Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok this was mentioned in the Fender Flare Thread and we thought we'd start a new thread on this topic. If we could get enough people interested in some large "Cut Out" fenders flares from Bushwacker, maybe we could get them to make some for our vehicles. Then again, maybe not, but we won't know until we try, and having a list of interested people and going to them is better than just asking if they have any plans to make some for the Commander. So with that said......... Who's In.

Count me in! (as of 7-28 1:39pm CST)

1) Firedude
2) 07JeppXK
3) down2far
4) CommanderChaos
5) yanser
6) IowaCommander
7) GetNby
8) Westy

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Im in!!!

We just need to make sure we emphasize "Cut Out" fender flares and not Extend-A-Fenders.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm in. My current flares do not go out far enough to cover the wheels.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
firedude,

You should keep a list of all people interested on your first post of this thread. That way it would be easier to keep track once this thread gets longer.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
firedude,

You should keep a list of all people interested on your first post of this thread. That way it would be easier to keep track once this thread gets longer.
Roger, Roger, give me a Vector, Victor!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I am not really interested in the flare idea but I do have a suggestion. Bushwacker makes a set of flares for the 97-01 XJ. They look similar to the setup on the XK and since cutting would be required either way maybe the XJ flares will work on the XK. If someone interested knows someone who has a XJ maybe it would be a good idea to take some measurements and see how close they are.

http://www.bushwacker.com/fender.asp?dhtmlgoodies_TruckSUV=5&dhtmlgoodies_model=351&search=Search

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I am not really interested in the flare idea but I do have a suggestion. Bushwacker makes a set of flares for the 97-01 XJ. They look similar to the setup on the XK and since cutting would be required either way maybe the XJ flares will work on the XK. If someone interested knows someone who has a XJ maybe it would be a good idea to take some measurements and see how close they are.
Im not sure how those would work with our front bumpers. The flares dont come down far enough. Now if wee all had Get Lost 4x4 bumpers then it would be a different story. I guess we can just try to see if bushwacker can make some for us and if not use the XJ flares as a last resort. Im sure they would need extensive modding to make them fit our XK's.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Im not sure how those would work with our front bumpers. The flares dont come down far enough. Now if wee all had Get Lost 4x4 bumpers then it would be a different story. I guess we can just try to see if bushwacker can make some for us and if not use the XJ flares as a last resort. Im sure they would need extensive modding to make them fit our XK's.
That is a good point about the front bumper but if you are going to be cutting for the fender flares you will most likely be cutting that area of sheet metal out anyway. If you read the instructions the bushwacker cutout flares do require a fair amount of cutting.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think this thread was a who's in.... maybe the last two posts could be moved to my original "fender flare options" post. I would like to continue to hear input on potential options.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
That is a good point about the front bumper but if you are going to be cutting for the fender flares you will most likely be cutting that area of sheet metal out anyway. If you read the instructions the bushwacker cutout flares do require a fair amount of cutting.
If you take a look at the "Cut Out" flares on the AEV Iceland commander, the flares attach to the front bumper just like our stock flares do.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Maybe someone should contact AEV. The hardest and most expensive part of getting flares made up is making the molds. If they exist somewhere then it may be easier to go that route.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Maybe someone should contact AEV. The hardest and most expensive part of getting flares made up is making the molds. If they exist somewhere then it may be easier to go that route.
I think someone has called AEV before in reference to the fender flares. Ill call them today and get some more info. The only problem I see with the AEV flares is that their rear flares are made to accomodate extending the rear axle back 5 inches. We would have to shorten that part of the flare. The rears are two pieces due to our XK's being a 4 door so I couldnt imagine it being all that hard.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I think someone has called AEV before in reference to the fender flares. Ill call them today and get some more info. The only problem I see with the AEV flares is that their rear flares are made to accomodate extending the rear axle back 5 inches. We would have to shorten that part of the flare. The rears are two pieces due to our XK's being a 4 door so I couldnt imagine it being all that hard.
I agree it should be pretty easy to mod considering the point of the break for the rear flare. It may even turn out that bushwacker has made the flares for the AEV commander.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I agree it should be pretty easy to mod considering the point of the break for the rear flare. It may even turn out that bushwacker has made the flares for the AEV commander.
I emailed AEV to try to get as much info as I could out of them and all they said was that their flares were a "one-off" custom made set for the vehicle that have not been reproduced since.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well I gues you could consider me in as well...

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Anyone else interested. I highly doubt that Bushwacker is going to spend the money to design us flares if only 7 people are interested.

....and everyone wonders why there is no aftermarket parts out of the XK?:ugh2:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts