Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What swayed your decision on which CAI to purchase? I think the Mopar has a polished tube that I heard can heat up and minimize the effectiveness, same with the K&N 77 series. I have been considering the K&N 63 series but K&N does not list a part number for my 2008 5.7L. Does anyone know if the 63-1549 will fit an '08?

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
564 Posts
That is what I have, the 63 series, for my 4.7, I was looking at the AFE, but when I went to the store to get it, the guy there pulled 2 books out from them and the numbers were different, the same goes for the website, also theirs has too many turns the would block air flow, ( in my case since I have the 4.7).

So I felt better about K&N, and like you said, the 63 series has the black intake that blocks heat better than the metal one, something else I did was I added some insulation to the heat shield to help it block even more heat, I’m planning on doing the same to the intake very soon too.

Plus K&N has been around forever…

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
ROMEO said:
That is what I have, the 63 series, for my 4.7, I was looking at the AFE, but when I went to the store to get it, the guy there pulled 2 books out from them and the numbers were different, the same goes for the website, also theirs has too many turns the would block air flow, ( in my case since I have the 4.7).

So I felt better about K&N, and like you said, the 63 series has the black intake that blocks heat better than the metal one, something else I did was I added some insulation to the heat shield to help it block even more heat, I’m planning on doing the same to the intake very soon too.

Plus K&N has been around forever…
What do you mean that afe has to many turns?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I liked the polished look of the AEM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rich08 said:
What swayed your decision on which CAI to purchase? I think the Mopar has a polished tube that I heard can heat up and minimize the effectiveness, same with the K&N 77 series. I have been considering the K&N 63 series but K&N does not list a part number for my 2008 5.7L. Does anyone know if the 63-1549 will fit an '08?

Thanks,

Rich
I too want to know what is out there for the 08 5.7. I can't seem to find any manufacturers that have the 2008 models listed. Will an 07 fit?

·
Registered
208 Posts
bigvic said:
I too want to know what is out there for the 08 5.7. I can't seem to find any manufacturers that have the 2008 models listed. Will an 07 fit?
I was told no at the dealership. They said that there is nothing Mopar makes that will fit the 08 Hemi right now, and that I'd have to look at an after-market intake.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
564 Posts
UberCommander said:
What do you mean that afe has to many turns?

The kid they make for the 4.7 does not removes the box at the top end of the intake, their intake still has 2 45 degrees turns, plus the one inside the box, that is 3, I’m sure that the intake on the K&N has better flow since it only has 1 45 degrees turn, and it is a lot softer than all the ones on the AFE. On top of that, all of the number that they advertise are different in many cases Y actually saw 2 books for parts by them, and the numbers that they claim are not the same, and it was different on the website as well.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I agree with Romeo. The AFE, while a nice quick install, didn't work as well as my K&N , so I went and installed another K&N, and my mileage & power went back up. The AFE's better than stock, but not by much, and its tube is more restrictive than the stock intake flex tube.

Yes, I do expect some ribbing since I sold my old K&N only to buy another one, but someone had to do some real world testing. MY AFE's on ebay, not going to sell it here after I've razzed on it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Morgan said:
I was told no at the dealership. They said that there is nothing Mopar makes that will fit the 08 Hemi right now, and that I'd have to look at an after-market intake.

Hope this helps.
I would say that anything for the 2006-2007 Hemi will fit the 2008 Hemi. Actually, many of the parts listed just don't have the Commander listed. When I had ordered the Mopar CAI (and I can get you the part number if you need it) - I had to listen to whole pile of "this isn't listed for the Commander" and "Items are not returnable if it doesn't fit this application" - Most of them are listed for the 2006 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7. As far as I know, there have been no changes made to the engines.

Also, the Mopar Tube is not actually polished - it has some gray coating/paint on it. I also like the look of the AEM Brute Polished Tube, so far, performance wise, the Mopar Tube SEEMS to be a tick quicker than stock (mainly with a quicker throttle pick-up). I have yet to see any real mileage changes, but I need to go another 3 weeks or so to compare.

·
Registered
208 Posts
prudemonkey said:
I would say that anything for the 2006-2007 Hemi will fit the 2008 Hemi. Actually, many of the parts listed just don't have the Commander listed. When I had ordered the Mopar CAI (and I can get you the part number if you need it) - I had to listen to whole pile of "this isn't listed for the Commander" and "Items are not returnable if it doesn't fit this application" - Most of them are listed for the 2006 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7. As far as I know, there have been no changes made to the engines.
Well, I suppose at the dealership they're probably just reading off a computer screen. Recently I was looking for a new badge for my liftgate and they told me it wasn't available for the 08 model. I had to tell them to just order me an 06 badge.

Thanks (in advance) for getting that Mopar part number for me. You can just PM it to me if you like.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
Morgan said:
Well, I suppose at the dealership they're probably just reading off a computer screen. Recently I was looking for a new badge for my liftgate and they told me it wasn't available for the 08 model. I had to tell them to just order me an 06 badge.

Thanks (in advance) for getting that Mopar part number for me. You can just PM it to me if you like.
What badge were you looking for ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
jeep5253 said:
What badge were you looking for ?
The 5.7 L doohickey that goes above the HEMI doohickey.

:)

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
Morgan said:
The 5.7 L doohickey that goes above the HEMI doohickey.

:)
Yeah that is what I thought. They discontinued that with the 2008 models.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts