Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone ever done a cam swap on the hemi? looking at doing this and wanted to know what everyone thought about it and what cam to use

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I know of two Hemi XK owners that are interested. If either of them go ahead and do it ill let you know the outcome. It wouldnt be all that hard to do on the Hemi push rod motor. Tuning is the only issue. Not sure what all is available in my area.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Im one of those HEMI guys willing to do it, problem is tuning like he said. Cost would be around $800-900 for the cams.. Comp Cams seem to be a trusted company I would go with but look into the HEMI forums for what they run would be the best

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
x2 on the comp cams. I had good results with a stage 2 comp cam in my grand prix.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i cant believe its never been done. Are all the cams out there DOD/AFM delete or whatever Chrysler calls it? yeah ive always had good experiences with comp cams. i saw that they have a torquer type cam too. what size were you guys thinking? Tuning is my issue too. theres only 1 4wd dyno in the area and im not sure how well they tune vehichles. i was trying to see if i could get a remote tune through diablo or something like that

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and on a side note, JP like ur choice in commanders!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
i cant believe its never been done. Are all the cams out there DOD/AFM delete or whatever Chrysler calls it? yeah ive always had good experiences with comp cams. i saw that they have a torquer type cam too. what size were you guys thinking? Tuning is my issue too. theres only 1 4wd dyno in the area and im not sure how well they tune vehichles. i was trying to see if i could get a remote tune through diablo or something like that
Im not really sure how crazy they want to get with the cam. Again it all depends on tuning. Its something i'll have to look into for them. Install would be right in my garage. There would be nothing to it.

and on a side note, JP like ur choice in commanders!

It's funny you mention that because i'm meeting 06JeepXKHEMI from theultimatejeep.com tomorrow for a day of wheeling at Whispering Pines Off Road Park. He drives the identical XK as both of you. 06 Jeep Commander, green metallic w/ Saddle Brown. 5.7 HEMI, QD II with 2 inch lift.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i agree. the tuning is the issue for sure. im going to have to call the one dyno shop and see if they can even handle chrysler products.

Haaha. thats funny. those 2 are the only ones ive ever seen or heard of besides mine. and the fact that they all have the same mods is just CRAZY!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone ever done a cam swap on the hemi? looking at doing this and wanted to know what everyone thought about it and what cam to use

I have installed over 150 cams in various hemi cars.

I installed a cam in my wifes commander hemi along with ported heads jeep srt headers and a jeep srt midpipe (3 inch true duals all the way to the tail pipes)

Runs like a beast- its tuned 100% i installed a wideband af gauge and have been logging and doing the custom tune bia diablo sport.

Gets better mileage and its fast as all get up. Wife loves it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That is me on the other forum 07JeepXK, for some reason it wouldnt let me have that name here, maybe someone has/had it???

I would want to go with a mild cam nothing to serious but want a sitff idle and added power. We were discussing what type of tune would work, maybe a flashpaq 91 tune would work with a mild cam..??

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what type of cam did you use on your wifes? im assuming it was a dod delete cam? would you mind sharing some specs and prices? you can use the diablo sport with all that work done to it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also, did you use the stock headers from the srt8?

·
Registered
10 Posts
what type of cam did you use on your wifes? im assuming it was a dod delete cam? would you mind sharing some specs and prices? you can use the diablo sport with all that work done to it?

Cam i used is a comp cam custom grind 212/212 .528 114lsa+4

Diablo sport is just tuner in order to get a custom tune you have to have someone tune it via a dyno tune or email with you logging.

I didn't have to get rid of MDS/DOD stuff but i did because i have it turned off. With a cam under .556 lift it will still work fine.

I put in new srt8 lifters, also yes the jeep srt headers. They didn't fit perfect by any means had to do some griding and welding on them to make them work perfect and mate up th the jeep srt mid pipes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So srt8 headers will work on the 5.7 with minor modification??

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've heard of people having issues with Comp cams in LSx stuff lately. The lobes flattening and stuff is pretty dang scary IMO. My roommate also sent his comp out to get checked out and they reground it to a completely different cam.. I used to be all for them, but as of late I'd watch out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey Saturate what header/manifold are you currently running??? Maybe you would be the person to ask, will an srt8 header/manifold fit the 5.7 hemi? and how much modification did you need to do for it to fit?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im about to install them this week. only thing i am questioning is tuning it after the install.

·
Registered
88 Posts
im about to install them this week. only thing i am questioning is tuning it after the install.
Let me know how it goes, Im purchasing the OBX SRT8 headers not manifolds so Im looking to see how much work needs to be done.. Also if you need a tune get the diablo sport intune or predator and email Johan, diablotoona @ gmail.com, He does all the SRT8 guys tunes and is very knowledgable on the HEMI's. Let him know you got his info from the forums. Also Im looking to do the cam install from inertia motorsports, with srt8 rods and springs, should be a busy winter!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts