Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm replacing my F150 with a Jeep Commander Sport 4.7 with 94,000. By looking at the carfax it appears the second owner bought the vehicle at 15k miles and had a warranty on it. It was very well maintained and recently traded in.

I want to start a baseline of maintenence, as I'm not sure if the 90k mile service was done.

What should I do? So far here is my plan:
  • Oil Change - Any pref on wieght or oil filter brand?
  • Air Filter
  • Spark Plugs / Wires
  • New Battery - Optima?
  • Check all suspension
  • Transmission Fluid?
Anything else I should consider doing?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'd take a good look at the serpentine belt, flush the coolant system and run a can of Seafoam in the gas tank, in addition to the things you are already doing. Check the electrical wiring from battery to alt to fuse box to starter for corrosion, if so, clean, apply a dielectric grease to protect. Also, check all the ground wires under the hood for same. After the next good rain storm, check the carpets for water. there's been several problems there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd take a good look at the serpentine belt, flush the coolant system and run a can of Seafoam in the gas tank, in addition to the things you are already doing. Check the electrical wiring from battery to alt to fuse box to starter for corrosion, if so, clean, apply a dielectric grease to protect. Also, check all the ground wires under the hood for same. After the next good rain storm, check the carpets for water. there's been several problems there.
Check the carpets where? I thought the only water problems were for those with sunroofs? This is a sport model without those.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mines a sport w sunroof and skylights...... you should be water free without these. I've battled water for a couple years and was finally resolved the leaks in November. You're gonna love driving the XK, its a great rig.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mines a sport w sunroof and skylights...... you should be water free without these. I've battled water for a couple years and was finally resolved the leaks in November. You're gonna love driving the XK, its a great rig.
Thanks, really looking forward to it. 4WD should be nice for the winters here.

Will definitely use your suggestion of Seafoam, it's something I've read about, just never used personally.

·
Registered
554 Posts
A lot here use Chevron brand because it has a additive called Techron that actually cleans the deposits off the fuel pump and injectors. When I went to buy it, the counter guy talked me into the seafoam, which i've used in the past anyway.

The 3.7 runs great, smooth and quiet. I wish i'd bought the 8 though, my gas with daily city driving is around 12mpg, at best. I'm in a hilly area

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought it yesterday and got a nice surprise! The previous owner had done the 30,60, and 90k maintenance and had every reciept they ever did on the vehicle. It was a stack 6 inches high. All fluids were flushed at 90k and spark plugs changed, all filters were changed too.

I'm going to put a new battery in it and change the serpentine belt and call it good.

They also used mobil 1 synthetic and changed it every 3k miles :thup:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Thats great. Stick with the Mobil 1 but you can probably save some money and go every 6000 depending on driving conditions.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I would go with Mobil 1 also, it costs more but it's worth it and you can use Lucas oil fuel treatment too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts