Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was another thread on this that did not come to a conclusion, since we have this new forum, I figured I would pose the question again.

Has anyone heard of/figured out a way to bypass the in-motion menu while driving for those of us who are capable of not crashing while navigating? :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I asked the dealer about it, he said you can't.... I would love to get rid of that annoying <ENTER> keystoke (I've read it already!), and be able to have the passenger put in an address while driving instead of having to remember to do it before I get going. Hope someone comes up with some way of allowing it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ROCKET said:
I asked the dealer about it, he said you can't.... I would love to get rid of that annoying <ENTER> keystoke (I've read it already!), and be able to have the passenger put in an address while driving instead of having to remember to do it before I get going. Hope someone comes up with some way of allowing it.
New member here.

I have a guy working on it right now and I think he can do it because he said to me it would cost $100 CASH only and he would NOT provide me with a receipt (for obvious reasons).

I will let you know if he did it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, then rip the radio out of the dash and see which line he tied to ground and we'll each chip in $10.00. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm in too.
That damn screen is annoying.
When my wife is driving, I love to play with the GPS but once we're moving over 5 mph most of the functions are locked out. I've read other GPS sites and vehicle sites and some of the fixes include hand brake switches (electrical connections) or soldering a jumper on the circuitboard etc. Can't find anything on Jeep GPS lockout override.
They should allow full GPS control when the passenger side seat scale weighs an adult passenger (air bag deployment sensor system). I read there's a gyro in the GPS system to maintain position updates even when more than two satelites are not available due to overhead obstruction. It may be as easy as cutting a speed sensor wire going to the GPS.

·
Registered
44 Posts
bing said:
I'm in too.
That damn screen is annoying.
When my wife is driving, I love to play with the GPS but once we're moving over 5 mph most of the functions are locked out. I've read other GPS sites and vehicle sites and some of the fixes include hand brake switches (electrical connections) or soldering a jumper on the circuitboard etc. Can't find anything on Jeep GPS lockout override.
They should allow full GPS control when the passenger side seat scale weighs an adult passenger (air bag deployment sensor system). I read there's a gyro in the GPS system to maintain position updates even when more than two satelites are not available due to overhead obstruction. It may be as easy as cutting a speed sensor wire going to the GPS.
Well, my guy struck out. After looking at my NAV, he told me that whatever "CAN" system they are using, it makes it almost impossible to just "cut a speed sensor wire" because the wire does so many other things...he is still researching it, but I am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The *feature* that I'm familiar with, cuts out at 10 mph, and won't let you do anything while in motion. Thus, the below describes that.

On other forums, this has been attempted. It turns out that the *feature* is not dependant on the speed data that's transmitted via the CAN Bus, but is tied to the speed calculated from the GPS Data that the NAV unit receives. And, this *Feature* is part of the firmware flashed into the NAV unit. In order to bypass or defeat this *feature*, you would have to reverse engineer the firmware that comes on the Nav DVD. Then, find the section of code that causes this *Feature* to happen.. Disable it.. Re-compile it.. ( oh, after incrementing the version number so that the NAV unit would even want the new version ). And burn an entire DVD with the NAV data, and the Firmware upgrade ( has to be double layered so it will hold all the NAV data ).

So... it's quite involved.. Some have tried, but didn't make it past the first step ( reverse engineering the Firmware ).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Loffgren said:
The *feature* that I'm familiar with, cuts out at 10 mph, and won't let you do anything while in motion. Thus, the below describes that.

On other forums, this has been attempted. It turns out that the *feature* is not dependant on the speed data that's transmitted via the CAN Bus, but is tied to the speed calculated from the GPS Data that the NAV unit receives. And, this *Feature* is part of the firmware flashed into the NAV unit. In order to bypass or defeat this *feature*, you would have to reverse engineer the firmware that comes on the Nav DVD. Then, find the section of code that causes this *Feature* to happen.. Disable it.. Re-compile it.. ( oh, after incrementing the version number so that the NAV unit would even want the new version ). And burn an entire DVD with the NAV data, and the Firmware upgrade ( has to be double layered so it will hold all the NAV data ).

So... it's quite involved.. Some have tried, but didn't make it past the first step ( reverse engineering the Firmware ).
So, has anyone gotten it to work? If not, then why are you saying "it can be done"? I'm confused...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Interesting thread. I rode with a friend in Berlin last year, his system worked whilst the machine was in motion. I remember bcause I was in the nav. seat listening to directions in Deutsch, "linx, rex" etc. So it's possible, but maybe not in our JC's system....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Loffgren said:
Great Find Loffgren!!!

Do you know for a FACT if the Navi Bypass Speed Sensor module they sell works on the Jeep Commander's NAVI?

The description indicates that it will disable the speed sensor, but someone else on this board posted that it is a lot more complicated than just installing a module.

Anyone actually have this module installed and if so, does it disable the speed sensor?

Thanks,

rjmoose

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I must have missed something. I looked at their product page and all I saw regarding navigation system was a module that automatically accepts the nag screen that appears when the car is started.

·
Registered
44 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
I must have missed something. I looked at their product page and all I saw regarding navigation system was a module that automatically accepts the nag screen that appears when the car is started.
Clicking on the picture, it gives a more detailed description:

"Module Has The Ability To Trigger An External Relay To Interrupt The Vehicle Speed Sensor Wire, Allowing Navigation Input While Driving."

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont know for a fact that it will work or not, it says it will i'll give her a whirl...I'll give them a call tomorrow and talk details.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In order for the speed to be bypassed there HAS to be something to interupt. If the speed is dirived from either a CAN bus or GPS itself then it won't be quite as easy.

However, if the speed IS in fact based on GPS it may be possible to defeat the GPS antenna. If the antenna loses power, the Navi unit will lose GPS, thus losing speed, thus allowing you to program while in motion.

Keep in mind, that whenever bypassing speed information there are side effects. Usually placement is lost for the duration of the interuption. Also, any mileage calculations (MPG, oil change, etc) will be off.

The KPtech module is designed to work WITH the OEM 'OK' button. So, before the VSS portion can even be implemented it would have to be possible to tap in to the 'OK' button. I have never personally seen the Navi unit in the Commander so I have no clue if it is possible.

The Navi 'OK' bypass on the KPtech site was designed specifically for Nissan/Infiniti vehicles, but, due to the nature of the module, it may be possible to use it on other vehicles.

Anyone near Dayton, Ohio?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts