Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just brought in my car to have it checked out for other non-related issues, and spoke to the service writer about noticing a burnt oil type of smell. He said that it is normal to smell something like that during the break-in period.

My JC V8 Hemi has only 167 miles and I was wondering if any of you smelled the same thing and have the smell go away after the break-in period. I know that there are some posts already with a burn type smell, but none of the posts relate to me because it doesn't have any noticable fluids dripping from the vehicle.

I'm just a little worried because I don't know if that is normal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You won't see any small fluid leaks because of that big plastic piece they put under the engine compartment. If you're concerned about fluid leaks, get yourself a 1/2" wrench, get under the Jeep and unscrew the 4 bolts holding on the large plastic sheet. You can then look at the sheet to see if any fluids have collected or are burnt on.

Personally, I never had a burnt oil smell but I've got the 4.7L.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have about 16K miles on my XK Hemi 4x4 Limited - no burnt oil smell either. Although there is some odor that tends to come from the foam insulation in the wheel wells near the front doors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If, for some odd reason, I feel compelled to push the 4.7 8 cylinders of pure love to the absolute limit when the light turns green, I do get an "odor," but never at any other times have I had this occur.

Go Commander GO! Love this Jeep. Love it, love it, love it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
that's normal. i've been in the car business for 11 years, and i remember that smell from the wj's. i didin;t notice it on on ours, but then, it was dealer traded from 100 miles away. what it is, i think, is the residue and oil on the outside of parts that are getting hot for the first time. paint heating up, i think mainly the exhaust manifold. it should go away shortly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.