Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the Commander bull bars available, I like the price of the Aries on E-Bay. It has to be black- that's a given with my tag name. My question is: Should I buy the black one for $200 shipped or get the Stainless for $230 shipped and seal/paint it (I have a full paint shop and staff @ work). I still have to paint the stainless skid plate on the black one to keep the blacked out look. Any suggestions? Has anyone had rusting issues with a mild steel bull bar like many have with step tubes?

For the $30 difference I'm leaning to the painted stainless, but I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks guys
Ian

stainless link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aries-Stainless-Steel-Bull-Bar-07-08-Jeep-Commander_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem360119721061QQitemZ360119721061QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

black link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ARIES-Black-Bull-Bar-2007-2008-Jeep-Commander_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem360119721058QQitemZ360119721058QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
In my opinion, I don't like the looks of it.

It would appear that it may decrease your approach angle a bit because of the way it is mounted.

Also, the picture of the Commander looks photoshopped. It may be because it is shiny stainless.

I would ask for pictures of how it is mounted to the Commander before makeing any type of purchase.

Again, that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
In many of these installations you also loose your tow hook mounts which in my opinion is not a good option.

Tube is a little large for my taste as well.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Can you paint stainless and make it stick? If so, do it.
But....What about your tow hooks? I did not add factory tow hooks. I drilled another hole and used black hooks from Reese. They are rated for 10,000 lbs.

I agree with the photoshop look, the plate is behind the bar. Bad idea...

If you have a shop, maybe you can make the necessary
adjustments, that would be cool.

Did you open the mounting instructions from the website?

Aries Bull Bar Install

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
:icon_confused:WOW those instructions are quite infromative

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can paint stainless and have it stick, I just have to media blast and seal. I don't think the pic is photoshopped, but I could be wrong. I did open the instructions on the web site and I would lose the factory tow hook mounts, but I don't have factory hooks. I have some super-commercial hooks at work (for buses) that I was going to put front and rear after having some mounts fabbed.

I'm sure any bull bar will decreace approach angle, but I don't think it will be more than a degree or so.

My main reason for wanting a bull bar is to mount a pair of Hella 500FF driving lights that have been sitting in my garage for a while. I could mount them straight to the bumper, but I don't like drilling holes where they can be seen on a nice vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
Here it is mounted on one of our members (Command This) XKs:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Wish you didn't loose the Tow Hooks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Great thread...I have seen the bars around too and was wondering about them. I would only do black myself but there a few problems, losing the hooks and the licence plae. Also sticks out quite a bit from the body.

·
Registered
807 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks pretty good to me, I like the look of your loop brackets. Have you had the chance to use them yet? I can even have the stud plates made up at work and loop brackets cut out of some chopped up framerail u-channel and eliminate the weld. Thank you very much for the pics and ideas Ped! one more question- are the light mounts tabs or just a hole in the top of the bar?

The bull bar is mostly cosmetic, I wouldn't expect it to hold up to a deer hit. Maybe fold some light brush over though. Mostly it's just to look cool and hold my lights.

Michigan doesn't require front plates and I never mounted the holder so I'm good to go with that.

I think painted stainless is how I will roll... when the wife lets me order more stuff!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Looks pretty good to me, I like the look of your loop brackets. Have you had the chance to use them yet? I can even have the stud plates made up at work and loop brackets cut out of some chopped up framerail u-channel and eliminate the weld. Thank you very much for the pics and ideas Ped! one more question- are the light mounts tabs or just a hole in the top of the bar?

The bull bar is mostly cosmetic, I wouldn't expect it to hold up to a deer hit. Maybe fold some light brush over though. Mostly it's just to look cool and hold my lights.

Michigan doesn't require front plates and I never mounted the holder so I'm good to go with that.

I think painted stainless is how I will roll... when the wife lets me order more stuff!
it looks ok....i just bought it for the deer and was sort of disapointed, but have kept in on for now....its acually good when going over rocks and had helped a few times when my front end has dropped down in to a ditch keeping the rest of the bumper from crashing.

there are tabs you can remove for the lights brackets. they are black rubber fillers....you pop them out and put your lights on if you wanted.

I went to the dealer and got the studs for mopar tow hooks and then got my own locking grade 8 nuts and washers. im not sure of the rating of the bolts on the mopar stud. the bolts looks small and lighter then i would like, (but i usually go overboard with heavier duty stuff.).......and the normal tow hooks use 3 attachment points where, i just have the two bolts per loop.
I have used the loops some, but because im not sure of the rating of the mopar studs with out the 3rd bolt point, i havent used any "recovery straps"......have only used the stead pull of a winch during my testing of them once they were done.

I set the brakes and then hooked up a winch to a tree and drug the vehicle up an incline. the seem very solid.

·
Registered
117 Posts
As some of you guys know I live in Boston, and I currently don't have a garage, it's all on street parking. Well I took the XK for a drive to the carwash the other day and before I started washing it I noticed that someone had backed into my car while parking. I didnt see this happen however the cracked the license plate frame (No big deal) but also stripped some paint off of the bumper. Im gonna go to the dealer now to get the paint code and touch it up, however Im looking into this bullbar for some added protection. We're talking about people who are driving either cars they dont care about and play bumper cars when they are parking or people who just plain stink at driving. No dents on the bumper, but I'd like to install the Aries and have it be their car instead of mine. Could you guys give some thoughts to this? I noticed a few people saying it doesn't add much protection however I'm talking about being hit at minimal speeds. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't paint stainless take it to the powdercoaters. I don't like bull and brush guards because I've seen what would have been minor fender benders turn very expensive when the guard gets push back and takes out both headlights and the radiator grill.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts