Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have been pondering a couple more performance mods on my 06' 4.7

1. Camshafts--- any one have an idea where or what brand i can find one for the commander...my thoughts were that i could use a 2006 dakota 4.7L cam? is this safe or could cause issues

2. Headers---has anyone tried using headers for an Dakota 4.7L on their commander?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well they are ordered...i very nervous about them as i cant find a solid answer wether or not they will work....and it isnt a simple unbolt mine and try them...

i dunno i guess ill have to just giver and hope they are the same

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Robby;

i did check that with my dealership here, the problem is that Dodge and Jeep have 2 completely different formats for their part #s, so they may be the same part but the # looks different
Yikes!
That numbering method must be nightmare to stay on top of.

Usually, shared components within a corporation use the same number....for example, if a power window motor for a Cadillac is the same as the one used on a Chevy, the number is shared.
Same applies to a Lincoln part and a like, Ford part.

But, to go through the trouble of changing the formatting.....brutal.

Well, it was just a thought.

Rob

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I thought if i could contact Chrysler technical support directly they may have a run number for them...

My local jeep dealer was kind enough to give me the direct contact to chrysler and so i called them and asked the same question "are the Commander and Dakota exhaust manifolds on the same run numbers"

Chryslers response---" do you have a dealer number?"

Me---"yes, its ---------(my dealership was also kind enough to provide me with their dealer number)"

Chrysler----"that information is not available for outside use, sorry there is no way we can confirm or deny that those parts are interchangable, if you require commander manifolds you MUST order commander manifolds!"

Needless to say i have now cancelled my order for the headers, untill i can be more sure that they will fit..

Some research i have done suggests that if you use headers on a vehicle that are not the same in some key aspects you can actually damage your engine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ok so i have been pondering a couple more performance mods on my 06' 4.7

1. Camshafts--- any one have an idea where or what brand i can find one for the commander...my thoughts were that i could use a 2006 dakota 4.7L cam? is this safe or could cause issues

2. Headers---has anyone tried using headers for an Dakota 4.7L on their commander?
Check out what I posted on a "year old thread" about the headers for the 4.7L apparently nobody reads these old ones. Just type in headers in the search bar. Did a bunch of research in part #'s for everybody who has the 4.7L. Also yes, Cams, you can run the 4.7L H.O. cams they cost like 340.00 from Air Ram, Not sure if you can run the stock tune with them or not but, they also sell a custom SCT tuner to go along with these cams and other mods they sell.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
So whats the outcome of this? Did the shorty headers work on your XK??????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts