Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am a new member and new owner of a commander. I could not pass up the great deal on a new 2008 commander 3.7L with Quadra trac 1. While I am not a hard core off roader I do hunt and fish and need a capable vehicle. I am finding out that the QT1 4wd system is about the same as Suburu or awd mini-van. I am just curious on how to improve its off road capabilities. I had 2001 JGC with select trac and loved it.

Is it possible to put a locker in the rear-end and would it work with the QT1 transfer case. If so how much would it cost and what manufacturer would you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Don't worry the Quadratrac I is a good system. With the right tires and lift you can do just about anything the other systems can do. Try it out for a while before you get too upset.

ARB has not listed a locker for it yet but they do have it as TBA. Hopefully that means it will get done someday. The best way to push them would be to call or e-mail and ask.

In the hopes of getting a 4WD low for the QT1 I have been following two paths. I have been in contact with Advance Adapters. One of their people there has been working with me on determining a configuration that would replace the NV140(QT1) with a 2 speed Atlas transfer case. You wouldn't have AWD anymore you would have 2WD(Rear) High, 2WD (Rear) Low, 2WD (Front) Low, 4WD High and 4WD Low with a Low ratio as low as 6:1. He's trying to figure out the configuration that will work. I'm guessing it would be around $2500 without installation but don't quote me on that. Contact Advance Adapters and ask but don't mention that you heard about it here. We want them to think there is as much demand as possible.

The other option is also through Advance Adapters. It is called the Rubicrawler. It is designed for Wranglers and sits between the Transmission and the Transfer case in place of the stock adapter. It provides either the 1:1 ratio or a 2.72:1 ratio on top of the existing. This currently DOES NOT work with our NAG1 Transmission or the NV140 transfer case. I believe that the only reason that it doesn't work is because of the bolt patters between the two items. It seems like a small change. The Wrangler Rubicrawler is still in testing but should be out this summer. Call them or e-mail them and ask that it be modified for the Commander QT1. Put as much pressure on them as you can. Let them know that there is a demand out there.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
X2 on the lift and tires.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I would at least go with new tires. I got axle deep in mud with my 3.7 and got out but it was a bit of a scare with the Forteras. As soon as I wore those out I put on Firestone Destination A/T's. They suit my occational off road path/trail just fine and I did not have to drop a huge amount of cash.

·
Registered
346 Posts
x3 on the tires and lift - have an '06 3.7 with QT1 and have loved where it has taken us - not an extreme vehicle, but a lot of fun and very capable. Amazing the difference tires alone will make.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the insightful information. Overall, I am very pleased with the Commander. Ironically, my wife came up with a great idea at least for me. She said she would buy or make me a fake 4Lo lever or button. So that would at least alleviate my need to engage something before I go off road. Saves me big bucks too!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If you REALLY want a Locker out of a QDII could be swaped in ... going to be pricey though! :)

Unless you do a lot of mug boggin' you shoud be fine with thr stock set up the breaks will pulse to operate like a locker .. check out some videos on you tube or achives here for examples

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was also very leary of the Quadra Trac. I put a lift and some Buckshot Mudders on it as soon as I bought it. And I took it to Kansas Turkey Hunting this spring and I got to test it in some of the worst Gumbo mud I have ever seen. It walked right past a stuck Suburban, Pathfinder, and a Chevy truck. (all of the 4x4's) All of which were stuck and the drivers had walked out. I just drove right past them and was amazed at the QT system. I worry no more. I know a lot of guys on here dont like Buckshots, but for the mud, you cant beat them.

Dont worry about your 4x4 system. Just put some good mud tires on there and it will take you anywhere you want to go. But plan on bad MPG. I got 17 mpg on my first tank, buit after the Buckshots 14 is the best I get. I only get 12 in town. But man that thing will eat mud for dinner and ask for seconds!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Buyer's remorse??? Maybe a little after reading all the threads. Did I purchase a money pit? Why does it seem there are an extraordinary number of problems and issues with these vehicles? Are people just unlucky? Are they abusing their vehicles? I have had mine for 2 weeks--'06 3.7 It had 42,400 miles on it when I bought it. Only thing so far is the left front directional is not working. Hopefully just a bulb or fuse, but is this just the beginning? I love the thing otherwise--rides great despite the V6. Fine for what I will be doing with it. I'm getting real nervous about these problems people say they are having. I guess only time will tell...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Buyer's remorse??? Maybe a little after reading all the threads. Did I purchase a money pit? Why does it seem there are an extraordinary number of problems and issues with these vehicles? Are people just unlucky? Are they abusing their vehicles? I have had mine for 2 weeks--'06 3.7 It had 42,400 miles on it when I bought it. Only thing so far is the left front directional is not working. Hopefully just a bulb or fuse, but is this just the beginning? I love the thing otherwise--rides great despite the V6. Fine for what I will be doing with it. I'm getting real nervous about these problems people say they are having. I guess only time will tell...
Jeep equals Just Empty Every Pocket in regards to modifying your Jeep for better off road performance, not necessarily to repair a defective product. GO ECU originally questioned the abilities of his 4wd system not something broken.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
If you truly read the threads on this forum you know that most problems were fixed under warranty and did not cost the owner anything. Many repairs were due to our modifications as well, the Commander is no more trouble prone than any other SUV, truck or automobile sold today.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
The reason you see so many with problems here on the forum is because people come here to seek answers. Like 49er said the Commander has no more problems than any other vehicle.

·
Registered
862 Posts
''Jeep equals Just Empty Every Pocket in regards to modifying your Jeep for better off road performance...''

I LOVE that one!! Thanks, udoxx!! Friends always joked that my high hood race Jeep needed a slot on the side that said ''INSERT PAYCHECK HERE''

The add-on box won't work because the QT I is full time 4x4. You can't have the front end running at 1:1 and the rear end running at 2.72:1. Running gear wind-up problems would be EXTREME. :D You'd need a diff disconnect in the X-fer case, and if it's getting that deep, you might as well swap the whole thing out anyway.

The low range is what you need for controlled Moab rock crawling up 35 degree slopes. For hunting and fishing, the QT I should be find and dandy.

Just like in the San Juans for the Silverton XK rally... the only problem we had was one rig that had a transmission overheat after something like a solid hour of climbing a 20+ degree steep road up Imogene Pass. It's a QT I, and overheated from going slow for a long time in 1st gear under high loading. Everyone else with QT II or QD II faired better because of having 2.6:1 low range to reduce the torque converter loading. And, the problem wasn't more than just waiting at the top of the pass for his to cool down and continue. (Although he was winched up the last little bit to speed things along)

·
Registered
125 Posts
...Did I purchase a money pit? Why does it seem there are an extraordinary number of problems and issues with these vehicles? Are people just unlucky? Are they abusing their vehicles? I have had mine for 2 weeks--'06 3.7 It had 42,400 miles on it when I bought it. Only thing so far is the left front directional is not working.... I'm getting real nervous about these problems people say they are having. I guess only time will tell...
I've had my Q1 V6 '08 Commander for almost a year (purchase date was in late August '08).

It's had one recall - the key fobs. Seems that the release spring on the '08 fob was weak and the fob came off of the valet key too easily. Fixed under warranty.

No other issues. None. Nada. Zip.

I wouldn't get too worked up with what others are keying into an Internet forum.

Some of the reasons you seem to see a lot of questions and complaints on the forum are that (a) many members modify their rigs and have questions, or break something while doing a modification (b) if something does go wrong it's posted here as an FYI and may garner many responses and (c) people love to complain. Another is - who bothers to post when the thing is running great??? Unless one reaches a milestone like 300,000 miles or some such, there's no news in "everything is fine".

Not to say the early Commanders didn't have issues. I learned long ago not to purchase version 1.0 of anything unless I was prepared to be a beta tester. (I had a lamentable experience with one of the first Chevy Vegas off of the line. Taught me a valuable - albeit expensive - lesson). However most of the issues on your '06 will have been sorted out by now, I should think.

I like my Commander, feel comfortable in taking it anywhere (this week my wife and sister-in-law drove mine from Detroit to Pittsburgh and back; if it weren't a trustworthy vehicle I would've suggested a different ride), I perform as much of my own maintenance on the Jeep as I can and go by the book on fluids and service checks.

If you look at some of the complaints they are about the amount charged by dealers for relatively simple service procedures. The problem there isn't the Jeep, it's the Jeep dealer. (Not that they don't have to make a living too; I'm just not willing to spend that kind of money on a procedure I can do myself on the driveway on a sunny afternoon).

Also - a lot of folks on the forum really do take these things off road; more than I would have anticipated. That creates the need for more frequent maintenance procedures, fluid changes, tire issues, etc. But at that point you're just not paying for the Jeep, you're paying for your hobby, too.

The bottom line - I doubt if you've purchased a money pit, unless you've had the misfortune to buy a Commander that has been abused by previous owners.

Relax and enjoy your Commander. Mine doesn't go off road (intentionally, anyway :) ) but it gets through the winter weather quite well and is an enjoyable ride in the summer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The reason you see so many with problems here on the forum is because people come here to seek answers. Like 49er said the Commander has no more problems than any other vehicle.
That is correct. If you go to any dealership that sells any brand and sit in their service department for one day you would scare yourself into never buying any vehicle. The reason is because you are at a place where people go when they have a problem. The same goes for the forum. The forum is a place for advice and to connect with others who have had similar issues with a common product. I have an "early" 2007 with the 5.7 HEMI and I have had NO problems except a dead battery after the vehicle sat for 2 months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts