Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone has any idea on what stance DC takes on modifications and voiding warranty. Specifically If I purchase the Commander I would like to install a CAI as everyone I have seen post has said that their MPG has improved.

Any thoughts or experience in the past doing this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
577 Posts
The Magnusson-Moss warranty act prohibits manufacturers from voiding a warranty because of aftermarket parts. In order for a dealer to legally deny warranty work, they need to prove that the modification caused the failure. Say for a crazy example that you installed a crummy intake that did not have an air filter on it. Your engine would eventually be damaged and the dealer would have every right to deny paying for the repairs. A quality intake kit would never cause damage, so you are safe.
another example, I have larger tires, wheel spacers. and a lift kit, which puts additional strain on the wheel bearings and will shorten their life. I know this and would not try to have warranty work done on them, that is going to have to come out of my pocket when the time comes. If I tried to claim that the dealer must pay, they would have the right to deny.
You just need to plan your mods carefully and know that some things could affect your warranty, but most things won't.

·
Registered
126 Posts
petemoss said:
Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone has any idea on what stance DC takes on modifications and voiding warranty. Specifically If I purchase the Commander I would like to install a CAI as everyone I have seen post has said that their MPG has improved.

Any thoughts or experience in the past doing this?

Thanks!
While the person who told me this was a salesperson, and therefore probably not privy to all the little nuances of the warranty, when I asked him about aftermarket parts, he said "As long as you don't chip the engine, we won't care. If you put a new chip in, you're responsible for everything."

!c

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
commanderdrone said:
If you put a new chip in, you're responsible for everything."
WRONG! They need to brush up on their knowledge of Magnusson-Moss. They need to PROVE that the chip (or any other item you add / modify) caused the problem. If they can't PROVE it then they must honor the warranty.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
You can say wrong all you like, but here in the real world if they want to claim you voided your warranty they will. If as HEMI states the item is not really to blame you'll eventually win, but it can take months.

Best to be up front with your dealer to see what THEY will and will not claim voided warranty on. It's the dealer who makes the void claim initially. If they don't like your mods, find another dealer who does.

Also keep in mind, that you can remove the CAI and put the stock one back on in just about 5 minutes. No need for them to ever know it's there when it comes time to warranty work.

My dealer knew about the lowering springs, CAI, JetChip, Custom exhaust, etc... on my Magnum and never said anything other than what an awesome car it was when they got to work on it for warranty items. One of which included a leaking rear differential which they could have blamed my springs on but didn't. Just ask your dealer up front about mods then you have your answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts