Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Question, 06 commander 4.7 4x4, ordering some front sway bar bushings.

There are 2 choices with or without centerbead? BTW, what's a center bead? :)

thanks, Nick

·
Registered
809 Posts
Pop your head under the Jeep and look at the bushing retainer brackets. Without the "bead" will have a smooth semi-cylindrical surface, whereas with the "bead" will have a ridge in the middle, like the cylinder swallowed a doughnut.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, why are there 2 choices? Was there a change in design somewhere along the way? Is one better than the other? Just curious.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I replaced mine last week, had the center bead. Not sure if one is better than the other but at least my front end is quiet. I'm sure Jeep5253 will chime in

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bushings

I have what seems to be a bounce or hop side to side when i go over bumps between 30-40mph. I feel the truck kind of loses its footing for a millisecond and the vibration seems to be in the floor board under my feet, I thought switching out the bushings on the front sway bar would help and it seems to be a DIY.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Definitely DIY, wouldn't take more than 5 minutes to swap out. What about disconnecting the sway bar links to see if that eliminates the vibration? Vibration gone- has to be either the main bushings or links. If not it could be in the control arms or strut assemblies.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get this - my tires were low, filled them all to 38 and the problem went away. Go figure, a little air goes a long way. Still be fun to change out the bushings though, just because I CAN!

·
Registered
288 Posts
FYI, I went to order some new swaybar bushings. I have they style w/out center bead. Found out they don't even stock this kind any more. You can only purchase w/ center bead, then on top of that you have to buy new brackets for it. Anyone else run accros this???

·
Registered
809 Posts
Can't remember if it was (online) at Advanced or Auto Zone that I recently saw sway bar bushing kits by bar diameter, with mounting brackets. I wasn't really shopping for them, so I didn't look any closer than the icon photo, but I wonder if they would be an decent substitute to OEM.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I tried auto zone, they didn't sell the swaybar bushings, just the endlinks. I contacted moparparts america and my local dealer, both said the same thing about only being able to get the newer style bushings and have to replace the brackets.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thats good to know. I'll be replacing a lot of parts on the XK in the next couple months when I install new struts and Jeepin by Al UCA's.

·
Registered
809 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
thanks, why are there 2 choices? Was there a change in design somewhere along the way? Is one better than the other? Just curious.
Might have been a design change, it may have been as simple as the original supplier ran out and they had to go with another supplier at the factory.

You don't stop the assembly line because you can't get enough sway bar bushings, if you have to use 2 different types, although NOT preferable for servicing, it certainly beats stopping the assembly line and losing tons of money.

On most vehicles, this would be a no brainer, sway bar bushing are never serviced, they last the life of the vehicle. BUT unfortanetely if your off roading your jeep, your putting mega-stress on the sway bar and its bushings and links. Plus tall vehicles with higher center of gravity stress the sway bars a bushings a lot in normal street driving. My Mini-Van, as well as many others, its common, developed a clunk going over bumps with one wheel or swaying the car, a new set of sway bar bushings and the clunk went away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts