Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade my wheels and go to a larger tire size (265/70/17's). I ordered an "Argent" colored Pintler wheel from American Expedition Vehicles. I have yet to install anything yet and the pictures are just to get an idea of how they may look on my XK. I just propped one up in front of my current rim to sort of get an idea of the look. In the pictures, it looks like I have low profile tires and to me makes it look like a ghetto cruiser - a look I am definitely NOT going for. Can you guys please tell me your honest opinion of how you think these may look keeping in mind they will be on larger tires? Does the color of deep grey look alright with my steel blue truck? I know whenever you customize anything, you risk the look of having it pimped out instead of just robust.

Thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Well, keep in mind, the 265/70/17's will be about 31.5 inches tall while your stock tires are about 29.5 inches. That will give you an inch below the rim and an inch above the rim. So they won't look like low profile tires.

As to the wheels, it may be my monitor, but I don't see a big difference in effect between the new and the current wheels. Have you thought about staying with the stock wheels and getting wheel spacers?

I can't comment much on color because of my monitor.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I have always liked the AEV wheels. If you decide you do not like them and want to give them away I will be happy to take them. :)
The larger tires will make a difference but keep in mind that the new wheel is nearly a foot out from where the actual tire is then the camera plays tricks on the look. Check out UberCommander I think he has similar wheels and the tire size you are looking for.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Those rims have a Ferrari look to them, especially with that yellow center cap. Those tires do look like they have a lower profile than normal maybe it is just the photo. I like those rims though. I think you probably would need a slightly larger tire with a more aggressive tread pattern to get away from the look that you described. JMO.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it and think the wheels will look absolutely amazing on your Commander. Especially once you get them mounted on the larger tires. Ill be getting the same wheels for my commander in the future, but I have not decided yet if I want the Argent or the Silver Pintler's. There are a lot of JK Wrangler guys running the Argent Pintlers on the Silver Blue Metallic and they look great. Did you end up getting the JK or the XK Pintlers?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are the stock tires in the photo so I know they aren't low profile, just the angle of the photo that gives the ghetto cruiser look (you can see they are propped up on two pieces of firewood just to try to get an idea). I ordered one of each finish, silver and argent. The silver wheels look so similar to stock that I can't justify the $1000 unless the look will be at least a little different. I went with the JK wheels which have an offset of 10mm vs the 43mm offset of the stock rims. With the larger tire included, the new wheels and tires should stick out about 1.8" further outboard for a wider stance. I am going to mount Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors on these rims I think. I really like your tires a lot XK, I just don't know about the road noise side of things with those............

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think they will look great with some big tires. Nice pick.

Seems like few else read the whole setup explanation- how the wheels are the same diameter as stock, and this is just one rim sitting in front of the stock setup for a idea of the look.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Relax.............I guess a lot of people just look at the comment or the picture without the explanations. I see it all the time in forums and that's how things get off topic. Oh well, at least there is medicine for the ADD's of this world :) The rim is not mounted, just sitting in front of the stock one. Same 17" size and the tires on my XK are stock size, not low pro's - just how the photo looked. Anyway, I think I am going with these Argent colored ones. Just have to order the others and get them all mounted which will be done after next weeks vacation........

·
Registered
269 Posts
The wheel doesn't look right, it looks photochoped.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I think it is going to be difficult to balance the wheel because it is slightly offset in the tire and with those two pieces of logs stuck to the one side. Why did you just change the rear wheels and not the front? Are you sure its not photo-shopped in there? LOL :)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Those are the stock tires in the photo so I know they aren't low profile, just the angle of the photo that gives the ghetto cruiser look (you can see they are propped up on two pieces of firewood just to try to get an idea). I ordered one of each finish, silver and argent. The silver wheels look so similar to stock that I can't justify the $1000 unless the look will be at least a little different. I went with the JK wheels which have an offset of 10mm vs the 43mm offset of the stock rims. With the larger tire included, the new wheels and tires should stick out about 1.8" further outboard for a wider stance. I am going to mount Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors on these rims I think. I really like your tires a lot XK, I just don't know about the road noise side of things with those............
I was actually suprised with the road noise of my new MT/R's. Yes they are louder then the REVO's I had previously on there but there really not loud at all. As for the wheels, why did you order one of each color? Will they let you take back the one you decide not to go with? Im a little confused. Also I believe the stock wheels have 57mm of offset.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The wheel doesn't look right, it looks photochoped.
You need to read the whole thread before you post. The tire isnt actually mounted. He has it sitting on two pieces of wood just so we can see what it would look like. :stickpoke:

I think it is going to be difficult to balance the wheel because it is slightly offset in the tire and with those two pieces of logs stuck to the one side. Why did you just change the rear wheels and not the front? Are you sure its not photo-shopped in there? LOL :)
I think I sense sarcasm? At least I hope I do...lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I don't have buttons to push you guys, but nice try!!!! I just ordered one of each color so I could get a look at the finish of each before spending all that money. The guys at AEV were pretty cool about it and said as long as the wheel I return looks perfect when they get it back they will return it at the most with a 20% restocking fee. That means it MIGHT cost me $40, but worth it to me before spending a grand and not being happy. I agree, those logs may affect the balancing and maybe even the ride quality. Actually, it's a poser shot and I thought I could fool you guys into thinking I was wheeling and driving over logs instead of in my driveway....... :rofl: Hey, I had a thought! I could order two of each and have one color on one side and one color on the other side. My XK would look different coming and going............. or not. :stickpoke: I was always under the impression the stock offset was 43mm. Either way, I like the look even with zero offset so I guess it is what it is. This picture of this XK is on the Rocky Road website - zero offset - sweet look in my opinion!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I wanted those rims but the deal I found was too good to pass up. Install a bigger tire and all will be good.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
To me, it's not the tire that looks smaller, the wheel looks smaller. It's an optical illusion. If you just look at the outer rim, you can easily see they are the same diameter. The problem is that the "star" itself is smaller than the"star" in the factory wheel, thus giving the wheel an overall smaller appearance. I think the wheels look fine,although I am more partial to a chrome wheel. What matters the most is, Do YOU like them?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I used one of the wheel/tire calculators someone posted and for a 17x7.5 wheel with 6.5 inches of back spacing it stated that we have +57mm offset.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, o.k. That means it is going to stick out about 2.2 inches further. I still like the look of that XK I posted earlier and this won't be even that far. Rocky Road says there are some dealers selling XK's with full warranty using that package. RR lift and 265/70/17's on zero offset rims. I guess they are not worried about scrub radius, etc at the dealer. I wonder how much they have to mod the fender wells and stuff..........I guess I'll find out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts