Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2007 JC in to Bestbuy yesterday to get an aftermarket head unit installed and they told me I needed a Can Bus adapter kit that was $150.00. I wasn't prepared to shell out an extra 200 bucks on adapters for another radio so I didn't get it. (Faceplate adapter and Antenna adapter were another 50) Does anyone know if we really need this adapter and if so is it something thats so intricate we can't build ourselves. I don't quite understand why the radio would need to talk to the engine. Thats some marvelous engineering.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
The radio doesn't need to talk to the engine, but there are three separate CAN systems in the XK, and the radio integrates into one of them. The adapter shouldn't be that expensive for a basic radio upgrade. I think its so complicated so that one can add the NAV radio, DVD system and other things that do need to integrate with the XK's systems, like the backup sensors and UConnect.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You should only really need it if you have the steering wheel controls and want them to keep working. Some DCX vehicles with an upgraded EVIC also display station information in the EVIC, this is sent over the data bus and would also require the adapter. When hooking into factory speakers with an upgraded factory system that uses an external amp you would also probably need the adapter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts