Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to the forum and i have a few questions about buying a used jeep commander with a hemi 5.7l . It will be used for a daily driver and a tow vehicle maybe twice a year to tow my car to the drag strip . I just test drove an 06 fully loaded hemi commander with 72k on it and i must say i like it and could definitly see myself driving it everyday , but the price wasnt right at 16,500 ! What do i watch out for when buying a used one ? I could swear i heard a ticking noise while accelerating maybe an exhaust leak at the manifold? If anyone has advice for me it would be greatly appreciated !

·
Registered
88 Posts
The price is a little high to us but not dealers, there are a few guys on the forum that are selling their Jeeps with mods for less. The exhaust leak is a common problem but the HEMI is a very audible motor, at idle you can hear a ticking noise, but its the knock sensor. Other issues are the differential bushings that will give you a noticeable thud when shifting from park, reverse and drive, sunroof drain plugged and not draining properly and other small maintence things. Any time someone asks about a used car I suggest, if possible a PPI, pre-purchace inspection, done at a local dealership. If you go with one off the forums, most of these issues have been addressed, you wont be upset with the Commander w/ the HEMI

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response , my main concern is the upkeep with it, specially at 72k miles . If the dealer is willing to do a 75k mile service on it free of charge ( diff fluid, spark plugs , transmission fluid, transmission filter , ect , ect ) i might scoop it up for the price. Around here in ct that seems to be the going price . I mean this thing is LOADED every option you could of chose is on it . Also i will be extending the warranty bumper to bumper for 3yrs/36k miles . is it unrealistic to expect 200k on the drivetrain if maintained ? I also dont baby my vehicles lol

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
72K doesn't sound bad at all. With the changes you mention, I wouldn't bat an eye at 72K if the engine runs well and the tranny seems to shift well. I can't say if 16.5 is high. I would be surprised if they don't have wiggle room if that is the sticker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im going to look at another commander over the weekend , its also a 2006 with a 5.7 hemi fully loaded, silver, 55k miles for 16,750 , Dealer says its clean and great condition. The one i looked at already was black and had tons of scratches which really bothers me as im a car fanatic and really meticulious with my vehicles

·
Registered
88 Posts
a well maintained car can go well passed 200k, Ive got a 97 Jeep GC Lim V8 with 265k and no rust, no problems all original sheet metal and runs like a champ, drove to fla and back twice. Obviously well maintained, 200k is very reasonable. If you're in CT check for surface rust underneath, door jams, hinges, and below rear glass, many Jeeps if no maintained will develop this quickly, maybe even find out where the Jeep came from, I got mine from Arizona so I didnt have to worry about that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i just drove my new to me 06 hemi commander home today ! Its extremely clean and well maintained ,picked it up for 11600 at a local dealer 81k miles and all sevices were up to date and done at the dealer i bought it from. Too dark for pics right now but tomoro for sure!

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Great looking. Congrats. You did the right thing!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Maintenance on an XK is every 30k miles. 30k, 60k, 90k, etc. ALL FLUIDS are synthetic, even the power steering fluid. I have 67k on mine, and just had complete service. (Yeah, I procrastinated 7,000 miles) The rear axle was "slightly dirty" the rest clean looking, but got dumped anyway. I can see an easy quarter million miles with these rigs.

I recently had a wheel sensor replaced. It was intermittent. My XK is lifted, has oversize M/T tires, and is NOT a "pavement queen." I've done Moab and Silverton stuff as well as endless miles of USFS roads and trails in the Pacific NW.

You made a good choice in vehicles. Wait until you drive in your first snow. The XK will not even notice it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey guys i just want to give an update , i just hit 83k and i love the vehicle . The dealer even fixed the 900$ door handle panel that i broke for nothing a day after i bought it LOL ! Its been great i get about 12mpg in the city but i drive 3 miles to work so its not a big deal . I drove it in the snow for the first time also. Lets just say i left an hour early to go to work and was late because i was having way too much fun . This thing can tackle any snow you throw at it !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts