Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2007 Commander Overland. I would like to install a CAI system, however, I have a few questions;

1. K&N, Mopar, AEM or AirAid?
2. Pro's and Con's of these systems - quality, performance, ease of install, etc.
3. Best place to purchase from = lowest price, customer service

4. has anyone out there done a "real" comparision of the various systems?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Type in "Cold air intake" in the search field and you will find all the info you could imagine.

I went wiht the AEM Brute Force and love it. I put it on as soon as I purchased the XK so I cannot compare to what the performace was before.

The sound when you get on it is amazing and well orth the money alone.

It took less then 30 minutes to install and they all will install in about the same style and time frame.

Lots of venders, check out the venders fourm for a list of the most popular ones, I think I purchased from autoanything.com

·
Registered
37 Posts
Overland 1 said:
Just purchased a 2007 Commander Overland. I would like to install a CAI system, however, I have a few questions;

2. Pro's and Con's of these systems - quality, performance, ease of install, etc.

I have an Airaid system in my commander, It's VERY easy to install, works great, but I have not compared it to ather systems. I bought mine on E-Bay and found Airaid's customer support very helpful. They even sent me a new part, when I overtighend a hose clamp, with no questions asked.

IF you have time, call each customer service department and let them tell you why you should buy there product!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Overland 1 said:

I have Mopar and have isolated the intake from engine temperature. doing this made it perform much better under high Texas temperatures. If I would get another one I would go for the AFE because it isolates the air intake filter from engine hot air.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jeepney1 said:
I have Mopar and have isolated the intake from engine temperature. doing this made it perform much better under high Texas temperatures. If I would get another one I would go for the AFE because it isolates the air intake filter from engine hot air.
AFE. Where can I find one?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to thank everyone for responding to my post. Great Info! Anyway, I am still looking to hear about the Pro's and Con's of the systems you purchased. So what do you like about your system and what don't you like.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have the AEM and love it...

Pros: it has a reusable, oil-free filter (Dryflow) I have done one cleaning/servicing of it and it couldn't be easier. The sound it makes is awesome. The polished intake tube is WOW! looking under the hood.

Cons: the airflow sensor intallation was a tight fit in the inlet tube, just had to modify the grommet a bit and reinforce it with silicone sealant. I have had no problems whatsoever with it since.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
HEMI said:
I have the AEM and love it...

Cons: the airflow sensor intallation was a tight fit in the inlet tube, just had to modify the grommet a bit and reinforce it with silicone sealant. I have had no problems whatsoever with it since.

Welcome to the forum!
I used dish soap to ease installation, no problems after that.

I think they all work the same, so it really is just a matter of what you want to spend and what it looks like. The performance differece more than likely is not measurable.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I went with the aFe because I felt it had a design that helped protect it from water splash better. The AEM dry filter I liked, but after talking with their sale staff I felt that it had less water protection to water even with a prefilter.

·
Registered
366 Posts
This is the 3rd vehicle i have owned with a K&N intake system and i truly love it, the install was quick, fits great, increases a lil horsepower and a nice sound when you open it up. From past experience, i would say go with K&N *however* i have nothing to compare too. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ShinyBlackHEMI said:
This is the 3rd vehicle i have owned with a K&N intake system and i truly love it, the install was quick, fits great, increases a lil horsepower and a nice sound when you open it up. From past experience, i would say go with K&N *however* i have nothing to compare too. Hope that helps!

Hey,
I see you are from Greensburg PA. I live by the Greater Pittsburgh International Airport.

Anyway, thanks for tip on the K&N set up. Did your gas mileage improve?

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quick question: I got a great deal on the AEM Brute Force intake. But it's listed as fitting the 2006 4.7L, and I have a 2007 4.7L. Am I correct in assuming it should work on the 07?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Anyone else looking to get an intake for their 4.7L, Cardomain has a sale, $171 w/ free shipping for the AEM Brute Force. I price matched to Autoanything to get the price protection for a year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts