somewhat and atached the deflector to the hood with just the end clips to center the deflector and mark my drill holes. Then I removed the deflector, drilled and installed everything. It is perfect.

Oh, here is a link to Mopar's "Destruction Sheet" http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82209649.pdf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts