Jeep Commander Forum banner

Canoes??

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Smitty1970 
#1 ·
who hauls a canoe on their Commander, and what set-up (rack/bars) are you using? Any one have any pics? I have used Yakima racks on past vehicles, but my gunwhale mounts will not fit on the Commander's crossbars. Anyone just throwing their canoe up on the factory crossbars and strapping them down?

#3 ·
Dont you have a tough time getting the canoes up on the roof?? It seems awfully high to me. I had no prob carrying one on my old Grand Cherokee, but think it would be nearly impossible to do on the commander.

Would love advice on you technique for getting them that high (provided your not a 6' 5" giant)

#4 ·
You need help. Its too high. One person needs to put one end up on the rear crossbar for you while you have the other end, then you can slide it forward by yourself. The main thing is the canoe comes really close to slideing on the top of the rear hatch if you're not careful.

#6 ·
its not easy. I went canoeing thurs, fri this week and had to ask the nanny to give me a hand in loading the canoe on top of the commanders factory sport bars. seemed to ride fine. what anchor points do you guys use on vehicel as per tie downs for bow and stern lines (Note: i always put two lines across the belly of the canoe/kayak, but always like another line tied to the 'nose' and 'tail' of each boat). just curious?

#8 ·
I strap 2 across the belly, one in the rear down to the hitch, and then one in front. The front is difficult as I had nothing to hook to. I used an extra strap and ran it side to side between the rails where the tow hooks would be, then hooked the bow line to that strap. The worst part is you need a soft rag under the line where it crosses front of hood. I've got a brushguard coming so I'm hoping to tie to that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.