Jeep Commander Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The answer to the question is... YES!

Picked up the XK on Friday, and haven't noticed any rubbing so far.
Haven't driven up any steep inclines or through any large dips in the road.
The true test will come on Monday when I drive it into the parking garage at the office building.

What a relief to have some nice grippy tires on this rig, especially with 2 to 3 more months of potential snow or ice.
Steering is a bit more precise, and there is increased road noise (to be expected with the KO's but still the most quiet ride of any rig in my 'stable').

I'll definitely have to add a 2" lift at some point to complete the aggressive looks, but since this is strictly a street DD I'm not as concerned with room in the fender wells.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'll try to post some pics tonight.
No experience posting pics, so I guess I'll set up a Photobucket account and go from there!

The more I think about it, I'm not so sure that I'll put a lift on it.
It looks okay with the wheel wells filled up.

Since this is a DD, keeping it low will make for easier ingress/egress. The center of gravity will stay lower (not such a bad thing when cornering), and it would keep a slight aerodynamic advantage over a lifted rig.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
jeep5253 said:
rubicontrail.net, can you please post some pix of the tread? Thanks.
Okay, you asked for it!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
So those are the 245/75/R17s? Are you running wheel spacers? If not, you didn't encounter any issues with the bolt in the front wheel well?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
rubicontrail.net said:
So those are the 245/75/R17s? Are you running wheel spacers? If not, you didn't encounter any issues with the bolt in the front wheel well?
Yup. 245/75/R17's. Currently, this is the smallest size that BFG makes for a 17" rim.

Running the stock Hulk wheels & no spacers.

Cannot hear any rubbing, even at full lock.

If I can get myself all up in there, I'll try to get a pic from inside the wheel well tonight.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Tristan said:
Now THOSE are what it should come with from the factory!!
Agreed.

Two reasons why the BFG's are probably not OEM equipment:

1)Noise level. The BFG's are quiet for having such an aggressive tread pattern, but the Goodyear Forteras are practically silent.

2)Cost. I'm sure that DCX gets a heckuva deal on Goodyear tires!

Still, it would be a selling point for one of Jeep's 'luxury' vehicles to have BFG's as standard equipment like the H2. (Even though they are not direct competitors).

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I will be curious how you like them after a couple thousand miles of driving. I went with the Wrangler SilentArmor 245/70/R17s because I thought the SilentArmor 245/75/R17s would rub. I guess years down the road when my Commander has worn out this set of tires (I only have just under 2500 miles on my XK right now) I will try to go up to the SilentArmor 245/75/R17s. I love the SilentArmors though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
rubicontrail.net said:
I will be curious how you like them after a couple thousand miles of driving. I went with the Wrangler SilentArmor 245/70/R17s because I thought the 245/75/R17s would rub. I guess years down the road when my Commander has worn out this set of tires (I only have just under 2500 miles on my XK right now) I will try to go up to the 245/75/R17s. I love the SilentArmors though.
I read some great reviews on the SilentArmors when I was researching tire sizes, and they were the runner-up if the larger BFG size didn't fit.

I also have BFG's on my CJ7 and Cherokee, and they are great in the snow & ice. Also great traction off-road, with the exception being mud.

Mileage on BFG's is all about how you drive on them. If you drive your Jeep like it's a Mustang (like my wife drives her Liberty), then BFG's will wear rapidly.
I have 30K miles on the Cherokee's set, and have also wheeled them through 2 seasons on the trails. Still quite a bit of tread left, and are probably good for another 10K miles on the road.
My guess is that I'll hose up the sidewalls before I wear out the tread!

·
Registered
122 Posts
The BFGs on the 97 Ranger I had lasted my 60K miles and I rotated every 10K. I traded the truck in but the BFGs could have gone another 10K easily.

They lasted 45K on my ZR2 before I traded that on the XK. They still looked brand spankin new. BFGs wear like iron.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
rubicontrail.net said:
OK, I let the Oompa Loompas go home early tonight, so this is the best that I could do.
As you can see, there is still a bit of room between the tire and the extraordinarily long bolt.
There is at least 3/4" between the bolt and the tire, even when the steering is at full lock to the left or right.
The only time that I can see this narrow gap being a problem is if you have a really low amount of air pressure in the tire. Since I do not intend to take this rig offroad, it is a non-issue for me.
Let me also say this... I can see this size of tire being more of an issue if you plan to run spacers or wheels with more backspacing and no lift. The front tires would definitely rub the fender flare when going over a large bump or dip in the road.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Ok looking at that photo I don't think the SilentArmor 245/75/R17s would fit because they have a more squared off edge vs. the BFGs concave edge.

I wonder how much DCX could reengineer that front suspension to move that bolt? It is the biggest concern when trying to fit bigger tires on the Commander.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
rubicontrail.net said:
Ok looking at that photo I don't think the SilentArmor 245/75/R17s would fit because they have a more squared off edge vs. the BFGs concave edge.

I wonder how much DCX could reengineer that front suspension to move that bolt? It is the biggest concern when trying to fit bigger tires on the Commander.
Probably done on purpose so that we can't fit bigger tires than OEM size!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Tristan said:
Yeah, seems that the tapered tread on the BFG helped out some in avoiding that bolt also.
Agreed. If the SilentArmors are more square on the sidewall, then the 245/75 will not fit.

So...

Maybe the answer to my question is that you can definitely fit 245/75R17 BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA KO's, but other brands or types of tires may not fit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just did a little checking...

Tires tread width at 245/75/17:

BFG Rugged Trail 10.1"
BFG AT/KO 9.8"
Wrangler SA 9.8"

Diameters at 245/75/17

BFG Rugged Trail 31.4"
BFG AT/KO 31.6"
Wrangler SA 31.5"

Seem all pretty damn close.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Anyone every confirm that the 245/75 R17 Goodyear SA will not work?

·
Registered
81 Posts
OK, just checking to see if there is final verdict on the BFG's not rubbing on a full stock stock set up. I've read several posts that report none, but I also ran across this one:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3341

I know there are other tires that are acceptable performance wise, but none seem to live up to aesthetic of the BFG's (at least for me, and more importantly, the wife :rofl:). So I'd hate to 'settle' for anything else. At this point I'm not real jazzed about cutting bolts, hammering pinch welds or even cutting plastic. Not YET anyway....

So for those of you who have them, what have you heard or, more importantly, not heard :)

Oh yeah, what about the factory splash guards? From the pics I've seen it looks like no prob, but anyone know for sure?

21 - 40 of 76 Posts