Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the oil 3500 (synthetic) miles ago and I already had to add one quart of oil to the engine. This isn't the first time this has happened so I am looking for some answers or if anyone else has had this issue. THere isn't any clouds on start up, noticible leaks or odors.If anyone has any ideas please let me know. THanks in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2010 sport 3.7, my oil was changed about 3500 miles ago also. I was driving on vacation last week, checked the oil at my destination and it was a quart low. I have not checked it since I have been back. Looking forard to seeing some replies to this.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
It is normal for vehicles with higher mileage to be about a quart low when it comes time for the oil to be changed. How many miles do you have on your Commander?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Did you check your oil when you had it changed last? I know my 4.7 takes an extra quart.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree with BADOS. My 4.7 is like that also. Need to add a extra qt.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I just changed the oil 3500 (synthetic) miles ago and I already had to add one quart of oil to the engine. This isn't the first time this has happened so I am looking for some answers or if anyone else has had this issue. THere isn't any clouds on start up, noticible leaks or odors.If anyone has any ideas please let me know. THanks in advance.
Did you start the engine right after you changed it and then check the oil again ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
61000 miles. I always check it and am good with being up to date with the maintenance on my xk. It just doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
36 Posts
All the newer Chrysler engines seem to have pcv systems that are horrible. I am betting your intake is oil coated and you are sucking oil in the pcv. I would replace the pcv and consider a catch can. Catch cans are very common with hemi's across the board.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2009 HEMI and it uses up about a quart every 3500 miles. Has 49k miles on it and have always used Mobile1 synthetic with regular oil changes. I don't drive the vehicle hard either. No blue smoke or leaks.

Tomorrow I'm going to change my oil with Redline 5W20 and see if that holds up better.

If that doesn't work I might go the catch-can route like duneslider mentioned.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
My last 12 veichles have never needed oil added between oil changes. Usually change every 4K to 5K. My Hemi now is at 54K miles and doing fine on oil. Using Quaker State for this and all past vechiles. 5-20 in Hemi. Be sure to check after engine off for at least 30 minutes - I do it in the morning before starting and on level ground.
From the owners manual
Checking Oil Level
To assure proper engine lubrication, the engine oil must
be maintained at the correct level. Check the oil level at
regular intervals, such as every fuel stop.
The best time to check the engine oil level is about 5
minutes after a fully warmed engine is shut off or before
starting the engine after it has sat overnight.
Checking the oil while the vehicle is on level ground will
improve the accuracy of the oil level readings. Maintain
the oil level in the SAFE level range. Adding 1 U.S. Quart
(0.95L) of oil when the level is at the bottom of the SAFE
range will result in the level being at the top of the SAFE
range.

·
Registered
707 Posts
2006 Commander with 85K miles on the 3.7L V6 and so far, no noticeable oil consumption between my 5K interval oil changes.

If you are really concerned with your oil consumption, you can always do an oil analysis test.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSEUQ0/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=[/ame]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Actually, before I changed my oil the other day the dipstick still read at the full mark. I did check the oil level after it sat for a few hours this time.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Also, since i changed the oil I have added 2 quarts of oil to the commander.
I'd be a little worried with having to add two quarts of oil since your last change. Id recommed swapping out the PCV valve.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have 89 k on my 4.7 and mine doesn't us any oil. Mine leaks oil from the rear main seal :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is also a known issue with the 4.7, my dads works for chrysler for years and some 4.7s have oil consumption issues. Id check PCV like stated and go from there..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am just about due for another oil change so I will replace the PCV valve this weekend with a oil change and let everyone know in a couple,000 miles what the outcome is. At least I am not the only one with this problem. Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Oil Consumption

I am just about due for another oil change so I will replace the PCV valve this weekend with a oil change and let everyone know in a couple,000 miles what the outcome is. At least I am not the only one with this problem. Thanks everyone.
How is the Oil Consumption going ? What size engine do you have ?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
How is the Oil Consumption going ? What size engine do you have ?
The post you quoted is almost 5 years old, so, I kind of doubt you will get an answer - he has this right in his signature though;
2007 Commander Limited QDII 4x4 5.7 HEMI

1 - 20 of 20 Posts