Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:program:i was doing some research this morning and couldnt find any new threads on this so ill ask, whats the best way to put in fog lights if your commander didnt come with them ? i hate the look without fog lights... im guessing to buy the OEM fog lights off ebay or somthing ? but if my jeep didnt come with wiring for fog lights i will just have to get my own ? and what all would i need i just want them to turn on whenever my parking lights are switched on / headlights.... thanks guys !

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
What year is your commander?
There are knockouts in front where the fog lights go.
You can buy them on eBay or dealer, your commander is pre wired.
Then you have to buy the stalk for the switch and install it.
Take the XK to the dealer to be star scanned.
Foglight Installation Guide
Try site that sell aftermarket jeep gear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a 2008 commander all commanders are pre wired for fog lights ? just everything ive seen online are like $200 + for OEM fogs ... do you know how much dealer charges scan it ?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Once it is installed, the dealer has to do the scan. They will most likely charge you.

There is anouther route to try, and that is to run your own wires and switch.
Which is what i did.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so you just bought OEM fog lights ? then bought some wiring at your local auto parts store ? could i do that ? it would be pretty cheaping doing it that way

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
so you just bought OEM fog lights ? then bought some wiring at your local auto parts store ? could i do that ? it would be pretty cheaping doing it that way
Cheeping as in looks poorly or cheeping that's the inexpensive way for me?

if you want to do it, it is easy.
I use the install like this for most projects.

Fog lights

Fog Lights

Smoked Fog Lights

Check these lights. Let me know if you have more questions. But install heavy wire from light to relay 10 or 12 gauge.

Here is a list of my mods.
MODS Fog lights are the first.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I got mine from Ebay and were $30 for the set, no bulbs. I ran my own wiring and switch/relay. This way I can turn them on whenever I want (with ignition to "on").
-Lights= $30
-Bulbs= $12
-Wire= Free
-Relay= Free
-Labor= Free
Total= $ 42

If you go the factory route..You can still buy the $30 lights, bulbs, stalk, relay, and have it scanned. Use existing harness and they will only turn on when your lights are on.

-Lights= $30
-Bulbs= $12
-Relay= $15ish
-Labor= Free
-Scan= $65
Total= $122ish plus tax....

My $0.02

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i was thinking about getting those fog light assembly from rock auto and just getting my own wiring and hooking it up that way... im going to put HIDs in them i already have ballest so i would just have to get bulbs ...

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
yeah i was thinking about getting those fog light assembly from rock auto and just getting my own wiring and hooking it up that way... im going to put HIDs in them i already have ballest so i would just have to get bulbs ...
Would the HID lights get very hot?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah but with OEM fogs the plastic can handle the heat... but to make things easier on myself ill probly buy just some brighter white bulbs... going to order the fogs today and hopefully this weekend buy some wiring and a switch and see what happens !

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
yeah but with OEM fogs the plastic can handle the heat...
but to make things easier on myself ill probly buy just some brighter white bulbs...
going to order the fogs today and hopefully this weekend buy some wiring and a
switch and see what happens !
Be sure the wire to the relay is 10 or 12g. from the relay to the switch can be 14
or 16. I suggest 10 from the light to the relay and 14 to the switch.

Make sure the switch is somewhere you wont turn on everytime you get in, out
or bump it.

Don't use too bright a bulb or it will melt the relay. Use a 40 amp relay if you
can. Not less than 30. and a 30amp inline fuse.

Don't hook up the relay backwards and fry your switch. Get lots of zip ties.

Wiring suggestions:

Wiring

Relay Wiring

1 - 13 of 13 Posts