Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Did you do any fishing in Lake Seminole? Scary lake - shallow, stumps everywhere and alligators. My Sister in law lives there and her husband runs the city.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't take the trailer?
No I didn't drag the trailer with me this time Creek......I was trying to save a little on gas but let me tell you, I had Big Blue stacked to the ceiling with gear, and that was only about half the gear I would normally bring.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did you do any fishing in Lake Seminole? Scary lake - shallow, stumps everywhere and alligators. My Sister in law lives there and her husband runs the city.
No rblapham, I usually have a few fishing rods and a couple of tackle boxes with me, I have my Florida Lifetime Fresh & Salt water fishing licenses and normally always jump at the chance to wet a line whenever I can.

However, I left my trailer behind on this trip - which had my fishing gear in it and I didn't bring my kayak along either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My girlfriend and I like to go camping ourselves, so seeing your pictures has me going crazy! It still might as well be the heart of winter here in Indiana. Your XK has to be the coolest one that I've seen on the forum and makes me realize that I need to buy some goodies for mine for camping!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My girlfriend and I like to go camping ourselves, so seeing your pictures has me going crazy! It still might as well be the heart of winter here in Indiana. Your XK has to be the coolest one that I've seen on the forum and makes me realize that I need to buy some goodies for mine for camping!
Thanks @Colt; It's taken me almost 4 years to get to this point; partly because I'm out of the country more than I'm in it & partly due to budget.

Big Blue was bone stock when I bought her in July of 2014 as only the 2nd owner (didn't even have a trailer hitch), here are some pics of what she looked like when I first picked her up;

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks @Colt; It's taken me almost 4 years to get to this point; partly because I'm out of the country more than I'm in it & partly due to budget.

Big Blue was bone stock when I bought her in July of 2014 as only the 2nd owner (didn't even have a trailer hitch), here are some pics of what she looked like when I first picked her up;
Wow! What a difference. Looks like you had a good starting point. She looks good now and looked good then!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wow! What a difference. Looks like you had a good starting point. She looks good now and looked good then!
She was in pretty good shape when I got her but I had my share of gremlins to deal with over the first year of ownership;

1) Had to replace my radiator cap and battery within the first 6 weeks of ownership. The battery just completely died on me, without any warning or prior issues (while out in the woods no less). This may be classified as routine maintenance, but, it's certainly not something I would have expected to do within the first 6 weeks of buying a new "used" vehicle. The radiator cap wasn't sealing properly and would leak coolant when hot, I discovered this problem after about 3 weeks of ownership by finding very small puddles of coolant on the ground after being parked a couple of hours after driving. The coolant was almost clear, so, it took me a few days to figure out, that it was actually coolant I was looking at. I guess I still had in the recesses of my mind, that anti-freeze/coolant is green, LOL. What can I say, I'm old school.

2) After about 2 months of ownership, I had to replace the actuator motor on the Transfer case after getting the dreaded "service 4WD System" warning while trying to shift into 4-LOW which I was unable to do. That was about a $780 repair, when you add in the initial diagnostic trouble-shooting charge of $120.00. I found out after the fact, that my vehicle did not have the P73 campaign (reprogramming the FDCM) done yet, which, as it turns out, was the fix for this issue. I submitted a claim for reimbursement to Chrysler and was paid in full within 2 weeks - there is a thread about how to submit the claim for reimbursement to Chrysler here:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...-recall-5.html

3) The radio display for the back-up camera video, would not display usable video from the back-up camera while backing up. When I first bought my Commander it worked fine, but within a couple of days, my radio display would no longer show usable back-up camera video, it would display it extremely dimly, so dim that the radio display almost looked completely black, as if it wasn't working at all. The radio display itself, for radio related functions, worked just fine. When I first discovered this, it was an intermittent problem. Sometimes it would display back-up camera video - and sometimes it would not. As time wore on, the problem became more and more frequent to the point where it almost never worked - and when it did decide to work properly and display usable video, it would be for very brief periods of time. First, I replaced the back-up camera. This was the cheaper repair of the two repair options I had (replacing the radio was the other), and of course, it didn't solve the issue. Eventually I had to replace the entire radio - that solved the problem. A rebuilt/reconditioned MyGIG radio from the dealership (which is all you can get now - they no longer sell them brand new) is still almost $1000.00 by itself - 900 and change as I recall.

4) The Sirius Satellite radio did not work. Initially, I thought this was just because I didn't have an active subscription that was paid for. However, after I called SiriusXM, gave them my radio information, enrolled and paid for service, I found out that the Satellite radio was actually not working. I couldn't acquire a satellite signal after numerous attempts. The Jeep dealership found after troubleshooting, that the cable running from the satellite radio, to the satellite radio antenna - which is routed up through the headliner to the satellite antenna on the roof - had a break in it. The Jeep dealership also said that they found no evidence that anyone had ever removed, or tampered with the headliner before. So, explain to me how the hell that happened? I had to replace the satellite radio cable & satellite radio antenna, because you can not buy one component without the other. This was another $1000.00 repair job - plus another $120.00 for the initial troubleshooting. Most of that bill was for labor. The parts themselves, were fairly cheap.

5) Back-up/park assist sensor kept shorting out giving me the indication that the park assist sensor was disabled. I'd push the button to turn it on again and it would stay on for a minute or so - then it would short out and disable itself again. Long story short, I had to replace the back-up/park assist sensor. This is the one problem that I know developed after I bought the vehicle. I didn't experience any problems at all with the park assist/back-up sensor until I had it for about 6 months.

Once I had all these issues fixed to where everything was working properly, then I was finally able to focus on maintenance, and eventually upgrades.

So, it was a long road and quite a bit of $$$ to get here - and I'm still not done.

·
Registered
52 Posts
4) The Sirius Satellite radio did not work. Initially, I thought this was just because I didn't have an active subscription that was paid for. However, after I called SiriusXM, gave them my radio information, enrolled and paid for service, I found out that the Satellite radio was actually not working. I couldn't acquire a satellite signal after numerous attempts. The Jeep dealership found after troubleshooting, that the cable running from the satellite radio, to the satellite radio antenna - which is routed up through the headliner to the satellite antenna on the roof - had a break in it. The Jeep dealership also said that they found no evidence that anyone had ever removed, or tampered with the headliner before. So, explain to me how the hell that happened? I had to replace the satellite radio cable & satellite radio antenna, because you can not buy one component without the other. This was another $1000.00 repair job - plus another $120.00 for the initial troubleshooting. Most of that bill was for labor. The parts themselves, were fairly cheap.
I think I may have similar issues with mine. It will not do anything whatsoever....even gives me the wrong radio ID, which I find strange considering how its linked to the vehicle itself and not just the radio.

That is definitely a laundry list of things you've taken care of there though. Impressive considering where you are now. I know all to well how little things like that will drain that wallet faster than any planned upgrades...gotta love it! LOL

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think I may have similar issues with mine. It will not do anything whatsoever....even gives me the wrong radio ID, which I find strange considering how its linked to the vehicle itself and not just the radio.

That is definitely a laundry list of things you've taken care of there though. Impressive considering where you are now. I know all to well how little things like that will drain that wallet faster than any planned upgrades...gotta love it! LOL
And this just goes to show you what a roll of the dice it is when you buy a used XK.

On the surface, I would have thought I had the perfect scenario - a 1 owner Commander with 62,000 miles on it, no modifications to it, owned by an older woman.

Unfortunately this particular woman either was not very observant - or she just chose to keep driving the Commander as is, despite whatever problems/issues that were piling up.

She traded the Commander in for a brand new mini-cooper at a BMW Dealership, so, I don't think she was letting the problems go unresolved because of budget constraints, she either didn't notice - or just didn't care.

That's the risk you take when you buy a used Commander....how much did the previous owner really take care of it? From where I sit, the original owner of my XK neglected to do a lot of normal routine maintenance and was content to just drive it, as long as it kept running - but since an old woman owned it, I guess I should not have been that surprised.

Now I will giver her at least this much credit - the interior was immaculate for being 6 years old when I bought it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
And this just goes to show you what a roll of the dice it is when you buy a used XK.

On the surface, I would have thought I had the perfect scenario - a 1 owner Commander with 62,000 miles on it, no modifications to it, owned by an older woman.

Unfortunately this particular woman either was not very observant - or she just chose to keep driving the Commander as is, despite whatever problems/issues that were piling up.

She traded the Commander in for a brand new mini-cooper at a BMW Dealership, so, I don't think she was letting the problems go unresolved because of budget constraints, she either didn't notice - or just didn't care.

That's the risk you take when you buy a used Commander....how much did the previous owner really take care of it? From where I sit, the original owner of my XK neglected to do a lot of normal routine maintenance and was content to just drive it, as long as it kept running - but since an old woman owned it, I guess I should not have been that surprised.

Now I will giver her at least this much credit - the interior was immaculate for being 6 years old when I bought it.
I will have to agree with you there. Too many people don't maintain their vehicles! Seems like they look at them like a pair of shoes, once they are worn out, get new ones. Mine definitely seemed better on the surface, but the previous owners neglected it for sure. If I remember correctly, there were 2 owners. Original spark plugs, warped and worn brake rotors and pads, tires that were still usable, but worn out and aging.

Unfortunately, I think I neglected it the other day after changing my LCA's....I had a mean shimmy in my right front wheel due to the hacks that balanced my tires after my lift, so I think it was partially to blame, but I think I am too. I always double and triple check my bolts after work performed...maybe this time one slipped through.

Drove 64 miles to see my father yesterday and on the highway I felt something hit under my floor on the passenger side. Didn't touch the brakes until I was exiting the highway. Within about 150 feet, this happened....now I have that ugly spare wheel filling in for the time being.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will have to agree with you there. Too many people don't maintain their vehicles! Seems like they look at them like a pair of shoes, once they are worn out, get new ones. Mine definitely seemed better on the surface, but the previous owners neglected it for sure. If I remember correctly, there were 2 owners. Original spark plugs, warped and worn brake rotors and pads, tires that were still usable, but worn out and aging.

Unfortunately, I think I neglected it the other day after changing my LCA's....I had a mean shimmy in my right front wheel due to the hacks that balanced my tires after my lift, so I think it was partially to blame, but I think I am too. I always double and triple check my bolts after work performed...maybe this time one slipped through.

Drove 64 miles to see my father yesterday and on the highway I felt something hit under my floor on the passenger side. Didn't touch the brakes until I was exiting the highway. Within about 150 feet, this happened....now I have that ugly spare wheel filling in for the time being.
Yeah, that sucks.

Some jobs I will do myself - but since I'm away from home about 90% of the year, more often then not, I have to go somewhere to have work done, because I'm away from home and don't have my tools & the resources available to do the work myself.

And let me tell you, good shops are hard to find - every time I have to go to a new place, say a tire shop for instance, when I had my new rims put on, I get nervous.

One thing I have learned is to listen to my gut.

If I get a bad vibe when I talk to a shop on the phone - or even if I go to a shop in advance (with the thought of possibly getting some work done there) and I don't get a good vibe after looking around the place, watching the mechanics in the service bays and observing how they work from afar and talking to the service reps, I'll go somewhere else.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, that sucks.

Some jobs I will do myself - but since I'm away from home about 90% of the year, more often then not, I have to go somewhere to have work done, because I'm away from home and don't have my tools & the resources available to do the work myself.

And let me tell you, good shops are hard to find - every time I have to go to a new place, say a tire shop for instance, when I had my new rims put on, I get nervous.

One thing I have learned is to listen to my gut.

If I get a bad vibe when I talk to a shop on the phone - or even if I go to a shop in advance (with the thought of possibly getting some work done there) and I don't get a good vibe after looking around the place, watching the mechanics in the service bays and observing how they work from afar and talking to the service reps, I'll go somewhere else.
What is it that you do that keeps you away from home, if you don't mind me asking?

I ended up having my alignment re done at another shop because I could tell the first place I went wasn't being honest with me and I'm not exactly dumb to how it works. Then the guy who did the alignment took it upon himself to hotrod my XK when he went for a test drive. I wasn't very happy and they knew it. I think he thought I was deaf or something because I can hear it from quite the distance when my girlfriend drives it! LOL

The other shop I went to was the exact opposite. People were friendly, they squeezed me in on a day they were fully booked and don't normally allow walk ins. They had absolutely no problems getting the alignment right and didn't talk to me like I was clueless about what they were doing.

You always give good advice on here. It is definitely appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
What is it that you do that keeps you away from home, if you don't mind me asking?

I ended up having my alignment re done at another shop because I could tell the first place I went wasn't being honest with me and I'm not exactly dumb to how it works. Then the guy who did the alignment took it upon himself to hotrod my XK when he went for a test drive. I wasn't very happy and they knew it. I think he thought I was deaf or something because I can hear it from quite the distance when my girlfriend drives it! LOL

The other shop I went to was the exact opposite. People were friendly, they squeezed me in on a day they were fully booked and don't normally allow walk ins. They had absolutely no problems getting the alignment right and didn't talk to me like I was clueless about what they were doing.

You always give good advice on here. It is definitely appreciated!
I'm a U.S. Merchant Marine which is nothing more than a civilian sailor for the U.S. Navy employed by the D.O.D.

I'm out of the country more than I'm in it typically.

However much to my surprise, my next ship is actually on the east coast right now down in Florida and home-ported in Virginia, so this will be a refreshing change if they are actually going to be staying on the east coast for a while.

Thanks, even if I can't give guys the answer they are looking for right off the top of my head, I always try my best to steer people in the right direction.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm a U.S. Merchant Marine which is nothing more than a civilian sailor for the U.S. Navy employed by the D.O.D.

I'm out of the country more than I'm in it typically.

However much to my surprise, my next ship is actually on the east coast right now down in Florida and home-ported in Virginia, so this will be a refreshing change if they are actually going to be staying on the east coast for a while.

Thanks, even if I can't give guys the answer they are looking for right off the top of my head, I always try my best to steer people in the right direction.
Oh, wow. That has to be a very interesting job! I now understand why you would be away from home so much. I bet that makes your time camping that much sweeter!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, wow. That has to be a very interesting job! I now understand why you would be away from home so much. I bet that makes your time camping that much sweeter!
I have always enjoyed camping regardless, I just wish I had more time to do it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts