Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to buy a jeep commander and I have 3 choices.

A 2006 Jeep commander at 223,000 km. No sunroof. Cloth seats.

A 2008 Jeep commander at 208,000 km. No sunroof. Cloth seats. V6 engine. Gas cap light on. Been in an accident but professionally repaired and safety inspected.

A 2007 Jeep commander at 235,000 km. Sunroofs. Leather seats.

It's my first car and I have no idea what I'm doing but I need a camping vehicle. please help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That is a lot of miles—unless of course youre in KMs? I would find out what they need, and what fits your budget the best. Repairs can be very expensive, even if you do them yourself.

Take the one you like the best to a mechanic, and if all checks out, get yourself a new whip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a lot of miles—unless of course youre in KMs? I would find out what they need, and what fits your budget the best. Repairs can be very expensive, even if you do them yourself.

Take the one you like the best to a mechanic, and if all checks out, get yourself a new whip.
It is in km thanks I fixed that. and I really fell in love with the 2007 one but I've heard about the issues with the sunroof that's why I'm asking for help

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I'm going to buy a jeep commander and I have 3 choices.

A 2006 Jeep commander at 223,000 km. No sunroof. Cloth seats.

A 2008 Jeep commander at 208,000 km. No sunroof. Cloth seats. V6 engine. Gas cap light on. Been in an accident but professionally repaired and safety inspected.

A 2007 Jeep commander at 235,000 km. Sunroofs. Leather seats.

It's my first car and I have no idea what I'm doing but I need a camping vehicle. please help.
Welcome to the forum @INeedACampingJeep;

New member required reading:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/89-new-member-section/63025-required-reading-new-member-introduction-post-other-important-new-member-info.html

To Anybody who is Looking to buy a Commander;

You can check to see if all of the factory re-calls & campaigns have been completed for the Commander you're looking at (or for the Commander you have already bought) by clicking on the hyperlink below & just plugging in the VIN; If you are still looking and have not bought your Commander yet, I highly recommend you do this BEFORE you buy it;

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html

To get the factory build sheet for the Commander you are looking at, or for the Commander you have already bought, click on the link below and navigate to "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

Dodge - Contact Us

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is this; a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern; a campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

Additionally if you buy a Commander, and it didn't come with an owner's manual, you can download and print a factory owner's manual from this website; here is the link - and again, this is from the same website I listed above, I just navigated to the point where you select "year" and "model" of the vehicle you want the owner's manual for:

https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/my-...t-vehicle.html

Additionally, I'd strongly recommend you read this entire thread:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/56546-looking-buy.html

You have everything you need, right here at your fingertips to make an informed decision - make the most of the information I've provided you - READING the information that you've been given here, will answer almost any question that you could come up with.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'd buy the 07 or the 06.

The V6 is low powered for a vehicle of this weight, and you'll get about the same mileage as the V8s. I also wouldn't buy a vehicle that's been in an accident, though I have no real justification for that.

The sunroof problem also usually isn't major and can be easily resolved as soon as you buy the vehicle by simply modifying the sunroof drains. Personally, I like leather seats but that's all up to personal preference. Choosing between the two would probably just come down to cost for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd buy the 07 or the 06.

The V6 is low powered for a vehicle of this weight, and you'll get about the same mileage as the V8s. I also wouldn't buy a vehicle that's been in an accident, though I have no real justification for that.

The sunroof problem also usually isn't major and can be easily resolved as soon as you buy the vehicle by simply modifying the sunroof drains. Personally, I like leather seats but that's all up to personal preference. Choosing between the two would probably just come down to cost for me.
The 06 is $4,700 and the 07 is $5,900 so I don't know.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
The 06 is $4,700 and the 07 is $5,900 so I don't know.
I wouldn't even consider buying a Commander unless it was at least a 2008 model year or newer - and definitely not a 6 cylinder. There is absolutely no benefit to having a 3.7L 6 cylinder engine in a Commander - or in a Grand Cherokee for that matter.

If you do buy a 3.7L 6 cylinder Commander, I think you'll find yourself regretting it in the long run.

That's just my opinion of course - but, having owned and driven a 2008 Grand Cherokee (WK) with the 3.7L V-6 for 3 years, I have a pretty informed opinion on this particular subject.

But hey, if budget or price is a factor and that's all that's in your price range - or all you can find, then go for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I wouldn't even consider buying a Commander unless it was at least a 2008 model year or newer - and definitely not a 6 cylinder. There is absolutely no benefit to having a 3.7L 6 cylinder engine in a Commander - or in a Grand Cherokee for that matter.

If you do buy a 3.7L 6 cylinder Commander, I think you'll find yourself regretting it in the long run.

That's just my opinion of course - but, having owned and driven a 2008 Grand Cherokee (WK) with the 3.7L V-6 for 3 years, I have a pretty informed opinion on this particular subject.

But hey, if budget or price is a factor and that's all that's in your price range - or all you can find, then go for it.
Yeah, I'm a soon to be college student with a $7000 budget and the winter and roads around my area are brutal.

The drive is loaded with memorials from crashes so I'm just looking for something that's large and can handle the harsh winter. Also, those are the only ones I can find where the seller is actually responding to me sadly.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Yeah, I'm a soon to be college student with a $7000 budget and the winter and roads around my area are brutal.

The drive is loaded with memorials from crashes so I'm just looking for something that's large and can handle the harsh winter. Also, those are the only ones I can find where the seller is actually responding to me sadly.
Well, best of luck....let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My 06 xk had about 16K in front end damage in 07, was told by the adjuster that it was not so new at the time it would have been totaled. I have put 150K on it since then with no crash related issues. I guess you would want to know that the frame was straight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with Blue, try to find a 2008 or newer one (has updated interior and technology) and a V8 if you can. It never hurts to wait a little while and find the perfect one, if you have the time. It took me a good 6 months to find mine. Although I don't know how common these are wherever you are located. Anyway, good luck and good choice going with a Commander! You'll love it :grin2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts