Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally did it folks i got my cold air intake.. after debating this subject for well over a year..or 2... i made up my mind..i went with the K&N FIPK system. reasons being the K&N had a deffinate HP gain and the fit and finish was nice too.. my second choice was the AFE stage 2 but really not much different from the K&N other than it has a metal plate over the filter...if the AFE box was sealed then i would have got it... oh and the AFE was 6 weeks away...the K&N i ordered at 9am this morning and had it picked up and installed by 8pm (after work)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs234.snc4/39037_449653292385_715367385_6094088_3327664_n.jpg

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Very good, and good you got the wrap filter too.

Tell us about the improvements?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
CanadianCommander, Looks like it does a good job separating the intake from engine heat. Do you have the 4.7 or 5.7?

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
well i finally did it folks i got my cold air intake.. after debating this subject for well over a year..or 2... i made up my mind..i went with the K&N FIPK system. reasons being the K&N had a deffinate HP gain and the fit and finish was nice too.. my second choice was the AFE stage 2 but really not much different from the K&N other than it has a metal plate over the filter...if the AFE box was sealed then i would have got it... oh and the AFE was 6 weeks away...the K&N i ordered at 9am this morning and had it picked up and installed by 8pm (after work)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs234.snc4/39037_449653292385_715367385_6094088_3327664_n.jpg
I have the aFe Stage 2. The other major difference that I can see is that the K&N replaces the black plastic box that is stamped 4.7. The tube for the aFe runs from the filter to the box: it does not replace it, but rather uses it. I do not know if this affects the supposed HP gains! Looks good! :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GP-

Rob is right its the 4.7L.

Ahmed-

gains were noticable. power wise the take off and throttle response was signifacantly increased. and mileage wise i was running at 16.5liters per 100kms and i am now running at 15.3l/100kms so yes fuel mileage was increased.

it also made the exhaust tone with my new magnaflow alot beefier...

·
2,248 Posts
When I installed the K&N CAI on my Commander I had a trash can full of plastic that came off the engine. I am sure that it created some restriction. It also looks cleaner without all that plastic.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
OK, thanks for the info Robby and CanadianCommander.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts