Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you move the backup sensor bar to a different location so it can be seen better? I have a hard time seeing it in the mirror. It's mounted too high up in the step up part of the roof.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
Can you move the backup sensor bar to a different location so it can be seen better? I have a hard time seeing it in the mirror. It's mounted too high up in the step up part of the roof.
I don't see why you couldn't move it if that's a job you want to tackle. But you will have a hole in the headliner where it was originally mounted.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I have noticed that if your rear view mirror is adjusted directly in the middle of the rear window you can see the reflection of the lights from the bar in the mirror and not the actual light itself. I'm not sure if it was designed that way but it has worked well for me.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
I have no problem seeing it in the mirror. What year is your Commander. I think they changed the location of it from where it was first placed in the ones that were manufactured first. I remember reading that somewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an '06 but with the mirror positioned directly in the middle of the back glass I can't see the lights reflecting in the glass.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
It's an '06 but with the mirror positioned directly in the middle of the back glass I can't see the lights reflecting in the glass.
Can you post a pic so we can see where your sensor lights are located ? Also, what is the build date of your Commander ? It is located on the side of the driver's door.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Can somebody explain to me the backup sensor you are talking about? Frankly, I'm confused. I have the park assist that beeps when you get close to something backing up and I have the rear camera, but I think you are talking about something else.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
My first 06 (built 06/06)had it mounted where you could see it and out the rear window whereas my new 06 (built in 05) was mounted high like yours. I dont see why you couldnt move it. My only issue is the hole it leaves behind.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
Can somebody explain to me the backup sensor you are talking about? Frankly, I'm confused. I have the park assist that beeps when you get close to something backing up and I have the rear camera, but I think you are talking about something else.
Talking about the lights mounted inside the vehicle on the rear of the headliner that work with the backup sensors on the rear bumper.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
They are talking about a black bar that is in the back part of the XK on the headliner, that contains serveral LEDs that light up when your rear sensors pick up an object in your path and using the LEDs gives you a idea as to what side it is on. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Talking about the lights mounted inside the vehicle on the rear of the headliner that work with the backup sensors on the rear bumper.
OK, thanks jeep5253 and AKfossil. I'll have to check that out more closely. I've never noticed them. Maybe they don't have them in the 07 Limited? :ugh2:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
:icon_redface:Ooops, Hey, I DO have them. You learn something everyday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Instead of moving it I'll buy one or find one and move it to another location that will be easier to see and leave the existing one there. You can't hardly see it any way.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I find that I rely on these B/U sensors too much now. I get in a vehicle that doesn't have them now, and I feel lost. These back-up sensors are making the simple tasks even more simple. It's funny how when you never had it, you didn't care... now that I have it, I don't want to have a vehicle without it. It makes backing up so much easier, given the size and blind spots it has in the back... specially with the third row up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts