Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eventually I start to think seriously about lifting my Commander.

for the front lift I may use spacers above the shock and spring.

but my question is about the rear lift, Can the air-lift using air bags (as in the pic below) be used for lifting the Commander for about 1.5" to 2" from its original hight? without any load.

I want to get the benefit of the air-lift to support high load and keep the vehicle leveled, and lifting it in the same it for ground clearance.

Any disadvantages in the Air-lift?

·
2,248 Posts
We were not ignoring you. I have been giving it some thought. For what it is worth this is what I think about using the air lift insert bags.

First I am not sure if you would get as much lift. The bags are designed to firm up the springs and to either eliminate sagging springs or to counter the effects of adding weight. I have these same air bags inside the coil springs on the front of one of my Motor Coaches. It does return the ride height but it does not raise it above normal. The larger bags that mount above leaf springs do raise the height, ( but that does not apply to our situation). I think that to get any real lift you need spacers, longer springs or something like that. The air bags would also give you a stiffer ride because thay do limit spring compression.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
I had a YJ with leaf springs and I added an air system to it. I mounted an air bag above each leaf spring. If I got hung up I would just hit the button and the air compressor would lift the entire jeep off the obstruction. I used it in a manner similar to the guys that stay in 2 wheel drive until they get stuck and then use 4 wheel drive to get unstuck.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your feedback,

it seems that it is not a good way for lifting!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts