Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well car and driver obviously havn't took a look at some of the pics Iv'e taken!...Check this out they put the Commander down bad!..:mad: They compared the Commander to a minivan!...WTF!...IDIOTS!..

Unless you're conducting some "difficulty eight" off-roading, neither of these SUVs is much fun. If your goal is simply to seat seven, buy a minivan. A Honda Odyssey is quicker to 60 mph than the Explorer, has a higher top speed than either of these SUVs, is quieter at idle, offers better fuel economy, outgrips both, is faster through our lane change, includes steering with actual feel, affords easier access to the third seat, will carry more than two fulgurites when the rearmost seat is raised, and will tow 3500 pounds — sufficient for any of the ATVs, motorbikes, buggies, or two-person campers we encountered at the dunes. Did we mention that minivans are cheaper?

Buying an Explorer or Commander on the premise that you might, one day, need to carry seven persons and tow a Bayliner up to Chicken Point is like buying the Playboy mansion on the premise that you might, one day, have 17 bosomy, dumb girlfriends who all want to live with you at the same time. Yeah, it could happen. But why pay the mortgage until it does?

Heres the site!...car and driver can eat a #@$% and a #[email protected] and they can shove a #@$% up there @[email protected]$%@@ @#@ those #@[email protected]%%$ @[email protected]$ [email protected][email protected]$% ##@[email protected]$! #@!!!!....:mad: there that felt better :D
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/10115/men-in-uniform.html

·
Registered
101 Posts
Frank I could not agree more. But of all magazines to listen to car and driver is not one of them. Ferrari's are one thing but what do they really know about offroading and for that matter an suv. If we wanted minivans we would have bought minivans. I on the other hand plan to tow more than an ATV! Take them with a grain of salt. Actually don't take them, leave them right where they are, on the magazine rack where they belong!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the link to the C&D article. Everyone has an opinion. C&D likes Hondas and IF my goal was 'simply to seat seven', I might agree with them. Sometimes C&D can be entertaining to read. In fact, if they paid for my vehicles, I might take them seriously. However, since they don't and I choose to spend my money based on criteria other than their's....
For example, the 3rd row seat is out of my XK and I currently have no reason to reinstall it until trade in time.
BTW, I had a Pilot. It was a good vehicle. XK is more comfortable, capable and FUN!...to me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There were alot of reasons I traded my minivan in for the Commander. First off, it was a minivan, hated it from day one, but the big selling feature was the dual auto sliding doors, with kids at the age of 3 & 5, it was the vehicle for us at the time. Now that kids are older and can open the doors themselves, it was time to get rid of the minivan.

I wanted something that could tow a camper and I didn't want to be limited to a very light weight pop-up, and I wanted to tow our ATV's, all 4 of them, I also wanted something that could handle trails, our family goes geocaching and although we do have a Jeep Wranger, alot of times we want to bring others with us so 4 seats is just not enough somtimes. And we love the 4x4 area of the Outerbanks, I could probably come up with another dozen reasons why the Commander is better for us than the minivan, but you get the idea.

Car & Driver doesn't understand that not everyone likes staying on pavement.

I have no regrets at all trading in my minivan for a Commander.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Yes, if you need to seat seven day in and day out then yes a minivan (or full-size SUV like a Suburban or Expediton) is probably the best choice. But there is a market for people who don't need to seat seven day in / day out, for people who do want to go off-roading (so are they telling me that the Odyssey can handle anything off-road below a level 8 trail?? HA HA... Oh goodness, I am starting to cry with laughter), for people who do want to tow a boat or another car, for people who like classic Jeep styling, for people who will handle better in snow or rain, etc. etc.

The Odyssey is not as quick to 60 as a HEMI equipped Commander, who cares that it's top speed is higher than the Commander? Unless you are running from the law, across the border to sunny Mexico that is not practical. The Commander will get me to unreasonable speeds where I would not want to be driving any faster. Any faster than the Commander goes will end you in jail for reckless driving and you will have lost your license preventing you from driving ANYTHING. Unless you plan on drag racing or tracking your car (which you aren't going to do with either of these cars), top speed is 100% pointless. Accelaration/decellaration (to avoid accidents etc. is all that should be calculated in anything other than sports cars.) If you need to go blindingly fast in a Jeep you would buy a Grand Cherokee SRT-8 which the Oddysey or anything this side of the newest Porsche Cayenne Turbo can't even touch.

Everyone who has seen my Commander has commented on how beautiful it is, how cool it is, how luxurius it is, how it looks like it is built more rugged than a Hummer, comments like "WHOA, how much did this cost?", "WOW that's a Jeep?", "When are we going me off-roading in this?" are all comments I would have never received if I had chose a Odyssey (which I would never have done as I have Jeep running through my blood).

·
Registered
74 Posts
There's a comparison test, the Commander came in first, and you're complaining? The only sticking point I saw in the entire (rather tongue in cheek) article is claiming the minivan was cheaper. Sure a base Odyssey is cheaper than a Commander Limited but a base Odyssey compared to a base Commander are both going for about $22,000 right now despite the MSRP differences. But that's nothing to get all in a huff over.

And they did compare the Commander to a minivan but the two do have a lot of similarities. They were pointing out that they didn't find the Commander fun to drive (a valid opinion I don't share). If it's not fun anyways you might as well get the more practical vehicle for daily driving purposes. There are very few people to which the Commander would be the most practical choice of vehicle. People who are looking for practical may well pick the Odyssey and I don't blame them. I also don't blame Car & Driver for pointing it out. Don't get mad at them because they don't think your Jeep is fun to drive. That's their opinion.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Kind of an old story isnt it? Besides, as much as I love the Boy Scouts, isnt the stupidity story's theme enough to lead you to dismiss it? I could give a rats patooty what the car rags think of any car I drive or have driven.

Affirmation??? Affirmation??? I dont need no stinking Affirmation.... :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't care what they say. I would not be caught dead in a minivan. There is not a mini van I have ever seen that can pull like my commander, looks as tough as my commander and people get the ?%& out of the way for when it comes up on there back bumper. I did not buy the commander for the gas mileage. My father-in-law said the same thing to us buy a minivan. Not in a million years...I don't care if they do seat 7 like the commander, I don't care if I could get one for less money...no way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Drove a mini-van for 8 years and hated every minute of it - traded the last one in on the Commander - I'm still smiling!!!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I agree Southsidegirl...when my boys were younger had three straight mini vans and swore after they grew up NO MORE...thank goodness they are grown up now so dad can get what he wants. To heck with 7 people (I never have that many in my car anyway) and to heck with mileage ( the hemi is soooo much fun)..if you cannot drive what you like then whats the use.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My daughter is 4 and she LOVES it. The only con is that I have to keep the child lock engaged so she doesn't ram the car parked next to us with the door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just have to share a story about this topic. A few years ago I spotted what must have been the guy who lost this debate with his wife. Because he was driving a Dodge Caravan. However, he did not go down without a fight. Because he somehow managed to jam on the following: Front brush guard with lights, rear tail light guards, side tube steps. Safari rack (with lights!!). I could not remember if there was anything else, as I was laughing so hard!! The poor guy!!

·
Banned
94 Posts
Umm... The Commander won.

Being blinded by hatred over perceived slights from a C&D writer, y'all might have missed that.

Just like you missed the parts where...

- C&D preferred the Commander's 5-speed tranny over the Ford's 6-speed.
- They compared it favorably to the Grand Cherokee (which won the prior C&D comparision between 6 different SUVs).
- The Commander is quicker than the Ford, and almost a full second faster to 60 than the 'average size-M ute' from their prior comparison.
- C&D really liked the front seats, control relationships and 'arms-out driving position.'
- They liked the styling - all the way down to the hand brake.
- They liked the engineering - from the road feel all the way down to the feel of the brake pedal.

Yeah, I agree with them about the gas mileage, the Toyota and the Honda minivan. And - unlike the cussin' whiners posting on this thread - I don't find anything that C&D said to be detrimental or out of sync with my feelings on the Commander; it's more vehicle than most people thinking about buying it will ever need or use, and it costs alot, too.

So?

I think it's a good article.

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
If I took a minivan where I took my Commander, I'd still be there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
First Place! Oh yeah! Who wants a Found On Road Dead Explorer anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts