Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all if my english is not so clear , i,m from Belgium and dutch speaking :)
I wanna change the small bulb (9006) in my right front light , but the owners manual gives no info.
I can pull the rubber hood away , but i don,t see any metal ring or so , to move away to be able to reach the small bulb :(

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just pull the plastic panel on top, then reach your hand in. Turn the socket about a half turn and the bulb should come right out. Make sure not to touch the new bulb with your bare hands as the oils from your fingers could cause it to burn out. Use a soft glove or something. If you do touch it, clean it with rubbing alcohol and a cloth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It,s the very small horizontal bulb , not the small vertical one.
Can,t get to it ...don,t see how

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Just pull the plastic panel on top...
Note: The cover to access the lights was discontinued about half-way through the 2006 model year. So Commanders manufactured after that will not have the cover.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
It,s the very small horizontal bulb , not the small vertical one.
Can,t get to it ...don,t see how
Do you mean the turn signal bulb ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, you have 2 vertical bulbs.
And one very small one sitting horizontal.
That very small one works on what we in Belgium call dimlicht , (small lights) or low beam light.
I have to change the smallest of the 3 bulbs in the headlight :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Is this a European thing? Daytime running light?

Ours have:

High Beam
Low Beam
Turn Signal
Fog Light (optional)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don,t know , it,s a european car.
The left handle next to steering wheel , if you turn it one position, it should burn.
So in the case are 3 bulbs.
The big one sitting vertical , a smaller one below.
Both of those having a rubber sealing around them.
And then the very small one on the bottom of the lampunit.
That one you can see also from the side through the mudflap hole.
But it doesn,t open by turning :(

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
The XH versions have a third bulb in the headlight assembly. This is for in town driving. Some of the European countries do not allow low beams in the city, hence this " in town driving lamp". Since the XK's don't have this bulb, someone with an XH is going to have to help you. :eek:rangehat:

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
How about a picture? Did you check the owner's manual? You may have to wait for some other Europeans to log on.
Yes, please post a picture. It may help us to help you.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I "believe" Europe has different headlamp standards than the U.S., so likely, a European version would have an entirely different headlamp assembly than U.S.

BUT, I'm pretty sure that Europe, like the U.S., uses a variety of similar bulbs that mount similarly for all vehicles.

So, in the case of headlamp bulbs, you may get better help from an owner of any other European vehicle, than you would from a U.S. owner of the same vehicle as you.

Have you've tried that? Asked a friend that has changed the bulbs in their vehicle, even if its NOT a Jeep Commander, to help you?

If you've changed bulbs in one U.S. vehicle, you can pretty much figure it out for most of the other U.S. vehicles, BUT NOT overseas where there is different headlamp standards. I'm guessing its the same concept for European vehicles, I could be wrong.

Eitherway, a mechanically inclined person should be able to figure how to change that bulb within a few minutes, you might have better luck just asking a friend, instead of other Commander Owners overseas.

·
2,248 Posts
I bet that when Ahmed logs on later tonight, he will have an answer.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I just noticed this thread ..

Yes the XH (European specs) has a third small bulb for "park light" ,, the US one has the park light on the side orange lights.

If you didn't manage to change it so far ,, you need to access that bulb from the bottom of the headlight and the easiest way is from the wheel well (cover) ,, there is a small flap gate ,, from there you can access the park light bulb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts