Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QD2 151,000 miles
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I’ve had great luck on this forum to solve my problems with the Commander and have another one to put out to the group.

I had a couple bad TPS monitors replaced but still have this notice on the dash display - “SERVICE TIRE PRESS.SYSTEM”

I’ve tried to clear through the dash menus but no luck. I asked the tire place to try and clear and they failed also. Anyone have any ideas?

Speedometer Car Odometer Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Registered
190 Posts
It's most likely an issue with one of the wireless receivers... The device that receives the signal from the sensors inside the wheel. There are two in the front, one in each wheel well, and I believe one in the rear, somewhere. Here's a photo of one of mine (passenger wheel well, behind the plastic fender). I believe I have the same problem. I still get pressure readings from all tires, but it no longer has accurate tire locations after a rotation (example, the pressure reading for front left is actually the rear right tire).
Fixture Font Gas Metal Number

· Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,372 Posts
Have you tried a master reset?
1. Disconnect the battery by removing the positive battery cable. Remember, the positive battery cable.

2. Ground the positive cable to the negative cable for 30 seconds to erase the electric charge in the capacitors.

3. Reconnect the positive cable to the battery.

4. Turn the key to on but do not start.

5. Turn the headlights on.

6. Turn the headlights off.

7. Turn the key off.

· Registered
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QD2 151,000 miles
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the tip- just did as you instructed and problem solved!!
It’s amazing - I had two different tire places tell me they were not able to clear it.
It was just one of those things that annoyed me every time I dove anywhere. I’m very happy to get it resolved. Thanks again.

1. Disconnect the battery by removing the positive battery cable. Remember, the positive battery cable.

2. Ground the positive cable to the negative cable for 30 seconds to erase the electric charge in the capacitors.

7. Turn the key off.

· Registered
190 Posts

7. Turn the key off.
I will also try this!

Reactions: Arapahoe and B94510

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts

7. Turn the key off.
I'm going to bookmark this!

· Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 146k miles
256 Posts

7. Turn the key off.

Just saw this. I've had that message on my Commander for years.... just learned to live with it. Just to clarify step 2, are you just touching the end of the positive cable to the negative post for 30 seconds?
I'll have to try this tomorrow. Thanks!

· Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,372 Posts
Yes only remove the + positive battery cable and then touch it to the negative - post that still has the cable attached.

Reactions: Arapahoe

· Registered
256 Posts
I just performed the reset this morning. So far so good, but I won't know if it's fixed for sure until after I drive it a while. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: jklightner

· Registered
69 Posts
I've been having this issue for a while now. The WCM will display that warning if any DTC for the TPMS system exists. It helps to use JSCAN to access the WCM see which exact code you have. I had C2173 which was for the communication error for one of the wireless transponders in the wheel well - not actually the TPMS sensors themselves. I had all 5 replaced with OEM from rockauto, but the error message persists. Turns out, at least for mine, the wiring harness for the passenger front module was corroded, leading to the module itself reporting an intermittent signal to the WCM. Replacing the module on the firewall doesn't fix the issue, I needed to repair the harness.

So keep this in mind if that message comes back after the master reset, or replacing your TPMS sensors. If you need help finding info about your DTC's let me know, I can look it up on dealer repair manuals

· Registered
256 Posts
I've been having this issue for a while now. The WCM will display that warning if any DTC for the TPMS system exists. It helps to use JSCAN to access the WCM see which exact code you have. I had C2173 which was for the communication error for one of the wireless transponders in the wheel well - not actually the TPMS sensors themselves. I had all 5 replaced with OEM from rockauto, but the error message persists. Turns out, at least for mine, the wiring harness for the passenger front module was corroded, leading to the module itself reporting an intermittent signal to the WCM. Replacing the module on the firewall doesn't fix the issue, I needed to repair the harness.

So keep this in mind if that message comes back after the master reset, or replacing your TPMS sensors. If you need help finding info about your DTC's let me know, I can look it up on dealer repair manuals

Well, after almost a full day of not seeing the message after the reset, it came on again 4 minutes before I pulled into my garage. Weird that it stayed off for most to the day after the reset.

· Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
277 Posts
Well, after almost a full day of not seeing the message after the reset, it came on again 4 minutes before I pulled into my garage. Weird that it stayed off for most to the day after the reset.
I think it takes a certain number of drive cycles and / or driving above a certain speed for a specific time for the system to check and report errors. Kind of like when you replace a TPMS sensor in a tire, it'll report an error but after driving for a while it goes away. You reset the system and after driving for a while it reported the error again.

· Registered
256 Posts
I think it takes a certain number of drive cycles and / or driving above a certain speed for a specific time for the system to check and report errors. Kind of like when you replace a TPMS sensor in a tire, it'll report an error but after driving for a while it goes away. You reset the system and after driving for a while it reported the error again.

I hope so. I'll give it a while and see what happens. If it doesn't clear, I'll try the reset again. What's odd is if I cycle through the messages to my tire pressures, they all show 35 psi, so the sensors and receivers are working at that level.

Reactions: dar124

· Registered
69 Posts
Try and get your actual DTC. They can show pressures just fine, but if the signal is intermittent, youll still get a code for "module performance" or similar. If you dont have access to a scantool, a bluetooth OBD reader and Jscan or AlphaOBD apps are all youd need

1 - 14 of 14 Posts