Jeep Commander Forum banner

Bum deal by murpheymichael

7K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  jeep5253 
#1 ·
Murpheymichael put up for sale four 1.5" spacers for $100 plus shipping of $11. Seemed like a good deal, so on 3/10 I sent him $111.00 to his PayPal account. He was prompt with shipping BUT he failed to properly package the parcel, consequently the flimsy box burst open in transit and the lug nuts, which where part of the deal, fell out. I sent him a PM on 3/19 making him aware of the situation and asking him to work with me to resolve the issue. He PMd back saying that he had included 24 nuts, not just 20, but nothing about a remedy. I wrote back offering a compromise , but heard nothing. I waited 24 hours for his answer, checked to make sure he had visited the forum after I sent the PM and then sent another PM. Again, I check to see if he had visited the forum after I sent the second message and he had. Other than his initial response, I've heard nothing and it's quite evident I won't.

Transactions on this forum are principally based on trust and respect for fellow forum members. Murpheymike is ignoring me and hoping that this will just go away. I'm filing a complaint with PayPal hoping that he'll respond to me through PayPal mediation. In the meantime, beware of this guy and keep his sketchy attitude and lack of respect in mind should he ever offer anything else to us for sale.

#2 ·
Thanks for letting us know.

#3 ·
Just read a PM from murpheymichael. Again, offered nothing but a brush-off. If he won't honor his contract with me, I'll pursue my claim through PayPal and hope we can reach a settlement.

#5 ·
That's not the point. The guy poorly packaged the items and JeepJorge did not receive what he paid for. And is further inconvenienced by having to go out and buy the lug nuts.

#6 ·
JeepJorge, can you file a claim with the carrier ?

#8 ·
I wish. It's the vaunted USPS which murpheymike used to ship the box.

#12 ·
I was just saying that aren't the typical lugs that hold the wheels on our XKs. They are open ended. That's all

#15 ·
Still no further word from murpheymike, so I filed a claim with PayPal. That is how PayPal deals with disputes when mediation doesn't work. At some point, PayPal will request supporting info from both parties and then render a desition which is final. I don't know how they compel someone to abide, perhaps by closing their account. I'm saddened that a simple transaction escalated to this, but there is no way I'm letting someone promise to deliver something I've paid asking price for and then tell me to get stuffed when i don't receive it.
I'm not sure if it's allowed by the forum guidelines, but if the ruling favors me and murpheymike still won't make good, I'll request the moderator ban him from the forum. We don't need people abusing or defrauding us.

#16 ·
I agree. Having integrity all you hope for when doing these types of transactions. He should pay.

#17 · (Edited)
PM I received in reply from murphymichael

Today, 11:03 PM
murpheymichael

Re: JeepJorge
while I appreciate your concern for my reputation on this forum, I question why you believe that a cardboard box is not a proper shipping container for a package weighing only 17 pounds. Carelessness and disregard for customer service by the postal service is something that I can not control, nor do I take responsibility for. I am not running a business and stood to make ZERO dollars profit from the sale of my spacers, but stood to recoup roughly half of my original cost. George had the opportunity to inspect the damaged package and reject it if he so desired, but he accepted it against the advice of postal employee. My original thought was to minimize my loss on the spacers by selling them to someone who might actually need them and at half the price they would otherwise pay ordering them as I did. Next time, after this headache, I will let my spare parts collect dust rather than deal with this BS. As for doing the RIGHT thing, that will be for Paypal resolution center to decide, not you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253
Why don't you do the right thing and send him the lug nuts or the money to buy them ? It is your fault because of the poor packaging. That would keep your reputation on the forum intact.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29506

#18 ·
Thanks for sending the PM to murpheymike. I appreciate your efforts to help both of us sort this out. I share his frustration over being caught up in this drama. Who needs it? This issue isn't predicated on the amount of profit, or lack thereof murpheymike stands to make. He chose the asking price. As far as the suitability of a cardboard box as a shipping container goes, it is plainly evident that yes, they are suitable. However, the box he chose to use is made of thin cardboard and not adequate to contain the heavy spacers and twenty-four lug nuts. It really isn't a big surprise that the thin box was unable to withstand the normal shipping stresses. I am certainly not unreasonable. Had the box been evidently capable of holding the stuff but was burst open by careless or negligent handling, I would have refused the shipment or made a claim against the shipper.

However, what gets me upset is his flat-out refusal to try to reach any accommodation. On three separate occasions I tried to get him to make any offer he felt was adequate to resolve the issue. The only substantive response I got was him telling me to feel lucky over getting a good deal and go pound sand over the missing stuff; that is simply not acceptable. However the PayPal decision comes down, I don't regret pressing for redress. Like I said, if it goes my way and murpheymike refuses to abide by the decision, I'll request he be banned from the forum.

#19 ·
I just posted three photos of the box murpheymike used to ship my spacers and lug nuts in my photo album. Have a look and decide whether the box looks sturdy enough to hold the heavy spacers and nuts.

#20 ·
PayPal has asked mupheymike for his side of the story and now I've had my say. I sent them links to the original sales pitch, the PM thread he and I exchanged and the photos of the crappy shipping box. We'll see what they decide and I'll let you all know as soon as they come down with a decision.
Cheers. Jorge

#21 ·
Finally, this sad drama is done. PayPal agreed with my claim. Here is part of their message to me:

"Hello Jorge,

After carefully reviewing your case, we've determined that you'll be
eligible for a refund (including handling and shipping) once you've
returned the merchandise to the seller.
Once you have returned the merchandise, you will be covered under PayPal
Buyer Protection and eligible to receive a full refund."

What a PITA this has been, but I'm glad it's over. murpheymike will be getting his stuff back and I'll get my money back.

#22 ·
Good for you !

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.