Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How safe is it to buy a vehicle on ebay? I am skeptical on this purchase. I found this guy who is selling a 01 TJ 4.6L Stroker with 80,000 miles on it and many upgrades. At first I found it on craigslist and I have been e mailing him for a while now with all my questions and get a response back every time. He wants to set it up on eBay and do the transaction there. He wants $2970.00 for it. He is paying for shipping and all that stuff; he is in Regina, Canada. It’s a 31 hour drive from my house. Is this a scam or is e bay that trustworthy with their refunds?? I’m just looking for some input on this since I haven't made a purchase like this on eBay.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
There is a price protection program but you should research it, PayPal is safer for you.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You definitely need to be careful. Does he already have an e-bay account? How is his feedback? Have you talked to him on the phone and gotten his real name and address? Do you know anyone in that area who can inspect the Jeep and talk to the seller?

I bought my Commander on ebay but it was a used car dealer close enough to me that I could drive there and look at it and talk to the dealer.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Look for his feedack on Ebay. Ebay also has some buyer protections in place. Scour those details.

I would NEVER buy an out-of-town car on Craigslist.

Maybe you could have a forum member who lives near Regina go take a look at the actual car and match the VIN.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heven't talked to him on the phone, I have his name and address. Usually when it is to good to be true....it is.. I am still waiting on a response from him with a phone number. I am looking into everything I can to make sure this isn't a scam. I really want this TJ. I just don't get why the price is so low, i looked into KBB and the BB value is almost $10,000

·
2,248 Posts
Patrick,

Send me a PM with a contact number. I have a TJ sitting in a shop near you waiting to be shipped out to Phoenix. Maybe I can give you a deal.

I think that there are several fellows on this forum that know me personally and can tell you that I am honest and do not scam anyone.

I bought this TJ new and ordered both the soft top and a hard top with a removable front overhead section. I added a tube front bumper and a winch. I also had a rubicon rack with two blitz gas cans added to the rear. It has oversized tires and quick disconnects on the front sway bars and an aftermarket stereo system with the sound bar on the center roof roll bar and it has side nerf bars. It also has diamond plate rear corners and a CB radio

The hard top also has a light bar with several types of flashing lights similar to a tow truck light bar.

A few years ago a friend of mine was having money problems so I gave him this Jeep and paid the insurance and registration for a couple of years to help him out. I just got it back yesterday and it is at a shop of a friend being checked out and detailed. I have not seen it but I kept it detailed and it looked new when I gave it to him.

Here is a picture of the TJ.

It has the 4.0L six cylinder, automatic transmission, soft and hard tops, new brakes, 110,000 miles, it had 70,000 when I gave it to him a couple of years ago. At that time I had a Jeep dealer go thru it and he changed the timing belt to be safe and replaced all the tires. It is a 97 model and I kept it in storage at the family compound in California for several years while I traveled. I would take turns either pulling the Mustang convertable on a trailer behind the motor home or towing the Jeep TJ. I have had no problems with it. I tried to give it to my grown sons earlier, but they parked it in the garage. They said it looked too much like a police car and their friends kidded them about it. I love my sons but they are not typical kids, they are computer nerds.

It is located near Washington DC. A friend of mine went back to take care of getting it checked out in a shop and to get it detailed for sale. He may have even sold it today because I told him he could. My aunt is paying for the wedding of her grandaughter this month and I am going to sell the Jeep and send her the money to pay for the wedding, otherwise I would just keep the TJ. However, I do have too many vehicles as it is for being on the road. I usually have to store one or more at a time.

I looked up the Kelly blue book with the options that it has.

Trade in value..............$6.400

Private Party sale..........$7,765

Retail..........................$9,240

I am only looking to send my Aunt $5,000 but there will be expenses for the shop, detailing, and a commission for my friend that is doing this for me.

If you are interested PM me and we will see if it is not sold yet, The owner of the shop was drooling over it and it may be gone.

edit: I forgot the most important thing....It has a gold miner hood ornament just like my Commander.

2007Jeep Green Limited
4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Definitely if it seems to good to be true, you are right to be suspicious. (Unless it is a deal from someone like Huey).

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can almost guarantee you its a scam. If you can buy a car for less than half of what it's worth, who wouldn't be skeptical? No phone conversation would be a big flag to me as well.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Craigslist seems to be the central hub of scams these days, just beware!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I can almost guarantee you its a scam. If you can buy a car for less than half of what it's worth, who wouldn't be skeptical? No phone conversation would be a big flag to me as well.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Craigslist seems to be the central hub of scams these days, just beware!
I've bought some small items from Craigslist but a few weeks ago I was shopping for a horse trailer and we found a GREAT deal on Craigslist and it was an ad in a town near us.... BUT the trailer was at a military base out west and he was going to get it shipped to us for free by the military. Then the ad disappeared and I saw in show up again in a different Michigan town. I asked him to email or fax me a copy of the title and he got angry and said if I could n't trust him, why don't I send him a copy of my driver license and check numbers.......... all this thru email..... scammer.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Make a deal with Huey if it isn't sold already.

·
2,248 Posts
Here is an update on the information that I posted above.

I found out that the fellow that I loaned it to stopped driving it because the rear pinion needed to be repaired. I called "Doc in AZ" here in Phoenix and he said he could replace the pinion for $500 and maybe that would even be a good time to change gears in both diffs to lower ratios for off road use. He also has a way to get the Jeep transported on a car hauler that is not full coming across country thru a broker. We are working on getting it out to Phoenix to either sell or maybe make it a club Jeep or maybe even an attendance prize at a future Camp commander.

It is close enough for Patrick to go and look at it and check it out in person. It would be easier and less expensive for him to buy it there. Either way it will work out for me as I would not mind having it again and modding it for a give away. I never got radical with it because it was too good a jeep. Now I would not be adverse to doing most any modification because it is not factory fresh anymore.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i have come to the conclusion that this was a scam. I e mailed him and asked for him to give me a phone number so I could talk to him and ask more questions over the phone instead of e-mail. His response was this

"I am ashamed to tell you this. I can't be reached by phone due to a throat infection. Actually it's very hard for me to speak right now...Feel free to ask me everything you want to know about the purchasing by email. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks!"

So much for that. I did however tell him that when he gets better to give me his phone number, but that will never happen. Oh well... here is the link of the TJ if any of you were interested to see what it looked like http://2001-jeep-wrangler-tj.yolasite.com/

Thanks for the input everyone. Huey I will send you a pm.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thats definately a nice wrangler. To bad it sounds like a scam. That would be a steal if it was legit.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
well, i have come to the conclusion that this was a scam. I e mailed him and asked for him to give me a phone number so I could talk to him and ask more questions over the phone instead of e-mail. His response was this

"I am ashamed to tell you this. I can't be reached by phone due to a throat infection. Actually it's very hard for me to speak right now...Feel free to ask me everything you want to know about the purchasing by email. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks!"

So much for that.
Yep, they always have an answer to avoid giving you information other than what they want you to have. Glad you recognized it for what it was.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only reason I was so interested in this is becasue we are looking for another vehicle since we have a baby on the way. We have 07 XK and a 95 YJ. The YJ isn't going to work since it is a very bumpy ride. (not suitalble for a new born) It has a lift, bigger tires and all that good stuff. My wife wants to go back to work part time after the baby and I have a company van for work(can't have any passengers other than co workers due to insurance reasons) so I need another vehicle. I want to stick to a Jeep, would a wrangler be suitable for a new born??

·
2,248 Posts
. I want to stick to a Jeep, would a wrangler be suitable for a new born??
I do not think a wrangler would be suitable for a new born. I think they need to be at least 16 years old to get a license.....

I am not pushing you to buy the TJ. It just seemed like I should mention it. I really do not need it and I could give you a better deal if I do not ship it to AZ and if someone local could do the ring and pinion. Maybe you should go to the shop and look at it and see for yourself. I have not seen it for a few years. If you decide to go I will call the shop owner and send you the address and phone number of the shop.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have been looking for a replacement for my truck. I have scoured craigslist in my area and have found a couple trucks that were priced a lot lower than book value. As a matter of fact, one particular truck was $2960 when it booked for around $10,000. Knowing that this was too good to be true, I started digging. Craigslist has info on how to avoid scams. I believe it addresses the use of Ebay as a clue to the ad being false.

I also asked the seller of the truck for a number to call and was emailed only. I was told the vehicle was out of state now and that the seller would ship it. Craigslist has details that say all offers to ship vehicles are false. Hopefully this helps anyone looking to get an unbeatable deal on craigslist.

Another clue is if a particualr vehicle is listed repeatedly in multiple geographic areas. The truck I was looking at was in a bunch of different cities within 500 miles of me. I'm not saying people don't list a vehicle in different cities to get out to more buyers, but this vehicle was listed as being in all of these different cities.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Another hint is to look at the picture. If you are looking at a car posted in Minnesota and you see palm trees in the backgroud, as Bill Engvall would say, here's your sign.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts