Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the 4 week old stock Rubicon out this past weekend to get it dirty. Went to Canyon De Chelly in Chile, AZ with the JJUSA group. With all the smelly water and the sand and dust, we got rid of the new car smell in a hurry!
Thought I would post a couple pics from the trip.

·
2,248 Posts
One of these days I have to go there. Set up a base camp and spend a week exploring. Great pictures Tom

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of these days I have to go there. Set up a base camp and spend a week exploring. Great pictures Tom
When you do, let me know and I will join you. You will need a Navajo guide to explore in the Canyon and I have a few names to call.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I really think we should consider a "Spring Camp Commander 2011" in Moab.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Great pictures! I've never been there either. A Camp Commander trip to Moab would be interesting. Would a stock Commander make it through Moab?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Sweet pics, making me miss the area! If I was still out there, I'd definitely have traded for a JK Rubicon like yours!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nice pics and thanks for sharing. Trying to sart our vacation this year at Canyon De Chelly.
Was there in 95.
Moab is a great place and yes there is hundereds of miles of trails for a stock Commander.
Was there in 2008. Rented a house for a week.
Had so much fun we ended up renting a modified Wrangler for 2 days.
(OK the real reason for renting the modified was because my wife was worried I'd trash the Commander 2000 miles from home)
She saw way to many vechiles coming off trails with everything busted up.
Mostly a brand new FJ, sticker still on it, windshield and driver side glass busted, and driver side panels. I'm sure KMAX will chime in here.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Hey PHunkey, what part of the Canyon did you guys go down, just curious if you had to pay for a guide. The last time i went through parts of that trail we had to rent a guide. Any current info about this would be grateful.
Thanks in Advance

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey PHunkey, what part of the Canyon did you guys go down, just curious if you had to pay for a guide. The last time i went through parts of that trail we had to rent a guide. Any current info about this would be grateful.
Thanks in Advance

Strug,
On Friday we went down the Spider Rock side and then on Saturday we did the other side to Mummy Cave and a bit further.

Since we had gone with our friends at JJUSA, Our fees included, meals, t-shirts, guide fees ect. However, you can just go there and hire your own guide for the day. Some guides will travel with you in your vehicle while others may have their own vehicle for you to travel in or to follow.

It is required that you have a Navajo Guide to explore the canyon or you have to travel by the "shake n bake" tour trucks. No wondering off on your own. Its Navajo land.

Two of our Navajo friends that are authorized guides in the Canyon are:

Barbara "Bug" Shirley
928-863-9788
[email protected]

and

Winnie Henry
928- 245-6985

They have been trail guides for the JJUSA group for several years and give good tours of the canyon. Rates can vary but expect around $20/hr for a guide. You can also find guides that will take you camping in the canyon. We plan to do that some day. I should plan a Camp Commander trip there with overnight camping in the canyon.

If you plan to stay in town during your travels there, the Best Western is a nice stay and close by. The Junction has good eats. The whitehouse overlook breakfast burrito is yummy and filling! And dont be surprised to see US taxes and NN taxes (navajo nation) on everything.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Thanks Phunkey,

Good to know i figured you guys had to pay! Never did the canyon run, i will now after seeing the pictures you posted.Thanks for all the info.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I should plan a Camp Commander trip there with overnight camping in the canyon.

If you plan to stay in town during your travels there, the Best Western is a nice stay and close by. The Junction has good eats. The whitehouse overlook breakfast burrito is yummy and filling! And dont be surprised to see US taxes and NN taxes (navajo nation) on everything.
If you plan it, they will come! :)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Yea i think we should do a commander run through the canyon sometime soon... Any takers!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Yea i think we should do a commander run through the canyon sometime soon... Any takers!
I am interested, but my next big event is Camp Commander... Then I can think about Moab.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I agree, just something to hit up sometime.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts