Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for the answer, but couldn't find a 100% positive answer...

Wanting to replace the Goodyear Forteras with BFG AT KO's (have BFG's on all my rigs), but the smallest size they offer is a 245/75.

Will I have any issues with rubbing on fenders or suspension components?

This is my DD and will get no offroad action until much later in life.

I know that the speedo and computer info will be hosed up, but I'm used to guesstimating my actual speed and I don't really care about all the other computer info. That stuff was not a big selling point for me anyway.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

·
Registered
218 Posts
My initial guess would be yes, especially if it's a daily driver and you're not climbing rocks in it.

btw:

2006 Jeep Commander 65th edition
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited
1996 Jeep Cherokee (sold when we got the Commander, the driveway is only so big)
1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JeepRig said:
My initial guess would be yes, especially if it's a daily driver and you're not climbing rocks in it.

btw:

2006 Jeep Commander 65th edition
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited
1996 Jeep Cherokee (sold when we got the Commander, the driveway is only so big)
1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Nice collection!
You just need to pour more driveway... front lawns are overrrated. ;)

I'm also thinking that this tire size will fit after inspecting the fender flares a bit more.

We're talking about the same tire width (9.64") and an overall diameter of 29.5" on the stock Goodyear versus 31.4" on the BFG's (either the info on the BFG site is wrong or my math is wrong, cuz I came up with 31.4" and they list 31.6" on their site).
Divide the height difference by 2, and you end up with an additional 0.95" on each side of the tire.

Still, I'd like to see if anyone on this forum has real-world experience with this tire size...

anyone?...
anyone?...

Bueller?...
Bueller?...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Adding an inch here or there may not seem much, until you're at your extremes. I did this with a 2k frontier, moving from the stock 29.5"s to ~ 31"s, and found that even though it appeared that I had plenty of clearance, when fully extended and turning, I got rub. Think it doesn't happen much? Parking Garages and Speed bumps =)

In truth, it's unlikely to be a major issue for you unless you're wheeling. If that's the case, get one of those 2" BBs or something.

!c

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True.
I'm comfortable with occasional tire rub, so I'm going to take the plunge & get the BFG's mounted tomorrow.
If it becomes a big issue then I can talk my wife into ordering a 2" BB.
I'll keep you updated!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I am running 245/70R17 SilentArmors with absolutely no rub. I am not sure how much less than half an inch of radius would effect it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How are you liking those Wranglers?

The SilentArmor was my original choice (since they actually have the OEM tire size), but I ended up going with the old standby.

Most of the reviews I've read on the Goodyear Wranglers say they are an excellent tire.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The SilentArmors are a great tire so far. I put them on my Cherokee when they first came out and liked them a ton. So when the Commander came into the dealership I had SilentArmors installed on it before I took delivery. They have quite an agressive tread. They have the second best off-road rating (only passed by the MTRs) of the Goodyear tires. They are rated exceptionally high for snow.

I air mine to 36psi (at 75F ambient temperature) which gives a good ride quality. At 70 - 80mph the Commander is extremely smooth. The Commander is insulated enough that the aggressive tread doesn't cause any more noise in the cabin. The tires kevlar belt also helps reduce the noise (hence the SilentArmor name).

They basically take all the ruggedness of an MTR and combine it with the smooth, quiet ride of a Fortera. I am not sure why these tires are not the standard tires for the XK.

One thing to note, Goodyear is currently (or was last week) on strike so getting these tires before the new year may not be possible. My dad was going to put these tires on his 2004 WJ but he is still waiting for them at the moment.

The 245/70/R17s give you half an inch more of ground clearance (about 1" larger diameter) and do not rub at all. You may be able to go with the 245/75/R17s with no rub but you would probably want to test fit them before paying for them. :)

·
Administrator
16,139 Posts
rubicontrail.net, can you please post some pix of the tread? Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE:
Dealer only has 3 tires of this size in stock (they are giving me a credit for the stock Forteras), so they are going to have to order the tires... 7 to 10 business days. I guess I'll have to wait until 2007!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
jeep5253 said:
rubicontrail.net, can you please post some pix of the tread? Thanks.
Sorry, I was in a meeting all day so I didn't get back to you. I see spidey took care of it. Also, you can see them in the photos (links) in my signature.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was looking at the At/KOs in that size also. I think it should fit without too much of an issue. Might be a little rubbing at full turn or full compression, but it still should be minimal. Good thing is that the lift kits are so cheap for the XK. My plan is to lift about 2.5" (not sure which kit since there are like 4 of them now) and go with the 245/75/17 ATKOs. AT/KO= best tire ever for a truck. Easily can get 70K miles out of them.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I was looking at my 245/70/17s. One thing about going to the 245/75/17s... check out for the bolt on the steering knuckle. It may come in uncomfortably close without wheel spacers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tristan said:
Hmm.. I just checked and Cooper makes the STT in 245/70/17. Very interesting.

I REALLY like those Coopers. In fact, the STT will probably be the next tire for my XJ (has AT KO's right now, but he's ready for mudders now that he's retired from active duty).

Wondering about the noise of an MT since this is my DD, but if the dealer can't get the BFG's in a timely fashion I might have them check into the Coops.

·
Registered
122 Posts
One guy on the ZR2 board I'm on has them. He got them in 31x10.5 and said they run pretty quiet. He also said they are amazing off road and in the snow.

I really want AT/KOs back on this truck. I know once some snow hits I will be cursing these Badyears.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have a lot of offroad experience over the past 17 years with Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and TJ. I have run all kinds of tires but IMHO the tire BEST SUITED for the type of offroading a Commander is likely to do are BFG AT KO's. True they are POOR in mud as is ANY all terrain tire but outstanding in snow, rain, sand and rock. BFG MT KM'S are very good for mud and rock but not good for rain or snow (except deep packed snow). For a mud terrain they are pretty quiet and long lived BUT you absolutely MUST rotate them every 3k mies and keep them in balance to keep them quiet. john

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to everyone for the info.

One more question...
Are there any online retailers for Cooper tires?

None of the alleged Cooper dealers in my area stock Cooper tires, so they would have to order the tires. Strike two comes in the form of outrageously high prices for the Discoverer STT - every one I spoke with wanted to charge out the ying.

I told the last dealer I spoke with that I could buy a set of Goodyear MTR's for less than he wanted to charge for the STT's! :(

1 - 20 of 76 Posts