Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to four wheeling and have a couple questions. I have the 5.7 HEMI 4x4 and want to take it off road. I don't plan on taking it on any extreme trails but I want to know if my jeep can handle it as is or do I need to add better tires or equipment?

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
It can handle it. But first you need to remove that lower plastic piece under the front bumper. Also, after you go off-roading, you will probably be tempted to lift it up and get some bigger tires, but its not required. Go have fun! Your Commander will take you wherever you want to go!

·
Registered
401 Posts
There are some good trails in GW national forrest out at the end of I-66 that the Commander will handle just fine. Have fun!

·
Registered
487 Posts
It can handle it. But first you need to remove that lower plastic piece under the front bumper. Also, after you go off-roading, you will probably be tempted to lift it up and get some bigger tires, but its not required. Go have fun! Your Commander will take you wherever you want to go!
I havent had to remove the plastic trim bit yet and have taken the jeep to some fairly testing places.

maybe the diesel version sits slightly higher?

and yes it can handle it, it was designed to go off road.

as polar says ,you will be tempted to lift it and mod it, you must resist the force though. :)

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I agree with everyone else, the XK is great off-road and don't let the word "stock" scare you because they are the most capable vehicle I have ever driven off-road right off the dealer lot. However, if you do not have any off-road experience then you may want to take it easy at first and work up to more difficult stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I forgot to mention this in my previous post but this goes for several threads going on right now. If you are new to commander or new to off-road in general I suggest going on a Jeep Jamboree. It is a little expensive but its a great learning experience and a LOT of fun. There are trails for everyone and every vehicle and the guides are very helpful in teaching techniques.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
First off, welcome to the site, and to the Jeep family.

Secondly, you'll be just fine taking it offroad in it's stock form. Search around the site for some posts from Ahmed, and you'll see that he loves taking his offroad all the time. Ha.

Thirdly, as others have already mentioned, there's several other owners in the area that, I'm sure, would be willing to be a tour guide out on some trails in the GWNF. Depending on how far south you want to come, I'd gladly join in.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I drove mine off road in its stock format, got stuck in some soft, heavy, thick mountain snow and was then "green lighted" by the boss to get it lifted.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My stock Commander does not have tow hooks or skid plates, until I rectify that limiting factor I have her pretty much road bound (that does not necessarily mean paved mind you).
I'd just hate to get her some place I couldn't get her out of.

Maybe after Christmas, but it is long over due.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I off-roaded my stock Commander in Sand dunes too much for a year now ,,, your Commander will easily take your easy trails.

Finally I got mine lifted today :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
When my XK was stock, it performed way past my expectations. That was with the slick-like forteras, even.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes the stock Commander can handle off-road challenge. I've done this before and I love it. Right now, I'm planning to add some inches on my ride.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You can definitely take your “stock” Jeep Commander off-road. The OEM tires are adequate, and the Quadra-Trac system is phenomenal. Also notice your Jeep Commander has superior approach and departure angles (the front wheels are “way-to- front” and the rear is angled for optimum departure angle for a vehicle with “overhang”).

Although the Jeep’s body (making interior-compartment entrance/exit easy) is much lower than the Ford (Explorer, Expedition, and Excursion), and somewhat lower than the Chevy (Tahoe and Suburban) and Toyota models; the Jeep Commander has more clearance and better approach and departure angles than most of the competition. The only large off-road vehicle matching the Jeep’s low-set body and great clearance is the Land Rover/Range Rover (at considerably more cost and much less reliability/durability).

So why isn’t the Jeep Commander the obvious “standard” for low-body/interior easy-entrance/exit combined with superior clearance? It’s only that (and unfortunately) Chrysler hasn’t been able to effectively take advantage of this marketing advantage with effective advertising.

--Spike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts