Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a small apartment complex, and often leave early in the morning. When I remote start the Jeep it honks twice, then starts. Is there a way to disable this feature? I can't find anything in the manual. On my parent's GM vehicles (yes, I know), you can remove a fuse, re-program different things and plug the fuses back in.:cool:

Is there a way to stop the honking before the starting?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yea...me too...I scrolled through the EVIC the other day and didn't see anything remotely tied to that. Haven't really looked in the manual yet.

I bet there isn't....

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Hemi-Overland said:
Yea...me too...I scrolled through the EVIC the other day and didn't see anything remotely tied to that. Haven't really looked in the manual yet.

I bet there isn't....
I thought there was in the EVIC? Isn't there a setting of "Sound Horn With Lock?"?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
jeep5253 said:
Yes--for locking. We are talking about the horn sounding with the remote start.
But did you try changing that setting to see if it also had an effect on remote start?

I ask because, when you perform a remote start using the factory system two signals are sent to the vehicle. The first is to lock the vehicle. The second is to start the engine.

If that setting doesn't change it then no, there is no way to disable the beep unless possibly using StarScan.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
But did you try
I ask because, when you perform a remote start using the factory system two signals are sent to the vehicle. The first is to lock the vehicle. The second is to start the engine.

Wouldn't it send an unlock code, which on mine does not honk even though it does honk when I lock the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
RedCommander said:
Wouldn't it send an unlock code, which on mine does not honk even though it does honk when I lock the vehicle.
I would think it would send the lock command so your vehicle is sitting unlocked and running.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Creek said:
I would think it would send the lock command so your vehicle is sitting unlocked and running.
Maybe I'm dense, but how would sending the Lock command, leave your vehicle sitting unlocked?

I don't have remote start on this vehicle, When you remotely start yours, does it lock the doors, or unlock them?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rubicontrail.net said:
I thought there was in the EVIC? Isn't there a setting of "Sound Horn With Lock?"?
Yes, you're right. I just disabled the "sound horn with lock" feature to test it out, and the Jeep doesn't beep twice now when starting. (In the manual it says press the lock button first, then the start button twice, which is stupid cause it works without pressing lock since the start command locks the vehicle before starting it anyway).

Only downside, is that it doesn't honk to let me know the car is locked when I leave the vehicle. I have to rely on hearing the doors lock to know it worked. Oh well, it's a Jeep afterall and not a Lexus.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I have remore start (added it myself) and the two signals do not lock the door.

All of the other security features like key in run position, depressed brake and putting in gear are to prevent someone from taking your running vehicle. You can start the XK while unlocked and with the windows down and unless they have a key they cannot take your vehicle.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a49erFootballFan said:
I have remore start (added it myself) and the two signals do not lock the door.
We're talking factory Mopar starter built in to the key fob. Not an aftermarket unit.

The Jeep MUST be locked for the vehicle to start. As soon as you press the button twice, the Jeep locks, then starts. It's very sensitive i.e. You cannot open a door and leave it open for more than 60 seconds without the vehicle turning off, nor can you remote start it, then pop the flipper glass, even if your check engine light is on, the vehicle will start, then immediately turn off.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
The only difference in mine is that I have an extra fob on my key ring since the 07 key with remote start will not work with the 06 vehicle.

My remote start is a factory option and it beeps twice prior to starting but will start with the doors unlocked if you do not lock them prior to pushing the start button two times.

The features are all the same as the 07 except that the button is not built into the key, and maybe the 07 has to be locked to start (but thats why all the other features are built into the system.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jeep5253 said:
I disabled the horn with lock but mine still honks with the remote start.:confused:

Maybe it's a 2007 thing? That would be a silly change, but who knows!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
jeep5253 said:
I disabled the horn with lock but mine still honks with the remote start.:confused:
Was yours added after delivery? If not then it was probably just a difference between the 2006 and 2007s. Very few 2006s were delivered from the factory with Remote Start. They were kind of the test bed for the 2007s.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I added mine to my 06, I can disable the horn with lock but it still beeps twice when I use the auto start.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:
I added mine to my 06, I can disable the horn with lock but it still beeps twice when I use the auto start.
Then possibly its just a slight difference between the OEM one added afterwards and the one from the factory. Everything in the Commander is so computerized that there might be something that they can't do when they add one in. ie. maybe the software is slightly different for the factory-delivered ones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts