Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now i am planning on purchasing the black bull bar for my truck. I am curious if soem one can post some pics on like the top and everthing like where they have the spot to mount a light. I am curious b.c i would like to see if maybe i could build some kind of platform to sit a winch on. I would appreciate any input. I jsut really want a winch and i cant afford the 800 for the 4.7l bumper i would love to put it on but money is kind of tight.:(

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Not to burst your bubble, bsnyder, but the bull-bars I've seen do not mount to the XK with enough strength to handle the pull of a winch. 4.7 spent a bunch of time figuring out how to mount his bumper with enough strength to stay attached during a pull. That's why his mounting system is secret :cool:

Most (if not all) grille guards and bull-bars for the XK (including the MOPAR unit) are more cosmetic in nature and are certainly adequate for adding lights, but I'd hesitate to modify one to mount a winch.

But why do you need a winch? I didn't think XK's got stuck!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thank you but i guess i will just have to keep thinking of ideas. i am taking my front bumper off sometime soon to see if i can figure out a way and place to mount some sort of winch on a bumper thank you though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ditto.

I get angry when people sit/lean against mine. There's no way I'd even let someone pull me out of an emergency situation with it, let alone winch myself out of a mud hole.

The holes are similar to the holes you screw your license plate into (they have the same cap, so not much bigger), I can get a pic if you are interested.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
This is the instruction guide to install the Commander Bull Bar/Grille Guard:
Bull/Grill Guard

There is a good 2" of plastic and crash cones behind the facia before the bumper.

And this is for the Grill Guard Off Road Lamps:

Grill Guard Lamps

But don't mount the switch where they recommend, I bumped it all the time.

·
2,248 Posts
There is another alternative if you want a winch for the utility of being able to pull yourself or someone else out if you get stuck.

Some people with other vehicles have mounted a winch on a platform base that inserts into your rear towing receiver along with electrical cables that plug into heavy duty electrical connectors giving you winching capabilities from the rear. When not in use you carry it inside, (for instance in the locking box where the third seat goes.)

These are available thru most of the winch sites.

I am not bringing this up to discourage you from getting 4.7's bumpers because I am getting one myself. I am just pointing out an option.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
alright so another idea i was coming up with was where the front tow hooks mount. It is apparently strong enough to pull the veh out of any situation it is tested and everything. I was curious if there would be a way to build a bracket that would mount on each tow hook mounting area and mount a winch on that? would taht be possible? just curious..

if any one would be able to take pics of where they mount like a few different angles i wouild appreciate it thank you like where they mount on each side and everything.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Here is another option...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
taht is what i want the exact same thing. Do they make them or what? where did you find this?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Im trying to see if it is for sale, but no luck yet, it may not, but at least it gives you a starting point if you want to build your own...

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya i would like to buy it but i can figure out how it mount from this. and i will lookinto building it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Let me know if I can help you with it... Oh, did you ever get the package?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
k i will let you know.lol now for the package funnnny story i txt it to you when it happened. So i went down my shore house for the weekend my sister got the package in the mail and didnt know who it was for or anything so my dad told her to open it she thought it was a bomb or soemone was recording her voice. She freaked out and threw it in the shed.lol HAHAHAHAHAHA she called my mom crying and all it was hilarious my mom was like someone sent a old beat up 2way radio to the house and chelsea is all upset about it. lol hahahah i keep to my self for about 4 hours and then couldnt hold it in anylonger and let them know it was mine.lol HAHAHAHAH

·
Registered
564 Posts
That is some funny $h1t... I Could not remember your name, so I just sent it like that, but I'm glad you got it, I was getting worry about it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol are you going to go with us august 2nd for the trip the club ppl are meeting up

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
This winch mount was a prototype fabrication by ORU custom ordered by Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-Road magazine for their 07' Ultimate Adventure. Petersen Mag modified two XKs to be used to hall people and gear on their trip. The green XK has the 4" SuperLift kit with MT Classic II 17x9 wheels and 33" BFG Mud KM2 tires and Defender roof rack. This was all done back in November 07'.

Looks very familiar for some reason. :D

I contacted Petersen's and confirmed that the winch bracket was indeed fabricated by ORU. In March 08', I spoke with ORU about it and there were no plans to mass produce this. This past month, I was contacted by Mike Parks, Vp of Marketing at ORU about using pics of my XK with the Defender Roof Rack in some upcoming parts catalogue. I took the opportunity to ask him about the details of that winch mount in the hopes of getting additional pics or any specs. He confirmed there is no intent to mass produce this bracket. It was a custom order. He also informed me the lead fabricator that built and installed this on the green XK is no longer with ORU so no additional info is available on it.

I had hoped to get some specs for 4.7 to build but what you see in those pics is about all there is for documentation.

I suppose you could custom order this from ORU but it will probably cost a few bucks $$$$.

ROMEO said:
Here is another option...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That mount looks pretty good.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
bsnyder -
The tow hook mounting location for some type of a winch mount is an interesting idea. I think you would have to suppliment with additional mounting locations to spread the load, but with some research and a little cleverness, probably could be done. At least to the extent that an 8 or 9K winch could reasonably live there for the life of the Jeep. Unibody construction just does not lend itself well to additional drilling, welding, etc. that a body-on-frame platform does. I've seen pictures of a bumper/tire rack that came off the back of a Grand Cherokee ZJ when someone hooked to the D-rings to pull him out of a mud hole. The mounting bolts were grade 8 and did not break. They simply ripped a path through the sheet metal until the bumper was on the ground several feet behind the stuck jeep. How does one fix that?? Welding to a unibody, if not done properly will cause brittleness around the weld, often leading to cracks in the future. I've heard horror stories of guys welding brackets on to the "frame" rails of the Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees for their long-arm lift kits. After some time, the brackets just rip off the unibody, leaving the Jeep structurally damaged. Again, how do you fix that without more welding? So anything bolted or welded to the front of the XK for the purpose of a winch has to be well thought out or you'll have a stuck XK with it's winch bumper sitting on the ground 4 feet ahead of it. Jeep built this rig for the 99.99 percent of the people who will never fit a winch, so be prepared to be clever. 4.7 found a way, now you can find yours!

·
2,248 Posts
If it helps any. The Blue Ox baseplate on the front of my Commander connects to the frame on both sides and is rated for 10,000 pounds using the towbar. To me that says that there is a way to get at least that kind of rating using the frame.

BTW, I am in Denver, flew in a couple of hours ago, got a Commander from National rental. Maybe I will turn it in muddy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts